Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hello :D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hello :D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Hello :D

Hello, I just got my first Kakariki and she is about 4 years old and she name is Kía.
I have 3 kids they love her but I can see that she don't like then but she kiss them and allow them to hold her. fun the she her with the kids
and she follow me around if I'm walking around the house really cute.

but I was thinking about the mating sound
she have bin doing this for 3 weeks now and when are she going to stop this?
she is alone in the bird cages and I start to work all day next week and is it better for her to be alone or does she wanna company from anther kakariki?

I'm not much reddy in to the breading stuff so can to hens be together and is it better for her to get a spouse?

And here are Kía :)

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject:

Hi...
The mating sounds...one will usually find most pet parrots will do so because of the bond with the owners
Im not so sure from th pics that it is a female thu.
That is a large bird, and the beak is large.
But the overall shape of the beck is like that it can be difficult to tell...I have been fooled before in our own avairies with large birds and that shaped beck.
There is a sripe under the wing...is it well defined or a bit faded/broken line?
If wanting to get a companion, get the same sex, or a different type of bird...like a burke or turquosine....both quiet species.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject:

in my experience 2 kakariki males or 2 kakariki males do well together, and they also get on well with cockatiels

some of my male kakarikis regurgitate food to cockatiels, now the funny part is that I have seen a female chase around male cockatiels when they sing, that was really funny

bourkes.... I underestimated them as pets, I thought they would be kinda boring, but my girlfriend has a female as home pet for a couple of months and she´s really funny. Not the conventional pet bird, but very nice to keep. I would guess the male bourke would be even better as pet bird.

cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
acc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:

so the male does mating call to?
last owner didd cut the wings be fore i got her, and i didd look under the wing and there are no line just yellow and white feathers.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject:

yes both make their own calls...the male a clicking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject:

she make this sound like are in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Ec_TGZ3oY
sorry about the video i dont have video of her do this
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yGuJQVpAxuA
The 1st part of this is the female the 2nd part the male

How common are kakariki in Iceland?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:

the first part in this video is like her.
i only know about my kakariki, and im new in this so im not sure, i have look around and every bird have bin sold and the pet shop owner dont have thoes birds no more
most pet birs are http://www.tjorvar.is/html/cockatiel___disa_.html and http://www.tjorvar.is/html/budgerigar__gari_.html so icelandic forums aboud birds are about those
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject:

hi!

I think the underwing stripe may not be reliable with the pied mutation.
(Steps is from Austr... sorry... New Zealand, and there are no kakariki mutations over there).

If you don't have ambition of breeding, I think either a 'simple' budgie or cockatiel will do the job. They will probably bond with the kakariki (at least in my aviaries they somehow interact and get along) so they make company to each other.

If you ask my girlfriend what has been her best pet ever... a male budgerigar.
I think it could be a good choice, they are not 'petty' but they are really funny and almost 'maintenance free'.
But... very important, get a young male, never a female budgie.

Cockatiels... are very nice to keep, very petty, a male or a female is as good as pet. Also very easy to keep.

There are other species that make good pets, but I guess in Iceland due to the low population and special weather and daylight conditions not as many people keep or breed birds as in mainland Europe (I may be wrong though).

Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Hi acc,

That is a good looking bird you got there!
I think that, with you working all day, it would be good for her to have some company.
Be careful though. If she has all ready bonded with you, she could become VERY jealous if you pay a lot of attention to the newcomer.
A real jealous female could become aggressive. Towards you, the children and/ or the newcomer.
So take it slow.

First of all, If I were you I would get rid of everything she could see as a nest.
This includes the carbon box in the pic. If she bonded with you and if she has access to anything with a hole in it, she could get into breeding condition. Often, in singlekept females that means she might start laying eggs non stop.
If you want her to play with carbon make sure it is open on both ends, like a tunnel.

Read up on birds body language. What does she do to tell you she really likes you? Ignore it,or let her be handled by someone else for a while.
She has to stop seeing you as her mate before you buy her a companion.
Don't do anything to in courage her even more. I know by own experience how tempting it is, and how good it feels to bond with them. But it's not natural and, if accidently taken too far, bad for her since you can't live up to her expectations.

If you would like her to breed, then buy her a male kakariki. If not, like steps and pabloc said, buy her a friend from a diff species.

If you buy her a companion, don't just put the newcomer into her cage.
Give the newcomer his/her own cage for a while. Put the cages next to each other and after a few day's give them some (supervised) fly-time together. Take it from there...

Is your cage wide enough for 2 birds?Kakariki are very energetic birds. If she will spent more time inside, her cage should be big and interesting enough for her to keep her busy.
Specially if you want to buy her a friend. If the cage is too small.. with less free flying than she has become used to in the near future.. chances are she might not be able to get rid of all her energy and take it out on the newcomer.

I don't want to frighten you with horror stories. I just want you to think it through. If you give it some thought and choose wisely.. chances are things will be A Ok!

Dutch greetings,

Gee
acc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject:

wow this is a lot to think about.

but how about toys? she have some boring thing in there but she havent tuch it sins i got her.

how kind of toys do you have?
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject:

I have a net hanging off from one side of the room to the other. Mine is handmade but nets like that are sold in pet shops as well.
The net has several toys laying in,and hanging from, it.
Underneath their cage stands a carbon scratch box filled with goodies such as, a piece of rope, empty toilet paper roll, colorful bottle caps, childproof wooden beads.. strips of newspaper, a carrot or some corn on the cob.

I have a few " wheels" and swings hanging from the ceiling for them to rest/ play on.
Inside their cage is a swing, several perches that vary in diameter and a few toys I constantly change.
In order to keep them busy I place food just out of reach, so they have to try hard to get some. This could be just about anything.. apples cut in half on a string, fresh branches/ weeds/ herbs tied together. Things like that.

I use newspaper and wood pellets as bedding and since they love to fumble and scratch there is always something interesting for them hidden underneath the newspaper.

Slightly cracked wall-nuts, a small piece of liquorice root, lego filled with seeds and covered in Arabic gum... there are so many ways to keep them busy for a while..
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject:

a bunch of garden or aromatic herbs, or a small branch from a fruit tree are some of the best toys you can provide them with, and they are cheap/free if you have a small backyard or you live in a rural area

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:

A bit od screwed up paper, a teasppon or fork..stuff just laying around the place... hunk of rope, bell, old set of car keys...
Dont throw heaps of toys in at once...looks impressive, but the bird gets to know them all at the same time....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a fun toys :D
i took a toilet roll and Put it on a stick an put some frut inside and she are trying to get it out really fun to watch her

how kind of treat do you use to show she didd a right thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: