Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - captive bred kakariki surviving in the wild.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

captive bred kakariki surviving in the wild.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:

We have never had kakariki break or eat eggs...
Have had others who have had mice do so...even a mouse nest co habiting in a nest box.
We have had broken eggs when did nothave climbing wire on the inside of a nesting box, AND accidently distrbed the box, panacing the hen.
I was stooped, stood up and wacked my head real hard on the bottom of the box.
Quote:
if it were calcium wouldnt they have eaten the shell??? any ideas anyone?

No I do not think so...I do not go along with the thought Ca defiency creates attacking eggs.....mainly because egg shell is not a form of Ca that is readly usable for birds as a source.
Egg shell that has aged , dryed out should be...but if heated and cooked it is not.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject:

these two are normally good ... doting male and attentive female i got the wire on the inside...god knows maybe an accident i hope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: kakariki in our good old N.Z

Noel & Diane from south waikato, we agree with you whole heartedly Steptoe the problem of releasing our captive birds into the wild and increasing their numbers would be so damn easy if a so called department was to pull their heads out the sand & work with us in a release program. wall
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I have 2 very serious concerns re releasing privately breed native birds reptiles etc
1/ Pure breed....I know in the nth of the sth island yellow kakariki hybrids in the wild, and the population on tiri was orginally from hybrid stock, but released by DoC ignoring the advice of private breeders at the time.
2/ Deases...Beak and Feather has been a huge concern for many years but recent studies have shown it has been in the wild for many decades now..this does have very serious issues..but the above knowledge now not of such a great concern,,,even so any birds infected should never be released...or infected with any other dease

On that basis im of the firm belief only selected stock of selected breeders should be used to release..
I was at the Fed. of bird clubs annual confernce in Botany a few months back. looking around the room the experiance and knowledge is huge, and the willingnees to breed NZ native birds and repltiles, at cost and even dontate.
A simple scheme with say volunteer 'administrators' along the lines of the Fisheries....and a group of selected breeders, with approved breeding stock....
Bottom line there is no reason so many of our native animals are at risk or even endangered...in spite of ferrets stoats and other vermin.

How many Orange crown have been breed and released in the last 6 to 8 yrs? at what cost to the tax payer...millions
How many kakariki have I breed in that time....a good 1000 plus...pure breed, and DNA tested by DoC a while for deases and not 1 faulse +ve
What has happened to them?
Sharp sissors and the heads chopped off....
Why?
Because that is the law in NZ, a law that needs to be changed...A law that is costing taxpayer millions of dollar every yr....a law that further endangers and puts at risk so many of our species.
A law that defies logic
A law that in the end perpertuates DoC jobs, administration, the empire, and budgets and justifies its existance.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Australian Kak Survived 1 month in the bush

tailofdog wrote:
My kak escaped for one month and survived in the bush for 1 month.
He came by the house a couple of times looking fat and sassy.
After one month he flew into my shed and landed on a kak aviary.
He is back home minus his tail feathers. This might be what brought him to come back,
The other thing is that in 1 month he has matured greatly and is a very vibrant bird. Applause

I think its important not to over look natural instinct of these birds.... its not all learned from parents! Some things are inhereted other ways... im not a scientist... but it must be within their DNA or whatever.... I also had 2 young males escape a couple of years ago. These males were all very bright yellow no green at all and with the red target on their heads... i thought a dead cert destined as buzzard food..... we have loads of buzzards where i live also kestrals and sparow hawks and even red kites!!! One of the brothers (Dave) returned later that day .... but although Gigantor.... was heard for several days disapeared and i assumed hed been lunch for someone..... however i had reports several months later that a bright yellow "black bird" had been spotted in a village several miles away..... so maybe Gigantor survived longer than i thought. These birds were bread and raised in parrot cages and in my house.... not even an avery...and handled frequently

Also..... recently i have hand raised a single chick on its own.... away from my other birds ... hand fed it and its amazing how they know what to do...with food... preening... bathing... this bird has had no teaching from another bird no observing.... no baking lessons from mum so to speak but yet it still will preen with herbs and clean its feathers with rosemary.... how did it know?..... i certainly didnt show it.....!!

ps..... ^^^^ fab read.....!!!

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject:

How they preen with herbs is completely amazing for me.
I thought it was some casual thing that someone's kakariki did randomly once and didn't believe it too much... then I see my birds do it naturally... I was amazed the first couple of times I saw it, and I'm still amused when I see them do it, like... how the hell they know that...

I think kakariki have a good chance of surviving in the wild, I had 3 or 4 escape over the years... 2 of them I had a chance to capture them back.
When they escape they keep their cool and stay next to the aviaries, and then of course they are very curious and omnivorous... but then... the drawback is that they are very confident so they don't really flee from cats and so.
The times a cockatiel escaped me or my girlfriend... it's hopeless. When they see they are out of the aviary the get really sacared and fly even faster and soon get lost/disoriented.

By the way... have you been guys voting bird of the year?
Please remember to do so.

About govt. corruption, public servants, etc... we have a good share of that here in Europe. It's amazingly frustrating but that's the way it is and it's not very likely to change. Nobody wants to risk their comfy positions/salaries/pensions/benefits doing the right thing, they just do the politically correct thing.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
About govt. corruption, public servants, etc...

Just to clairfy, in NZ coruption as occurs in most other countries around the world doesnt exist....attempts yes.
What im talking about in an inherant mindset in an autonimus government dept thats evolved into an autocratic empire building, and bulling, while at the same time, exseive control without consolation at the expense of our endangered species.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject:

yes will be passing through on monday 14th november 11as i have to be at green lane clinic at 3pm. Now as you say it is not up to any of us breeding pure breed reds or yellows it is up to doc they know exactly what the situation is & how to start fixing it, the cost i think would be very small if all were to get behind it cheers Noel & Diane. P.S. if i had your physical address i could wack it in the navman gps an pay you a quick visit. duno
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:

Steps,

sorry, sometimes I forget I live in a 3rd world country but there still exists a couple of countries where there are still some moral standards and politicians have some sort of shame because if they get caught they undergo measures.
Unfortunately in Spain and Southern Europe shame is long gone.
<v>

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
dimac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject:

pabloc, yes not a nice thing but it all boils down to a bit of greed an your every day person being to busy trying to survive in most cases do put the buggers in their rightful place. wall
manders
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Even the RSPB here doesnt seem to know what they are talking about half the time, for years they thought buzzards only ate dead things, something the gamekeepers of this country have been telling them was nonsense for years. Then one day they were actually filmed catching live things and then the penny dropped.

Ditto with magpies/raptors and declining small bird population...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Native Ecology and Dept of Conservation, NZ All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: