Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Biting male
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Biting male

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi37uk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Biting male

Can any of you help me I have three kaks a boy and two girls and my boy used to be very loving but has turned into a monster. The last couple of weeks he bites me all the time. I have tried telling him off and growling at him and putting him back in his cage but no use. He has just started (this week) mating with one of the girls could this be the reason for his behaviour and if so does this mean he will stay like this or will he turn back into my nice loving boy Sad
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your male.

kakariki that are on the hormone roller coaster can become agressive towards anyone he sees as a threat to his true love. Don't be to dissapointed, he just wants to be the best partner/ father a kakariki girl could dream of. And he clearly does not like sharing the girl of his dreams with anyone else, including you.

My guess is he will only be like that for a while. Maybe the female will show signs of agression as well in defending her eggs or her chicks later on.
That is if you want them to breed of course.

If so, plenty of good info on here about nest boxes, what to feed them and how to take care of both parents and chicks.

Is he agressive towards the 2nd female as well? Are they all together in the same cage/aviary?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
kakariki that are on the hormone roller coaster can become agressive towards anyone he sees as a threat to his true love. Don't be to dissapointed, he just wants to be the best partner/ father a kakariki girl could dream of. And he clearly does not like sharing the girl of his dreams with anyone else, including you.

Excellent description
What we have seen with our semi tame males over the years, is at 1st , what u describe happens, then the female goes to nest ...safe away for a couple weeks and the male then gets all buddy buddy again.....
just leave here and the nest alone.
Chicks hatch, watch his body language....when around the nesting box, and tend to back off , give him a treat at the same time.
Then as the chicks get bigger, the hen starts leaving the nest he trusts u and becomes friendly as before...When they start to show adult feathers he/they will just watch you, an if do it right they will fred the chicks in the palm of your hand.
The next batch they see u as no threat and all is cool

We hae seen this happen so many times...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:

Many thanks for your help. He seems to be ok with the other girl they are all three in an indoor cage and come out every day. I was told that the girls will not lay eggs if there is no nest box put in is this true or was that just a ploy from the pet shop :-)
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject:

It was either a ploy or a lack of knowledge.
Kakariki are like chickens when it comes to laying eggs.
If they want or need to, they will. Mate or no mate and nestbox or no nestbox.

Keep a close eye on the other lady and make sure you have an extra cage for her ready, just in case. Kakariki with eggs can become VERY teritorial.

Good luck!! :)
kiwi37uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:

If I just have the two girls will they live together happily. I don't want to breed them and I don't have the room for another cage. I was told they would all be fine and unfortunately was stupid enough to believe it. I would hate for anything to happen to my birds but can't have them breed as we just don't have the room or the time to manage babies too. If the girls would be ok together then I would have to consider letting my boy go to a good home I just wish people that sold animals wouldn't lie to make a sale it is so unfair on the animals and the people
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:

If you do not want them to breed you can always replace the eggs for plastic ones (petshop) or cook them, cool them down and place them back.

There is no way of telling up front the girls will get along without the male.
Each kakariki has his own personality and like or dislike eachother.
At least you now know for sure that the male and female that formed a couple get along.
Having only girls does not mean they would not lay eggs.
Female kakariki can lay eggs ( and often do) without males around.
The 2nd female could even try to replace the male by behaving just like him.
2 of my 4 males formed a couple. One feeds and bullies the other all day long Wink
Maybe you should just wait a little while longer to see what happens?
I've heard of male kak's taking care of 2 women at the same time.
If he does, your only trouble would be to prevent the eggs from hatching.

Meanwhile make sure they have a perfect diet. Laying eggs weighs heavy on their health.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: