Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - My cock kak is caw almost all day.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

My cock kak is caw almost all day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorothy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: My cock kak is caw almost all day.

Dear all
i have 2 kaks (male&female). I suppose they are 1 and a half year and i have them in a cage.He is doing this 1 year now but i used to have a cage cover in order to avoid sunlight comes inside the cage but 2 months now he understood my trick.
I don't get it. It starts caw almost early in the morning around 06:00 and stops when i go near to its cage, the same happens around 14:00. It's not tamed and it doesn't want to because i tried for 2 months.
Now my neighbors are getting angry with its noise and it makes me feel uncomfortable.
What can i do? does anyone have a clue?
The sound sounds like "kak kak kak".
dorothy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I forgot. My name is Katerina and not Dorothy (this is my nickname) Laughing
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi and w3c Katerina ,

First of all, I think your neighbours need to get a life!
Kakariki's are not the loudest birds in the world. In fact, they are the most quiet types i know of. Their sound is not that high pitched that it becomes anoying like with budgies etc.

Could it be you and your neighbour don't get along very well?
I have 2 kakariki's and have neigbours on both sides and above my appartment. Their floor is my ceiling. So I hear them as they hear me. Hearing sounds and being irritated by sounds are 2 diff things. Everybody makes " noise" . I don't complain about their noisy washingmachine, kids playing football in the house, running up and down the stairs and the loud music now and then.
And they don't mind my birds, my singing, my tumble dryer.. etc .
It's part of living close to eachother.

I think it must be something else bothering them.. and they focus their irritation on the birds.
Have they ever seen your birds? Have you ever had a nice chat with them? Sat down with a tea or coffee and took some time to get to know eachother? It might help.

Now, about the Kak Kak Kak.
why he does it? because he can Wink

If it's the early hour thats bothering you. Maybe you could cover his cage? or close the curtains? Make the night a little longer?

The kaka kak around 14.00... Do you have kids? Is that the time of day they come from school? Or you from work?

See, mine get their food around 7 am, just before I leave for work.
So , on my day's off.. they let me know they are hungry around that time by calling out to me. Kak Kak Kak...

Around 5 pm my neighbours start feeding the outside birds. Some of those outsiders are very noisy.. and my kak's sing along with them. Either an alarming KAK KAK KAK or a soft chater. Depending on what birds are near.

I am telling you this because there must be some reason for the time they start to " shout".
Maybe around 2 your neighbours cat is set free and decides to pay your kaks a visit?

How are your kak's housed? Inside or out? Cage large enough for them to unwind? Lots of playtime outside the cage? Toys inside the cage? New toys on regular basis to keep them busy exploring? Time and space to fly?
What do you feed them and when?

Mine are silent while eating... maybe feed them early and give them some more around 2 in the afternoon? Veggies in the morning, sprouted seeds or fruit in the afternoon?

Reading this back I still think your best chance is to sit down and talk with the neighbours. IF they are anoyed, for whatever reason, they will find something new to complain about once you maneged to " silent" your kaks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject:

At dawn and evening animals tend to call out to each other , congregate and have the main meals of the day...
As Gee sugests fedd there veggie mix at these times.

As to the neighbours, I think they have an unreasonable issue,,,Again Gee hits the nail on the head, kakariki are quieter than both the mos common house birds...the budgie and th cockeil....by far...

The are quierter than kids runing around and washing machines.
If u are in the rules of the appartment building, If Gees suggestion re talking (and I imagine that has been done) I would tell them to "go suck on a kumura" A kiwi slang term suitable as u have a Kiwi bird.

Bottom line, if they have a problem and it is withing the rules and niose levels of thew appartments...if they dont like they can move..
If they are going to bitch at a kakariki , they will bitch at anything they can find...which tends to be the case of people who sleep in and dont have a life.

Quote:
have neigbours on both sides and above my appartment. Their floor is my ceiling. So I hear them as they hear me. Hearing sounds and being irritated by sounds are 2 diff things. Everybody makes " noise" . I don't complain about their noisy washingmachine, kids playing football in the house, running up and down the stairs and the loud music now and then.

I could not imagin living in an appartment like that.....

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote: I would tell them to "go suck on a kumura"

signlol lmao
Thanks Steps.. coffee all over my desk and screen..

Quote: " I could not imagin living in an appartment like that...."

Well.. at one point in my (love) life I had the choise between topping my strawberries with fertilizer or to go for the sugar and cream.

This is my version of working hard at being lazy :P
dorothy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject:

Gee and Steptoe thank you both for your advices.
i will try to give them some fruits at those times of the day 06:00 & 14:00 maybe it's their time for food as you mentioned ( Despite of the pellets and seeds i already have in dispose) or they have noticed that i used to leave for work at that time and in someway they say good morning :)
I cannot do something with the neighbors.
I will try to find a darker color cloth for cover instead of green to make night last longer and for them to rest more.
Is there any special mix of seeds i can give them in daily routine? I have seen many diets in this site and i cannot choose which is better.
I give day by day veggies and egg.
Once I had bugies and i know that they are noisy.

Kaks are adorable and i love them so much even though i cannot tame them
Sad
Thank you once again and i hope that this will stop or make it minimize at least. Laughing
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject:

Dorothy, actually kak's are a whole lot easier to tame than budgies.
Kaks are way more curious and selfcondident than bugies. You can use that to your benefit.
Mine "kill" for a sunflowerseed. They are all over me when I have a few of them in my hand. But, once finished, they will fly off to have some fun on their own.
If you still would like to tame him, use the search bar in this forum. Lots of tips to be found there.

However, kak's are not as cuddly as budgies can be. Most kak's dont like to be touched at all.

About what to feed him...
Most on here promote veggies, herbs and some fruit as their main diet.
Seeds/ pellets come as an extra.
Again, a search on here could be very helpful. It sure was an eyeopener for me!

Whatever seed mix you use, make sure it does not contain too many sunflowerseeds. Often too fat for a pet bird.
Don't scoop it up @ the supermarket ( bacteria)
mine get a mix with over 15 types of seed. I buy online from someone I trust.
Others on here mix their own.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Whatever seed mix you use, make sure it does not contain too many sunflowerseeds. Often too fat for a pet bird.

yes
Seed mix a std cockeil mix...
we supply 2 weeks at a time, the eat all the sun flower , and are forced to eat most of what id left...IF they choose to do so..
Other than that is mainly chopped fresh veggies and left overs from preparing dinner, chooped up.

on the left is a "quick search" block

Other real good stuff to 'make friends' with your kakariki is mint as a treat.
Let them get the taste for it 1st...they take from your hand thru the cage bars
Get comfortable, a coffee a book....put your arm /hand in the cage, hold some mint or fresh apple...they take tothe top of the cage, do not look at the birds, ignor...rad your book...they come down eventually, eventually jump on your arm, take a bite.....after a that u may move the mint a little in your fingers, so they get used to movement.
Its all about trust.
They will nip, to see if u are eadable, a slight movement of the fingure to advoid/discoruage after a couple nips.
2 days 20 mins 2 or 3 times a day...
End of thw week he will be confident sitting on your hand amd moving around.//plus more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: