Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Female Kakariki.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Female Kakariki.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Female Kakariki.

Having just got my first male Kakariki two weeks ago and completely fallen in love with him and his antics I am wondering if it is to early for me to get a female to keep him company. Not so much worried about breeding, just want to stop him being lonely at times. Anyone got any suggestions. Mine is about 4 months old. I live in Peterborough UK so if anyone local can help would be great. Thanks.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject:

It's never too soon to keep them company.
I usually keep the siblings of each clutch together until I either sell them or pair them. Steps and other breeders too.

You can either buy a hen or a male (depends on wether you intend to breed or not), they are not choosy to socialize. I have kept adult males together in the past and they get on well.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
to get a female to keep him company. Not so much worried about breeding,

If u thru 2 teenagers in a room together....chances are they will breed without much consideration to keeping, feeding or raising their off spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies. Have only had Georgie a short time and never had birds before so very green on subject so i hope you will escuse me asking quite a few questions in the future.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject:

id say get another male if you dont want to be thrown in at the deep end... if there are no females about they should get on fine after a few initial pecking order squables.... but if you want to breed them ...... then obviously a female.... read up tho before you get a female about the whole breeding thing ... there is a lot more to consider ....loads of info if you serch this site... in the serch box over <<<<<<there

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
billyd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:

Ok May, will do and thanks for that. Didn't know if 2 males not brought up together from young would fight which is why i was after a female bird.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject:

As May said, a few squables , males strutting their stuff for the highest perch, Alpha male and terestonrone etc...espec at dusk.

Good idea to chage the cage, perches etc around so in effect from both of their pionts of veiw it is a new enviroment...and they will sort out who has the 'top bunk'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that steptoe. All advice w3c.
billyd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject:

Well i have just had one heck of a shock. The bird i got, (bearing in mind i did say i was a bit green about keeping birds) who i thought was a male has now laid 2 eggs. Guess i betta change the name from Georgie to Georgina. signlol.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject:

that's when a name like kiwi comes in handy, it's equally good for male or female kakariki
signlol

and don't feel foolish, you are not the only one that has mistaken a male from a female <v>
when I don't have a male next to a female I have a hard time telling sex

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: