Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Mutations: description and inheritance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Mutations: description and inheritance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Mutations: description and inheritance

Cinnamon: Sometimes mistakenly mentioned as “Olive”. The feathers have a brownish green colour. This is caused by an incomplete oxidation of eumelanin. Flight-feathers are light blue. Pink legs and feet. Tip of the beak is grey blue. Inherits sex linked.

Cinnamon.jpg
 Description:
Source: http://www.toaparrotzone.com/red-fronted_kakariki.htm
 Filesize:  24.7 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

Cinnamon.jpg

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:

Fallow: A further incomplete oxidation makes the eumelanin granules even smaller and turns them into a greyish brown colour. That makes the feathers somewhat paler then those of the cinnamon. Flight feathers are light greyish blue. Eyes are red with a visible iris ring. Pink legs, feet. Tip of the beak is light-grey blue. Inherits recessive.

Fallow.jpg
 Description:
Source:http://members.chello.nl/h.j.jilderts/Kakarikie.htm
 Filesize:  34.7 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

Fallow.jpg

Last edited by Peter on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject:

Lutino: There are 2 opinions about the Lutino. The first says that it could be a combination of Cinnamon and Fallow. Others say it seems to be allelic with Fallow (mutated out of a Fallow gene). Shows a complete reduction of eumelanin. Body colour is pale yellow. Flight feathers are white. Pink feet, legs and beak. Eyes are red with a visible iris ring. Inherits recessive.

Fallow+Cinnamon.jpg
 Description:
Fallow+Cinnamon
http://members.chello.nl/h.j.jilderts/Kakarikie.htm
 Filesize:  35.1 KB
 Viewed:  401 Time(s)

Fallow+Cinnamon.jpg

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:

Pied: There are 3 types of pied in Kakariki. Pieds show a complete reduction of eumelanin in certain feather areas that results in yellow feather fields.

•Recessive pied: dark iris ring, legs and feet are pied (pink and black), beak can be pink or with a greyish tip.
•Incomplete dominant pied:
This type of pied needs some further research. Probably there are also a number of recessive genes involved, beak has a blackish tip.
•Mottled pied: the degree of piedness increases over a number of successive moults and results in a complete yellow bird. Inherits recessive.

SF-Pied.jpg
 Description:
Dominant Pied?
Source:http://www.toaparrotzone.com/red-fronted_kakariki.htm
 Filesize:  32.84 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

SF-Pied.jpg

DF-Pied.jpg
 Description:
Recessive Pied?
Source: http://www.toaparrotzone.com/red-fronted_kakariki.htm
 Filesize:  39.56 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)

DF-Pied.jpg

Mottled-Pied.jpg
 Description:
Mottled Pied
 Filesize:  66.22 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

Mottled-Pied.jpg

Rec-Pied.jpg
 Description:
Recesive Pied
Source: http://members.chello.nl/h.j.jilderts/Kakarikie.htm
 Filesize:  43.21 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

Rec-Pied.jpg

Last edited by Peter on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff Peter
In NZ we do not have mutations, thu occasionally we get a Red with a couple pink toes or claws and a slightly more pronounced yellow stripe down the outside of the flight feathers, other wise everything else is the same as the wild.
What is this and where would we go from here?

Other than hybrid mutations on remote NZ islands, I know of no others.
I came across a retired 'old time' breeder a few months ago, and we where discussing mutations in NZ.
He mentioned many, many yrs ago (pre internet) he was given a Red Kakaiki, looking at the photos, could have been slightly pied. In those days nothing was known of mutations and he assumed it was a cross of some sort. He gave it way, and the person who then had it never breed off it.
I have yet to speak or hear of anyone else who knows of a mutation or had one,
I have come to believe (personal theory) the mutation genes may no longer exist in our capitive and wild stock.
My reasoning is:
In the late 1800s and early 1900s mutations from the wild where sent to Aussie, UK and Belguim. Also it was during this time Kakariki where almost made extinct in the wild, what remained where a few small flocks in very remote areas. Even this maybe incorrect, they could very well have been made extinct, with populations devaloping from released captive birds.
Anything out of the norm was considered hybrid (including the now highly endangered Orange) and destoryed over the last 70 odd yrs.
Either way the genetic pool was very small and very likely the mutation genes are now extinct in NZ.
Personally I would like to see mutations reimported. Many are very expensive, yet I have had offers of off shore breeders willing to send over stock Free. We have restrictions in place of no importation of ANY birds, even native. These regulations where up for review about 6 or 7 yrs ago, but never followed up or reveiwed. Any attempt to get permission is "NO" by MaF and DoC.

So we are stuck with a couple pink toes and our genetic pool is incomplete in the Native Land of Kakariki.
So u offshore breeders, what do we do with these pink toes?

I or one of the Site Staff will split this off into a new thread later so as not to mess up further mutation info more in line with the theme of this thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Here are some pics of my beautiful KatieRose. She is very smart and very cheeky. She knows where she is not meant to venture in my apartment and when she does I just say NO to her and she doesn't do it. She loves eating chille. I have looked at a lot of pics of Kakarikis but none of them have KatieRose's markings. Can someone tell me about her please. Regards Narrelle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: