Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Finally introducing myself...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Finally introducing myself...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Finally introducing myself...

Hi i'm INDI and I'm currently living in Tasmania Australia - the little island under the rest of 'down under' signlol I moved here a year ago and to be quite honest - I HATE IT but that's a whole different story Not talking

Before moving here I was living in NSW on the Mid North Coast. I have 13 pet birds made up of a Major Mitchell Too, Galah (aka Rose Breasted Too), Princess Parrot, Sun Conure, blue Indian Ringneck, lutino Indian ringneck, 6 whiteface cockatiels and 1 Kakariki.

I breed birds and have been breeding now for 6 years - I am a hobby breeder and handrear everything because that's what I luv to do. I currently breed whiteface cockatiels, princess parrots, kakarikis, red fronted scarlets and budgies, back home before I moved I had but unfortunately couldn't bring everthing with me I was breeding Indian Ringnecks, Cloncurry's, Mallee ringnecks, red rumps just to name a few.

Anyhow, I think that's about enough about me for you to get some insight to know that I adore birds and love to breed and handrear.

I do the markets with handreared birds, I make play gyms and stands and also other bird related items and thoroughly enjoy it.

So far I have found this site to be very very informative and helpful as i'm new to Kakariki breeding so what better place to get the right answers - you guys rock Applause

Indi3ys.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.15 KB
 Viewed:  230 Time(s)

Indi3ys.gif

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject:

Please share some insight about handrearing in the handrearing thread.

If you haven't hand reared kakariki yet, don't worry the basics are the same.
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject:

No worries I'd love to share any info or knowledge I have. I will however say I am by no means an expert or would never deem myself to be one, you NEVER stop learning...

I have handreared Kakarikis before, I handreared Kowhai my pet along with some other Kaks, I bought nests of young from a local breeder and that's when I totally fell head over heels in love with these little pocket rockets, they are the most amusing little birds to rear.

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:

Most of us breed in flights, with very little experiance if any in hand rearing
If u could share your methods, the whys hows, that would be great.
From there others can put their ideas suggestions
Handrearing is a area not covered in these forums, and need to be... I think this hasnt been covered because aviary bred kikes tame down so well anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Ahhhhh Duh Tassie is here!
It's only taken Duh Dragon forever to figure out how to get back in here. Guess it would help if I could remember which password to use emb but then you of all people know how Duh I can be! wall
Princess
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject:

HI Indi
I am a new member and I have a pair of kaks and 3 pairs of cockatiels.
I also have a juvinile cockatiel which I thought was a boy but have noticed barring on his tail feathers. Is this due to him being young or is 'Paulie' actually 'Paulette'? He is whiteface\cinnimon I think.
ta heaps

princess
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

Hi AGAIN Princess - I did reply to your question last night but my post went somewhere into cyber space, I then posted elsewhere and it was there but tonight it's not Think

So in answering your question about your w/f tiel - first how old is your tiel? All young tiels resemble that of adult females until they go through their first moult from baby into adolecent at approx 5 months of age so all young birds will have the barred markings on the tail and you'll notice dots under the wings.

If your tiel is around the 6 month age you should be able to tell by now by a couple of visual aspects - a female will retain the bar marking on the underside of the tail and the dots under the wings and also the facial markings will be relatively bland whereas a male will loose the markings on the underside of the tail and it will be a 'solid' colour, the dots will mostly disappear completely although in some of the male tiels depending on type (pearls, pieds etc) some will retain a certain amount of dots but very few, the head will be a brilliant white hence the name 'whiteface'.

There are a few good sites that can be helpful - here's some links that cover all aspects and 2 of them are Aussie, check them out, they are good references.

http://www.cockatielsociety.org.au/articles/faq.htm

http://www.cockatiels.org/articles/genetics/mutations.html

http://feistyhome.phpwebhosting.com/sexing_tiel.htm

Princess
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject:

Hey, thanks heaps for the info.I dont think he's quite 4 months old yet,hence he hasn't had his moult as you mentioned.GREAT News,My breeding pair of tiels actually mated today!!!! YAY!!!! I think Im more excited about the feathered arrivals more so than my own two terrors(sorry gorgeous little bundles of joy?)Who are now 4 going on 14 and my 2 year old who doesnt stop going phyco and in constant RAAH mode.Sometimes you wish that they were like birds in the fact that you can put a cover on them and they instantly calm down and go to sleep.
Im a bit worried about egg binding and also the weather here in the great Wait Awile state is really bad at the moment,really windy and buckets of rain. Patients is the mother of vertue so I guess I'll just have to be that.Patient.

once again thanks angel
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Im a bit worried about egg binding and also the weather here in the great Wait Awile state is really bad at the moment,really windy and buckets of rain. Patients is the mother of vertue so I guess I'll just have to be that.Patient.

To the left is a 'Quiok search' box in the top window enter queriy word(s), much of what u are concerned about is covered, If not Post questions in the appropiate sections of the forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: