Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - how many kaks should i put in my new flight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

how many kaks should i put in my new flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanger527

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: how many kaks should i put in my new flight

the flight i just built is 6ft by 3ft by 3ft and we have babys on the way whats a good number this is just temporary till aviary is done in spring
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject:

I have experimented with this in a flight 1.2m x 2.4m W x 2mH
34 where happy, but, there is a lot of work keeping floors, water trays etc to an acceptable cleaness.....its like a tropical fish tank, it comes down to maintaining the pollution levels
As a communty nps.
u Do release it is diffult to stop kakariki breeding, need 2 nesting boxes otherwise problems often arise with rhe hen when she goes to lay and chicks are still in the nesting box.
We have 3 pair who in the last 3 to 4 yrs have produced non stop over 130 healty adults EACH..
Another issue , if one stops a pair breeding it can be very hard to get them to start again.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Another issue , if one stops a pair breeding it can be very hard to get them to start again.

Sorry about off-topic, I have a question... kakariki in the wild... are they seasonal or they also breed year-round?

And yes... it's been difficult for me to get 3 kakariki pairs to breed, in the last year they have not kicked in, very strange. One of the pairs even sleep inside the nestbox, but the hen won't lay eggs. They all have the same diet etc... one pair is breeding superbly, the other 3 pairs... on holidays.

6x3x3...is that a suspended aviary?
or it's 3x3 square and 6ft. high?
I would say you can keep 15-20 kaks in there without trouble.

In a wholesaler in Lisbon I saw a good number, probably around 50 in a cage of similar measures, but I think that's stressful for the birds. I would only do that in case of emergency or something like that.
Up to 20 I think it's ok, they have enough room.

My aviaries are 2mx1mx1,80m -6x3x5ft- and I house 10-20 kakariki and cockatiels without any problems (no nests of course).
But indeed as Steps says, the more birds, the more maintenance.

cheers/ Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
hanger527

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:

the flight is 3ftwide 3ft tall and 6ft long i built 2 of them and they are boxes with aluminum floor for easy cleaning i have a 6ft x6ft by 6ft in my living room i built for my first 2 kaks i got last year just wanted to know i have 2 other pairs on eggs now and its great reading the other posts i actually put my cockatiel in with a bachelor kak and was thinking of putting in more glad to see the should get along
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sorry about off-topic, I have a question... kakariki in the wild... are they seasonal or they also breed year-round?

Think of NZ going from a Sth spain climate to a Nth scotland climate and kakariki used to be common thru out.
Unfortunately it is mainly the middle and sthern that they are in now and mainly in remote areas, other than a few conservation sites...but not in the very warm area....of caose in the mid to colder areas no as studies do show, but do repeat breed....as to the nth (warm) areas I dont know of any studies...so the question is open....
Relating this to capitive breeding...nest boxes are remove, ands or separated to stop breeding...this would not be the case in the wild...rather drop in temps , shorter days, avalibilty of food types and other influences would combined influnce, and most proberly stay in contact and in the breeding area till conditions become suitable to breed again.

Quote:
3ftwide 3ft tall and 6ft

Hmm sry for some reason read that as 3mx 3m x 6m before...
but 3' x 3' x 6' I would not even consider keeping 1 single kakariki let alone a pair without exstensive out of the cage flight
Sry but I would not even call that a "flight"...that is a cage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:

they do get most of the day out to fly just in at night for my ones that arenot breeding we call it a flight only because there is room for them to fly and turn without landing
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject:

Steps,

thx for the info about seasons, it makes sense (food availability, daylight hrs, etc...)

about the cages... 3ftx3ftx6ft is 1x1x2meters... I think those are acceptable measures to keep the youngsters for a month or two until they are sold
in my very humble opinion it doesn't make much difference 2m to 2,4m, a kak jumps twice and they are at the other end of the aviary
a very large flight is another story, but that is built "naturally" if you stay in the hobby, eventually you want a "mini bird-park" at home if you have the space.

hanger527

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject:

i am building a shop and was considering sharing it with them but the temp can get to -25 in the winter and i dont want to loose them to the cold
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject:

Hi!

if it's sheltered and you can hang a heat bulb somewhere in the aviary I think they should be ok (but release them there in early spring so they adapt).
There's another "Canuck" (I don't know if that's offensive for Canadian, or friendly) in the forum, he/she keeps chickens outdoors in typical Canadian winter weather.

Cheers / Pablo

hanger527

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject:

ive herd that. and it will be sheltered but there my favorites and it scares me to put them out but if i do then my bourks can go out also ? i know they are a hearty birds but canaidian winters can be harsh and no offence for the cannuk reference i am proud to be one
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:

Hi!

about bourks I don't know, here in Europe have a reputation of being somehow susceptible to hard weather, but on the other hand I saw pics of German breeders that have an indoor shelter and outdoor aviary, and the bourkes were out with snow. But I don't know if they can stand really cold temps of -25C
Supposedly they will stay in the sheltered area if it's really cold outside, but birds can behave strangely sometimes.

so canuk is a friendly way of calling Canadians?

Cheers / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
flight only because there is room for them to fly and turn without landing

A flight is one section of an avary.....and avairy split into flights where they can still fly.

Quote:
humble opinion it doesn't make much difference 2m to 2,4m, a kak jumps twice and they are at the other end of the aviary

A flight 2m or 2.4 m and has height they can still have room to flight up and around perches returning to the side they started on...or continue flighing
youg birds not being able to fligh in restrcted areas at a time when they are devaopling chest, wing muscles......liken it to a young teenage or pre teenage boy sitting behind a X box all day playing games and the long term effects on his health heart, muscle devalopement etc...same thing.
What are the expectations of him being able to run a 1/2 marthon at 22 yrs when he is in his prime?....or even run between to power poles without a stuggle?

-25 that is getting cold ....I meantins this in a post the other day somewhere.....heating in otdoor flights is usually a large cupbouard affair with a lamp the bird flys aroud a cnr, then around again, this keeps winds well away, into a large cupboard area.

Burkes , turqs are cousins to ..sry mental block...another grass parrot looks similar to the turq....highly endangered and in capitivity even where we live..occassional frost, requires a heated cupboard...I think to some degree all the grass parrots are susptable to cold to extreme low temps....they come for very hot extreme austailan deserts, ans one really needs to see these places to appreciate them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: