Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - 2 male kakarikis free to good home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

2 male kakarikis free to good home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daisyuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: 2 male kakarikis free to good home

Hey everyone,

I am located in Liverpool, England. I have 2 kakarikis (father and son). Although it breaks my heart, I am looking for a good home for my birds. I have a dog who I'm not comfortable being around the birds when they are out of their cage and I am also pregnant. I feel as though they're not having the life they deserve. Therefore, if anyone is located close by and would like to adopt my boys, they are free to a good home. Their names are Charlie and Doug and both speak...a lot. They have a very large cage with lots of toys, etc. I would prefer them to come to a home with other kakarikis, but if not, a home where they can fly around regularly.

Let me know,

Daisy x
RoboHip
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject:

Awe sorry you have to do this - it is heart wrenching.

Have you found new homes for them yet?
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject:

Sad please dont let them go to anyone offering homes on preloved or any of the other bird sales websites..... im sure they are dealers and will just pass them on to petshops...to make a bit of cash quick.... i so wouldnt believe "loving home and cash waiting" claims!!!!

I have a soft spot for kakarikies and would have them........... if i lived a bit closer.....if you dont find anyone please let me know

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Daisyuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject:

No not yet. I know of someone with an aviary who would like them but they will be the only kakarikis in there so not ideal. Breaks my heart to think of them being bullied by other birds, but Doug is a bit of a bossy boots so doubt that would happen Wink Thanks for your reply x
RoboHip
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject:

I am very tempted but would need to speak to hubby first. I come across to St Helens, Warrington and Wigan on a regular basis so collecting them wouldn't be a problem.

I currently have 2 pairs in seperate breeding areas and another 2 in an aviary so they would not be on their own.

PM me if you want to know any further details and I'll be happy to pass on my email address too
Daisyuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject:

Ah thanks, May. Yes, I have only mentioned them on here as I know that everyone on here wouldn't have have the heart to separate and sell them and I don't want to make any money from them. I feel bad enough not keeping them but if I do it's selfish of me as I know they would be happier with more room to fly and perhaps the chance to mate.

That would be great, RoboHip. I trust that being on this website you wouldn't sell them, etc. They're a lovely father and son duo; the dad, Charlie is an all-over pea green and Doug inherited dark green and a yellow tail from his mum. Like I said in my first post, both talk a lot and will let you know if their food is running low by shouting, 'hello Charlie and Dougie' when you walk past, hehe.

Let me know if you're interested x
RoboHip
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject:

Awe they sound adorable - I have sent you a PM and will speak to hubby - though not that he generally has any input - he normally has no choice but to go along with what I want anyway - tee hee :)

Won't leave you hanging x
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
- though not that he generally has any input - he normally has no choice but to go along with what I want anyway - tee hee :)

Then Im right...NZ screwed the world up in the late 19th century, and its been down hill ever since...we gave women the vote and its got completely out of hand .... Wink

Quote:
I know of someone with an aviary who would like them but they will be the only kakarikis in there so not ideal. Breaks my heart to think of them being bullied by other birds,

From our experiance...other than a bit of pecking order at roosting time...which is normal, your birds will be fine...even better off, not a concern.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Steptoe. RoboHip is adopting them :)
RoboHip
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject:

LOL Steptoe - def here in my house my hubby knows how the pecking order works :)

I am very pleased to say that Cahrlie and Doug will be coming here to live and Daisy will be getting lots of updates.

I'm looking forward to these 2 little monsters moving in hopefully either this week or next <v>
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- though not that he generally has any input - he normally has no choice but to go along with what I want anyway - tee hee :)

when a guy says/does this, he's a selfish male chovinist
if it's a lady, we admire her leadership

RoboHip, I'm glad you can adopt these 2 cuties.

But nevertheless... 2 kakariki would do fine in a mixed backyard aviary with other species.

Daisy, good luck with your pregnancy!

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Daisyuk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks, pabloc! I'm going to miss them a lot but I know they will be a lot happier!
They live in my living room and i'm so used to their sounds so it will be strange not hearing them! The first thing I hear when I walk down the stairs in the morning is, 'Hello Charlie and Dougie' which is their way of saying good morning. I will miss that!
They will be very happy though; RoboHip's place looks like kakariki heaven :)

xx
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject:

hey Daisy,
indeed you made the right call, sometimes we tend to get attached to our pets and we are a bit selfish and keep them in not-ideal conditions.
good luck and come back when you keep kakarikis again (I'm sure when you are in a different sitation you'll end up building a backyard aviary or keep again pet kikes)

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Daisyuk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject:

Yes, I agree :) I love birds and haven't had a 'bird-less' house since I was 7 so it will be strange...an aviary one day would be great x
RoboHip
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:

LOL - I loved your comment Pabloc, reminds me of when my hubby was in the military and we pitched up to pick him up from work but he was talking to his troop so we waited in the car. Whilst we waited his Battery Commander came over and my eldest (4 at the time) said "Mark, why is my daddy talking to them boys/" Mark replied "Because he is the boss" to which my daughter immediately shook her head and said "O No he isn't, in our house my mummy is the boss, daddy is jus a indian mummy is the chief" lmao the Battery Commander almost pee'd himself laughing and went and told my hubby's troop what had been said. LOL if looks could kill we would have been dead

I'll be giving lots of updates on Charlie & Doug. As I said to Daisy they will always be her boys, just lodging and being cared for by me Wink

And if she ever comes across to the east coast she is always w3c to come and see them too <v>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: