Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Can I add cockatiels to Aviary?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Can I add cockatiels to Aviary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Can I add cockatiels to Aviary?

Hello everyone!

I have a pair of Kak's in an outside aviary (6ft long, 3ft wide, 6ft high), the hen is currently sitting on eggs which, if they are fertile, should start hatching in 8 days time. These birds have come from a mixed aviary but have lived on their own for a couple of months, this is the first time they have bred.
I have been offered a pair of cockatiels, the hen is sitting on eggs due to hatch in 8 days time as well, I would like them to go in the aviary as well.

I want to know when (or if??) I can add the pair to the aviary? I don't want to upset the balance and risk injury to any of the birds or potential chicks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, these are my first Kakariki's and I want the best for them! Thanks!!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject:

The kakariki qill have their terroritoty, and in a flight as small as that it will mean every cnr...espevc if gone to nest and even more because sitting
Drop anything else in their they will go ape, even attack....and when the female cpmes out, she will spend so much of her time out the eggs will chill off.
And when the females starts to defend terroriyory, and is sitting or had chicks, gets rather angry to say the least

I would not even think about it...
More I would be thinking what Im going to do with the checks when they fledge, and 2nd nesting box.
Thay many birds in that small space, high pollution levels, water changing at least 2x a day, cleaning floors every few days...

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Toto,

I have bred in a mixed colony cockatiels and kakariki, and as I mentioned before in other posts, it depends a bit in the individuals involved.
Some cockatiels and some kakariki are too aggressive to breed together, some other birds seem to get on well and can breed together.

You could try, but it's very likely that your cockatiels won't breed or they will breed poorly (abandoning eggs or chicks), as they usually get upset from the kakariki levels of activity.
It's very nice to keep them in a setup with no nests, as a holding aviary, but for breeding, it's mostly disappointing.

I currently only colony breed with 1 pair of tiels and 1 pair of kakariki, but the kakariki female is quite laid back, the male kakariki and tiel are somehow bonded (kakariki male feeds cockatiel male) and the female cockatiel ignores the kakariki.
But in this particular case the cockatiel cock was born at home and is familiar with kakariki.

The cockatiels that are not born at home, especially some cocks, aren't that fond of kakariki, so they didn't breed well together.

The best way to breed is to place 1 pair in each breeding cage/aviary, whatever the species. Colony breeding doesn't work out that well unless in very specific conditions.
I tend to agree with Steps it's not worth it.

Cheers/ Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: