Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Visiting NZ for the first time and Kakariki sighting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Visiting NZ for the first time and Kakariki sighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Wild Kakariki Sightings?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deepsea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Visiting NZ for the first time and Kakariki sighting

Dear All Kakariki lovers,

I would like to visit NZ for the first time. I would like to know when is it the best period, the best place to see wild Kakariki, but also when is it the best season to visit the most beautifull places in NZ, where to stay etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:

We time , weather wise if not interested in the snow sports, Summer...Mid Nove thru to 3rd week march...thu the soithern parts of the country are srill a bit unsettled...
So Mid Dec thru to Feb.
Best way to see NZ.....well that depends on your budget, and depend if want tro see the real NZ or just visit the tourist sights.
My choice a bit of both....
Hire car or camper, tent bit of camping gear...Fly into Auckland....
Head nth 4 to 6 days.....do the 'circle up there...look at a road map.
Then head sth bit of a zig zag down.....
Maybe check out one of our members in the Nth of the sth Island with wild kakariki , and he can show u one of the most beutaful parts of NZ...the sounds ..head down the west coast of the Sth Island, onto Stwerart Island (kakariki) bacj up the east cape...check out recovery programs
Fly out From ChCh.
Sth Island 6 to 10 days

Both times it is very easy to put in a few more days
Stay in , camping grounds, motels, tent.

This time of yr is hot, humid, and dry, but when it rains, it usually does so at night, heavy ..and at worst couple days.

If u want more personal info, email me ...link bottom of the post
Cheers
Steps
PS if want to see capitive kakariki, drop in here ...
And there is far more to see than just kakariki.....make the trip around all of NZ native birds reptiles, meet real New Zealaners, and enjoy this stunning country...which the the above is all around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject:

Great! Thanks a lot for your response Steptoe. I'll read some books about N-Z, also get some info on the internet. Then I'll maybe come back to you for more info. I probably will have some questions. Such journey need some preparation. Specially if I want to see wild Kakariki and why not captive Kakariki.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject:

oh wow steps you make it sound so easy.... Deepsea.......... i wanna come too.....!!!!!

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
oh wow steps you make it sound so easy....

It is that easy....
Couple yrs back, My wife and I had a free week come up together...packed a small childs school bag...for both of us, jumped on a plane to Adledade in Aussie..nothing booked or anything.
Walked out of the airport, hired a car that had a map.
We contacted a kakariki breeder in Adelade from these forums, they pionte us in the right diect as to where to go, and another person in the Aussie Jowett car club.
Had a great week..
Our honeymoon decades ago was the same.
On ofd the guys from our gaming squad came over tosee NZ, I picked him up at the airport, hire a car for him...he crashed the night, loaded his car up with food snacks, map....sent him up nth.
He came back a few days latter, crashed the night, loaded up th car again and sent him sth......he saw ther tourest stuff, got off the beaten track, got stuck in floods and had a ball.

Try just pull out of the driveway and toss a coin left or right , nth or sth and just drive, stop stay where u want ..even for just a weekend....

I did it in my late teens and early 20s....why should being in my late 50s be any different?
It is just that easy.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject:

Deepsea,

your birding trip sounds great
by the way, do you also keep birds at home?

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Deepsea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Pabloc, sorry for the late answer. It's a very hard period at work. I had a couple. It was the first time in my life. Pistache (male) and Poupie. Pistache died last year. I was so sad. I didn't know that I'll love them so much. You know, now there is a very close link between me and NZ. Which is the love of Kakariki. (and also you may know that I'm full of admiration for the All Blacks!!). About a trip to NZ. I found a travel agency which can organize a travel for discovering NZ and also scuba diving (Yes I'm a scuba diver). But for the moment I have to wait. Too busy. So I'm reading some books about NZ. It's a good beginning, isn't it? Wink
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Deepsea,
for an appetizer, I suggest you visit this picture collection
https://plus.google.com/photos/107256092050953849546/albums/5151455184446190881?banner=pwa
Those pics are made and shared by a gentleman, Gary Clark. He makes birding trips and takes pics, then shares it online, for free. I have spent a lot of hours watching his pics. Sometimes when I'm bored I take a look again at one of his collections. A good way to travel without spending money signlol

good luck with your trip planning, keep us informed :)

Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject:

We visited north-Island last year, the south island two years ago.

for the redcrowned parakeets you should vistit Tiritiri-Matangi Island, Capity-Island, Zealandia (Wellington). On the South-Island go by boat-taxi to ulva-island, u can reach ths litte consevation-area from Stewart-Island.

The yellowfronted parakeet you can see on Ulva too. On the northisland visit the Maungatautara-island-trust. We saw some dozend at the campground of the Ngaherenga Forestpark. Kakas too.
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject:

Oh, and dont forget to visit the Otoharanga Kiwihouse and nativebird park, rent a kiwiwalk in the evening too!

The Kakariki are living there in a realy great aviary with native vegetation. You can watch them as living in the wild
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject:

here is a video my wife filmed in the aviary in Otoharanga.
enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgVElIHi6bo&feature=plcp&context=C34deeceUDOEgsToPDskKqK--vjRkH5oMo0hyFMMBF[/url]
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Awesome videos, thanks for sharing!
I subscribed to you from my channel!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Wild Kakariki Sightings? All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: