Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - showing affection? need help ASAP! please :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

showing affection? need help ASAP! please :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chloe93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: showing affection? need help ASAP! please :)

Okay so sometimes my female kak sits on my arm and chirps in a very small voice constantly while slightly lifting her wings up then she nibbles on my arm (occasionally taking a bit to much, like shes trying to get parasites or something signlol). Is this a way of showing affection or is this not normal and signals shes hurt?

thank you.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject:

I think the bird is socializing, but not sure about what the bird actually means or wants, sorry Sad

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject:

The bird is asking for your affection

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject:

It really is the cutest thing, how do i show affection back as she doesn't like being petted obviously :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject:

It is not unusual for a small bird to connect your hand with your head or voice intially...
Think like this. a bird lands on a small branch of a tree, in a forest, is there any need for it to associate that branch and its leaves with those on the otherside of the tree, or associate with the trunk ot base of the tree?
Birds primarly communicate thru sound and association of sounds with things that happen....doesnt need to be bird talk.
And so do dogs...cats etc.
Talk and associate those sounds with a treat in the fingers, that associates your sound, a nice treat and your unthreatening hand....
And watch body language... slight lift of the crest, tension in the body legs indicating ready for quick exit...stuff like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject:

this isn't 'i want to mate with you' behaviour is it? Should i consider getting her a companion? :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject:

If u had a couple hens in the backyard, they will do the same..would u get a rooster?
A cat dog will do the same, would you then start to breed with a partner?
And if u do get a partner, and they breed, do u have the space for nesting boxes, do u have the avairies /flights to hold the young in?
And getting a mate, then means that u basically become obsolete
Which defeats the piont of having a pet in the 1st place.
Submissive behavour doesnt always mean a sexual relationship.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject:

hmm.... you can always get a companion of the same sex

I think kakariki do well as pets with another partner, and they do not spend alone so much time during the day when nobody is home, just my 2 cents

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject:

Yes..If just pets another companion of the same sex, or even a different species like a burkes, or turq, cockteil (bit more noisy thu) even a budgie...

It is a good idea if as Pab suggests the bird is going to be left in a cage on a regualar basis...but it may not solve that the bird has attached to you as a compainion......But is that really a problem? is that what we expect from our pets...compainions?

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:

I would have never considered a Bourke as pet bird, they seem dull, boring, idle birds... couldn´t be further away from what they really are.

A friend gave me 2 bourke chicks, a couple of days old, to handfeed (their mother would not feed them). One of them died, the other one has been a house pet with my girlfriend for 1+ year... amazing bird, very entertaining, and very social in her own way. During the day she´s often napping, but after sunset she´s very active, spends the whole time running around the table, even would come when not called to "finger wrestle".

Although at times she can be noisy, she makes a shrill call sometimes, very funny. But most of the time it´s just a soft chirp.

I don´t know if this is extensive to all bourkes, or ours is just an exceptional case, but from what I saw my guess is that they are birds with a good temper and very social.

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:

Yes Burkes and turqs are rather quiet birds.. yes dull could be well described, on the other hand, dont need a lot of attention, easy kept companion.
Natually tame and friendly.
Yes they do tend to come alive at dusk, just when other birds are settling down.
Ideal apartment, retirement home type of bird....and compainion bird for a kakariki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I was contemplating a cockatiel as i'll be starting uni in a few weeks as well as having a part time job, which will be occupying a lot of my time. Of course i always let her out when i'm home but i just don't want her getting bored and lonely while i'm out :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: