Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Mites or moulting? Cure for mites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Mites or moulting? Cure for mites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Mites or moulting? Cure for mites

Billy recently got bald spot on his neck. I've also noticed he is scratching often. I've read that these are symptoms of mites. But in pet shop told us that now is season for moulting. I can't believe that, because it is not logical to me that bird changes its feathers in the middle of the winter. I've called our vet (who doesn't know much about birds) and asked for Ivermecitin drops. He told us there aren't such drops, but he told us about some injections for mites that are given to sheep (I've read that some sheep cure for mites is also applied for kakariki). It also starts with Iver-, I didn't understood vet. Can I buy those injections, and put drops on Billy neck without stabbing him? And if it really is moulting season, can those drops hurt him?
Elaol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject:

And is it true that if bird has mites and I cover cage with white fabric, black spots will appear?
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject:

hi again... i dont know about the black spot thing.... sorry. But having spent many years working with various animals i really dont think the internal injection will work if not injected.... it will be designed to work a different way.

The ivermectin drops are specifically for adminitering to the skin and you can buy it online heres a link to 1 place

http://www.furnfeathers.co.uk/shop/birds-parrots/vitamins-and-supplements/ivermectin-drops/prod_296.html

You can also get an internal mite & worm treatment and preventative that you add to the water .... cant remember what its called tho will add it when i found out ... hope this helps

ps... just thought tho.... i dont know if there are rules about buying things like that from other countries... but gues the supplier will know

pps.... dont believe everything the shop told you..... where i bought my 1st pair told me the same.... it was mites... they also told me females arnt so bright (colourwise that is not mentally.... i think.... but then maybe they were being personal signlol) which is a load of BS

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ivervectum comes in 2 forms, one for cattle another for sheep...
use the one for sheep in propolene glycol sol'n
Is the dilution correct? we use a 0.08% soln
Was it applied correctly, not to the feathers but directly on the skin, behind the head, 1 or 2 drops.
Has it been stored correctly?
It is light sensitive and should be kept in the fridge.

Quote:
And is it true that if bird has mites and I cover cage with white fabric, black spots will appear?

I doubt thatvery much also.

And follow up with clean of cages etc and birds mist spray of Vinegar /water soln, every few weeks
apple cider vinegar in the veggies every few days.
If mites the vet should have taken samples for examination under a microscope.

Invermectin is basically a a worming chemical that gets absorbed into the blood system and also acts as an insecticide for any insects that happen to feed in that blood.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:

it is very important not to over dose..... especially if the bird isnt very strong ... its possible i lost 2 of mine through over dosing (they were v small birds) but it could have been something congenital... so very important to use the right dilution... There are warnigs all over the page i linked too advising of that too

garlic can also help prevent the return..... i have been using Steps cider vinigar advice since i had the problem and have not had any problems since...

(i also have a bit myself like steps)

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject:

That trick with a piece of white cloth might help to discover the RED mite . I've never tried it but read about it. I quote:
This mite (Dermanyssus gallinae) measures between 0.7 and 1.1 mm in length. It crawls across the body of the bird on its eight legs and feeds on the bird's blood during the night.
During the day, these tiny parasites hide in corners inside the cage or in crevices in perches where they reproduce. Since the red mite is active during the night, it cannot be traced on the bird during the day.
A bird suffering from these mites is extremely restless at night, does not get any sleep and scratches itself often. During the day, the bird sleeps often and appears to be exhausted and depressed.
In order to trace these mites, a white piece of cloth could be draped over the cage which should be checked ( during the night) for any suspicious small red dots walking across the cloth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: