Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - vey strange .. please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

vey strange .. please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abuzaid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: vey strange .. please help

hi,
i got a pair of kakarikis, i bought them a month ago, i tried to breed and did got the right nestbox for them to breed from about two weeks ago, but they keep going in and out of the nestbox but nothing is happaing, i've seen them mating but no eggs, i don't know if they are in the right age for breeding, the pet shop told me that they are 7-10 months old but i think that they are younger .. is there any way to know there age ??

the female is going really strange, before i got the nestbox for them she removed alot of her chest feather don't actually know why !! but i saw her trying to get out of the cage, i clapped their wings to get them out of the cage, and they are now tamed with the cage always open, when they get out, the male starts to chase the female like he wants to biet her, looks very aggresive.

i'm new with these birds, but i like them very much, PLEASE help me Think

both.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.22 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

both.jpg

female.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.92 KB
 Viewed:  93 Time(s)

female.jpg

male.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.67 KB
 Viewed:  77 Time(s)

male.jpg

female2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.39 KB
 Viewed:  98 Time(s)

female2.jpg

Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Abuzaid,

Nice birds you got there!
After giving your pics a good look.. i wonder if the female really is a female. Looks to me like you got 2 males. Could you post a close up ( one up front one sideways) from the head and beak? Just to help you make sure of the gender?

With kakariki it's almost impossible to tell their age after the parents finished weaning them off.
IF you have a male and a female.. give them time to settle down and become friends together. Kakariki are not difficult to breed but they can be picky about choosing a partner.

If you know so little about them.. make sure you check this forum on what to feed them. The better fed the more chance of keeping your birds healthy and them getting healthy chicks.

About your cage... I looks WAY to small . In fact, I would not even keep 2 budgies in there.
Buy them a bigger cage or built them an aviary. Give them more perches placed on diff hights. Maybe some toy's. Make sure they can bath at least once a day. Feed them lots of fresh veggies. Again.. check the quik search box on the left.

bottom line is... Make sure you know all about their basic needs and more.. then offer it to them. And if that's all in order THEN start thinking of breeding them.. not the other way around.

one more thing.. there realy is no need to wingclip a kakariki. Kakariki are very friendly and curious. With some patience they tame very easy.
they are very active birds and need to get rid of their energy. Flying helps them with that and prevents them from becoming fat.
Clipping them might make them easier to catch.. but you don't gain their trust with that. As a matter of fact... as soon as the wings grow back, chances are they will make sure to stay out of reach of your hands even more!

Please read up as much as you can on how to properly take care of them.. they deserve the best. The search box on this forum is a great help and leads you to a lot of knowledge by experience.
Then, if you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Have fun!

Gee
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject:

"ools like 3 malea to me also

As Gee says read up before even keeping a pet let alone bredding
And that cage is way too small, wing clipping is unnessasry and creul
Lazy owners who dont know how to care for their pets wing clip...blunt nut true
Make use of the quick search block on the left for more ifo on diet clipping etc
OK if u breed, where are u going to keep the dozen or so off spring over the next 16 weeks?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject:

hey guys,

as soon as Gee told me about the cage, i bought a newer one big enough for a macaw, and i removed the nestbox, they started to fly again since they are growing there wing feather again, i really do apprecate your opinions, and it's owner for me that steptoe answered.

but beleive me guys it's not my fault that i did what i did, because the man in the pet shop who i discovered that he does not have any clew after i returned to him to buy a new cage, he really adviced me not to buy a bigger cage than the one i already have.

i don't have children yet, but i consider these two as my children, i love them so much giving them most of my time when i'm in home, even my wife is Jealous, anyway .. i brought some new pictures i hope it will help me duno

by the way the female, is slower and don't move or make sounds like the other one .. kind of lazy i think .. and i really saw them mate :?:

F.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.46 KB
 Viewed:  91 Time(s)

F.jpg

Both.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.94 KB
 Viewed:  70 Time(s)

Both.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but beleive me guys it's not my fault that i did what i did

Please dont be defensive.....that is the assupmtion we we make...and one of the reasons this web site was created years ago...books etc are full of BS written by people who have read books written by people....
Quote:
, because the man in the pet shop who i discovered that he does not have any clew after i returned to him to buy a new cage,

If u look thru old posts, that is the most common of reasons why a whole host of things are done wrong.

The person who doesnt ask is the person who doesnt look after and Love (a verb not a noun) their pets.

Quote:
even my wife is Jealous,

Yep they both look like males...which is good if u do not have extened facities to hold stock....
OH and male pets, tend to eventually bond to the ladies of the house hold.... d'oh! :-&
Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject:

but as i readed in the last three days here, all the signs i see lets me tell that the other is a female .. it's smaller , does not move to much tends to spend almost all the time in the nestbox, the head is smaller then the other, & the other keeps mating with her Think

i didn't get what you meant in the last sentence :?: :?:
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:

In the last pic, the one closest could be female, the side shot is a bit despective.

Female cats/dogs birds tend to bond better with male owners and male pets with the ladies of the house....
There are several comments stories about this in older threads.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject:

Abuzaid,

Another way to sex a kakariki is looking onder it's wings. females have a wingstripe like the one on the photo.

Males have only few small stripes/dots under their wing . Not a real defined line.

GroteFoto-G44JDVYK.jpg res.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.19 KB
 Viewed:  3231 Time(s)

GroteFoto-G44JDVYK.jpg res.jpg

pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject:

hi abuzaid,

don't worry, we all have made mistakes, the important thing is your attitude of coming here and change the way you do things for better.
The problem is all that people that do it wrong, and when you tell them "hey m8 you are doing it wrong" they make up excuses or simply think you are saying bs as a defense mechanism, and they keep doing it wrong, even though deep inside they do it wrong.

Welcome to the forum and as you have noticed, here people is blunt, there is not place for politically correct bs in this forum. Can be shocking in the beginning but it makes you improve quicker.

Btw.... when I saw the pics I thought both birds were the same sex, but I'm hopeless at sexing them from pics, I need to have them in front of me or see a very very obvious picture signlol

Cheers/ Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: