Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - No Romance in the Air
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

No Romance in the Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: No Romance in the Air

Hi all <v>
Getting a bit frustrated wall with my kikes.The male just doesnt seem to like the female? Every time the female goes to do something eat,drink,etc the male comes over and makes her fly away.Is this normal behavour for a pair that is bonding or does he have no romantic DNA? duno
By the way her toe is healing ok,she's only got a small limp now and seems happy to land on the wire mesh or perch with little difficulty.

Any behaviour ideas would be a great help,oh ive had the pair for about
2 1/2 weeks.They are in a big aviary with 6 cockatiels 2 canarys and a finch.(which they LOVE chasing)
thanks heaps Think Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:

How old are the birds? the female may not be ready yet.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Kakariki when paired up will eat and sit together. It sounds like either your pair are not compatible yet or as Steptoe indicated simply too young. If they have only been together for just over 2 weeks there is nothing to stress over just yet.
Arranged marriages in the bird kingdom are no different to those in the human world. Just because you think the pair make a great couple doesn't guarantee the two will find instant romance. Give them time and keep an eye on them. If you notice them feeding and sitting together then courting has begun. If, in 6 weeks time you find them still unhappy it is time to find them new partners. Kakariki can be fussy when it comes to partners and patience is the key to success. It has taken us many years to master the art of arranged marriages with our Kakariki. Keep us updated on their progress.
Princess
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:

just an update on Tik-Tik and Molly(my 4 yr old named them,dont laugh!!)
I noticed the other day that the male was feeding the female but they will not sit together?Hopefully courting has begun as I really would like to have some baby kaks of my very own feeling a bit envious of other members of the site.My tiels are sitting on 5 eggs at the moment and the other pair of tiels are on 1 egg so far. heres hoping Pray
I just about had a heart attack the other day,I thought my kaks were covered in blood from head to toe,on closer inspection they had gone for a swim and were still a bit wet.Crises everted.
So steps what did ya think of the joke??Fair bump-play on I recon
Although very funny,still havn't worked out how to post will keep trying so the rest of you can have a laugh. <v> <v> <v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:

If the male is feeding her, u are on your way.
Nesting box ready?
Careful if the teils are in the same flight, once the nesting box is in the kakariki could get very terrortoral...u will have no choice but to move 1 of either pair to another flight.
Kakariki are OK when they pair off in a colony, its when they have a nesting box truoble starts.
As I think Cattscapes mentioned, kakariki will intimidate other birds a lot bigger, our male red had nps intimidating a pair of very mature Kings.
The male King is called Nepolian..for very good reason, hes no 'chicken'
Up to the piont of us putting the kike nesting box in , it was the King the was very much dominate, changed over night.

Quote:
just an update on Tik-Tik and Molly(my 4 yr old named them,dont laugh!!)
lmao lmao lmao
Sry, couldnt help it.

Quote:
So steps what did ya think of the joke??Fair bump-play on I recon
Although very funny,still havn't worked out how to post will keep trying so the

Not funny, but that depends if one is a Kiwi signlol
Can someone check if they can make a new thread in the Non Kakariki section please? just call it test or something...also try to reply to a current thread?
Princess, u hitting New topic, typing a subject title at the top, typing joke in and then submit...a new topic needs a subject title, a reply doesnt.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Patience, observation and common sense.

Give your pair time to settle, most other parrot species take months or years to bond, kakariki are quick but two weeks is too quick.

6 - 12 weeks should be enough to see whether they will get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: