Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Bed time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Bed time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickcampion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Bed time

Hi,
We have just got our first bird, Bright Yellow Kakariki called Nana, we have only had her 2 weeks and have read nearly everything on these forums to get as much info as we can as we are first time bird owners.
We dont know how old she is as got her from a pet shop.
We are having trouble getting her back into her cage at night, and hand taming her. We have moved her cage so she is sat next to the sofa and can get used to us being near her. We will sit for hours with our hands in the cage and she is still scared of us. we cant seem to find a treat she likes , we have tried dried berries, nuts, apple, oranges, cucumber, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, mint leaves, chicken, fresh mealworms, and nothing seems to distract her from the petshop food.
We let her out of her cage as often as possible as we dont feel it is big enough for her. 46 x 35 x 90cm. If there is only one of us in the house during the day she seems to have a nice time flying and will go back in her cage on her own. In the evening when both of us are home she will fly for a little bit and then park her bum on the curtain rail and stay there. We have had to leave her out all night as we were unable to make the cage seem interesting enough even after changing all the toys and putting more treats inside. We have tried ignoring her and leaving the room but nothing seems to make her want to move.
Any help would be appreciated as we are first time owners and would like to make her life as pleasant as possible and being out all night seems a bit dangerous. Sorry for the long post!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Reading between the lines..I think your bird is afraid of hands rather than people...ie most birds do not connect a tree leaf and a tree trunk.

The only time I have seen a bid not eventually come down from the top of a cage and eventaully sit on a hand in a cage was one that was tramitised by uncontrolled children , and the adults wacked the cage to shut it up.

Does the bird tremble when the hand is in the cage....continue to show intense fear, or just .."Im not sure about this yet" ?

Getting the bird back in the cage is a matter of getting the bird to claim the cage terrortially 1st....
It is his safe haven from everything....thats the 1st step
Do not invade that space till he becomes possive about it.
Only then u can start to tame down in that cage.

A lot has happened upto now, cage location etc etc changed around....
Do u have another cage..set both up and let him choose as best as u can.
Even put the doors together so he can wander between....and give it a good 2 weeks to settle in.

It can be more difficult not having age or history...compared to say a wild bird or a avairy breed bird.....these birds have not been screwed around with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick reply. We will stop invading her cage for a bit so she can make it hers.

I think she is just unsure of hands still, she doesn't tremble. We only have the one cage so hopefully she will claim that as hers. Thanks again!
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject:

Hi Nick.... w3c to the forum ... nice to see another member from "the shire"

i agree with steps about giving a bit more time to settle in. although i have a large wild colour male who still wont even take a sunflowere seed from me or get near me after several years...we have an arangement... when i go near the cage he hops to the bottom so i can open the top door to do what i have to.... soon as i finish hes back on his fav penthouse perch. In the past ive had trouble getting certain birds back in the cage... and it can get worse ..... from experience id say be very carefull about your hands.... try keep them down and away from the bird and dont make it into a game of tag....!!! they soon work that out and have hours of fun getting you running about backwards n forwards...!!! id say..... invest in a black short handled net (for birds...they have a padded edge) and when all else fails...... bribing etc let him sit on the curtain pole..... and turn the lights off.....get a small torch so you can see and quietly and gently pop the net over him and against the wall and hold him through the net.... lights back on and release into the cage........... but talk to him calmly while you are doing it so he doesnt panic

good luck

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: