Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nesting for too long!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nesting for too long!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirt9707

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Nesting for too long!

hi all!

my female kakarikis parrot has been in her box for two months now and has not layed an egg. i have seen her mating with her partner and she has been kicking out nesting material (i presume for preperational perposes??) but she hasnt layed a thing... could it be because its winter? but i didnt think this was the case as they are all year round breeders.

and another thing that has come to my attention is that she has kicked that much nesting material out that there is barely anything left in the box!... should i keep filling it up or is it safe for the chicks to have barely anything if the female wishes???

thanking you all for your responses to my topic!

squirt9707 Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
could it be because its winter? but i didnt think this was the case as they are all year round breeders.

That is something Im sure we have never mentioned....
I have never know a new pair to start breeding in winter, well from mid Autumn....
But yes kakariki do breed all yr round, IF they start in the early spring.
Start to prep them around Autumn,, better late summer at least, good diet, paired up....Drop a couple nesting boxes in mid winter.

Quote:
she has been kicking out nesting material

How deep are the nesting boxes,
how deep is the nesting material?
what are u using for nesting material?

Do not assue that a pair mating means eggs or even fertile eggs, espec when they have not selected their own mate out of a flock.
Incompatablities do happen and not uncommon with forced pair birds.
Can be a physical incompatablity, or chance on a couple that have a low fertitly, yet mate them both up with another bird and would never ever know.

3rd and 4th rd week of July is the coldest period on ave in the Sth hempshpere ..just as 4 weeks after the longest day are the hottest weeks

Weather is real screwed up this yr...Im sitting here middle winter when we should be getting good frostes and stuff in a short sleeved cotton shirt, door to the house open and its nearly 5pm...
Normally th house wqould have been closed up around 3pm, a woolen shirt and jumper/jersey on, and would have lit the fire around 3:30 /4pm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: breeding trouble

Hi there! in the nesting box you should have at least 2 inches or so deep of wood shavings ,no dust just sieve out with a collander, if the nest box is left with hardley any wood shavings you risk the chicks getting too cold that are outside the bird and dying! preferably keep the shavings deep at the start before the eggs are laid ,as when they are laying or hatching adding shavings you run the risk of the chicks or eggs getting buried in the shavings! if the hen is kicking out the shavings you might have the bottom of the nest box to the entrance hole too shallow ,at least have the bottom of the nestbox to the entrance hole 15-20cm from the bottom ,but screw in pieces of dowl on the inside up to the entrance hole as when the chicks fledge they will be able to climb out!i have bred my kakariki over winter ,and i find if the nest box and the avairy is sheltered they will breed readily,hope this info is of some help ,cheers
squirt9707

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:

thankyou for all your answers!! i have been using a mixture of dead and alive native grasses which they enjoy as they have nested in them before... ok thatnks for the info about the weather and that steptoe....its a real help! its a box that is about 30cmhigh ( the hole is about 20cm from the bottom....and 20cmwide... its deffinatly big enough!

so how should i prevent the kaks from kicking out nesting material?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject:

For nesting material we use either, or a mix of, coarse chainsaw chips, forestfloor mulch, wood shavings from wood turning.
Dust dont worry about, it selltles to the bottom as the hen gets comfortable
Ladder up the inside, a bit of wire mesh staples to the side below the 5cm hole.
Start with approx 3" deep material, it will settle down to about 1/2 that.
If shavings are too big/long, they can tend to throw out.

What sort of wood are u using maybe the hen doesnt like the type?

As above , do not replace or top up nesting material, when they have finished, keep for fertiliser around your flowering vegiiews....tomatos beans, capsium etc.

Dont worry about chicks getting cold and dieing, the hen will not let that happen.
Resently (winter) a nesting box was under a leak in the roof....rained heavy just a few days after the chicks hatched....nesting material soaked.
It was like thay for some time...long enough for the hen to be so wet she could not flt, and rot her flight feathers.
The male is currently finishing off those chicks and the female is starting to lay in the other box.This is a 2st time yellow crown pair.

Kakariki are not fussy in their requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:

wall Dont worry about the chicks dying?sorry but it has happened to me before ,as the hen sometimes does leave the nest for a fly around,and with nothing to keep them warm and newly hatched can die!and why would you leave a nest box so wet that the hens feathers are rotting out?leaving it full of mould and effecting the chicks and hen !as usual on these types of forums experience doesnt mean anything ,just the ones who can talk the most! sorry for commenting! ,wont again ,as some people ask questions but are not going to listen to you anyway ,and usually overide you ,have a nice day! wall
squirt9707

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:

thankyou for your imput rednut... its all a help! and i do agree with you all the way on that one and steptoe i will fill up the nesting boxes with the material you have listed!!! thankyou all!!

squirt 9707
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dont worry about the chicks dying?

]Well we havnt had a chick die in the nest box for around 4 yrs now...and only 3 die once outside in the lasyt 5yrs.....And with a 85% egg laid to mature healthy adault ratio. over the last 10yrs.
This is over nearly 1000 adault kakariki raised, not including our other species.

Quote:
as the hen sometimes does leave the nest for a fly around,and with nothing to keep them warm and newly hatched can die!

Which is why some eggs do not and not meant to hatch, they are hotwater bottles....kakariki have been around for a few 100.000 yrs they do know when to leave and go back.

Quote:
and why would you leave a nest box so wet that the hens feathers are rotting out?

One would have to be a complete idiot to think it was done on purpose....The roof as I said, devaloped a leak, which ran between the roof and frame, down between the wall and frame where the nesting box had hung for some 9 yrs without issues.
unforunatr Crap happen sometimes at least Im honest enought to admit when things go wrong

Quote:
!as usual on these types of forums experience doesnt mean anything ,just the ones who can talk the most! sorry for commenting! ,wont again ,as some people ask questions but are not going to listen to you anyway ,and usually overide you ,have a nice day!

What ever, but thats not what is said in posts , PMs, emails etc.

It is apparent from server logs that u have not done any background reserch that could substantuate your claims, you have edited your profile, childishly, thinking certain parts are removed....

Im going to quote your 1st post Sat Jun 11, 2011
Quote:
Hi im a newie ,i breed kakarikis and i love it,its a great website so i thought i would get involved ,heres some of this years babies

Maybe when u have 30 yrs with kakariki and breed on a scale that we have, and experimented extensively in that time, I would consider your critisums to have mert.
Untill then , grow up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: