Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki in mixed Flights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki in mixed Flights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Kakariki in mixed Flights

Once again we are limitted in NZ...We are only aloowed to keep 2 kikes in a flight and no other birds. To me this is unnatural that they cant interact with their suroundings
On the other hand, the last thing we want is a kike to cross breed with another parrot type, like a king and crimson will do. (being native bird etc as discussed in another post.)
So other thab occassions when flights get temp overcrowed we dont mix the kikes. Therefore we do not have any real expericance in NZ of mixed flights.
We have had to mix as above and this is what we have found

1/Kikes and small quail no problems, get on very well at alll times
2/Kikes and Crimsons growl at each other over food or a perch and thats as far as it goes, They even nest in the same flight.
3/Kikes and kings, but when the males starts getting restless early mating season, the kings are restricted to one end of the flight, and best to remove the kings, they are not very happy.
4/Kikes and burkes, the burkes a quiet peaceful sweet little birds and the kike are hyperactive all the time, reaults in the burkes on the move all the time to and they get a little stressed with the activity .

This is in flights of varing sizes but all around 1.5mx 2.6mx 2.4m
I dont think mixing with red rumps, rosellas would be a good idea at a gess.
What experiance do overseas ppl have? cross breeding, getting along and in what fight sizes?

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject:

I have apair of Rosellas next to a pair of Kikes, separated by single welded mesh and shade cloth near nest boxes. The male Rosella is agressive towards baby kikes whenthey climb up the wire, he has not bitten yet but I certainly would not put a Rosella with any bird.

I have a pair of Golden Pheasants and the kikes sit on the pheasants some time. No problems here.

Red rumps, I have had a pair of red rumps with a pair of kikes together, no breeding, no fighting but lots of posturing, not a good idea.

Cockatiel pair with kikes, no problems, each pair has reared chicks at the same time, just need to put in two feeding stations as they are defensive over food when they have chicks and I think that I would loose babies if there was only one feeding area.

I made a big mistake afew years ago, I had a pair of Elegants on eggs and I put 4 young kikes in with them in a large aviary. Somehow the kikes pecked the females Elegants eye and she died when the vet put the first stitch in.

I have had a single Jenday conure (hand reared) share with a pair of kikes. Conure must have a box then it was OK but I won't do it again, it was only for a few months.

I want to try Diamond Doves, Java Sparows, cockatiels and kikes along with the pheasants in a 5m by 3m but Istill have to build it.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Deb, my wife just reminded me of when we put couple Kikes in with the Zebra/Bengese finches....The poor finches didnt srand a chance, the Kikes ripped their nests apart faster than the could build them. Also everytime the kikes went for a fly , finches scattered in all directions, was not a relaxing fight to be around...

We have a basic measure that when one sits down with a relaxing coffee in or outside with and just watches the activity, and its not relaxing to us, then there is stress in the flight.
Our avairies are to enjoy, relax, and be pleasant.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: mixed flight

i have heard of kakariki and rosellas crossbreeding producing the infertile kakarella!

Last edited by C0nor on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:

The most important thing to bear in mind with having a mixed aviary is whether you have pairs or single birds. Males that are breeding are very agressive. I recently bought a pair of Golden Mantle Rosellas from a neighbour. They lived happily in a large mixed aviary with red rumps, cockatiels, lovebirds and ringnecks. Now that breeding season has started and the Rosellas and Ringnecks have reached breeding age and condition, it is a war zone and she has lost quite a few birds. I put the Rosellas alone in an aviary three weeks ago and they have already laid three eggs. I guarantee that if any bird is introduced into that aviary, there will be a serious fight.

Turquosines are also quite agresive when they breed, your single male will turn into a fighter if you give him a mate.

Red rumps work well with doves and finches but not with similiar birds.

If you want to try a mixed aviary, I would suggest quail for the ground and a pair of cockatiels, a pair of kikes and two or three pairs of lovebirds for colour and interest. Put them all in as juveniles at the same time and watch closely. It should work.

Mixed aviaries work better if you start with all the birds at the same time and when they are young.

I like a mixed aviary but I find the best is to let your breeding birds get on with it in private and then when your babies are independent put them all together in a large walk in aviary allowing you to interact with them. You then have time to play with them before you either sell them or place them into a breeding cage.

Kak in South Africa is Afrikaans for Bull Shit. So Kakarella is a great word that I am looking forward to trying out sometime.

I would go as far to say that a kike breeding with a Rosella is a kakarella story. LOL
C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: kakarella

no no really!
http://wakefieldkakarella.tripod.com/birdsfeatheredvarietywakefieldkakarelladiarypluskakarikis/
make of it what you will!!! Wink
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Well seeing is believing. LOL. Interesting but sad, I hate hybrids, I think there is no place for them. My pet hate is seeing Catalina Macaws (Blue and Gold crossed with Scarlet), to me they are ugly just like the Kakarella has nothing much going for it in terms of looks. Breeders that purposefully breed hybrids (accidents do happen in mixed aviaries) looking for new colours are selfish and certainly undermine the purity of the species. I wonder what they are like i.e active like a kike or more like a rosella?

Great word though, reminds me of the imported hand rearing food from Europe. Handrearing is described as "handopfok" on the label. Hand is hand in Afrikaans and "opfok" is means to f**k up, a term used in the army for punishment.
C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:

i agree! i like my red crowns just the way they are :oops:
bisu777

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Kakarella?

Looks like a fake o retouched photograph to me. If intention is well meant, a clear picture can be offered instead . The hybrid bird is there (maybe not) at the presenter´s disposal and all he or she can offer is that blurred picture. Kakariki fostering chicks of other species is not a novelty to many.
bisu777

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:

Hey everyone ! Sorry about my manners. I am registering in as a new member . Peter from Belgium presented to me this site (Thanks , Peter). Steptoe....howdy? I saw a couple of pictures where a group of kaks are housed together. Are the birds yours? Are they young birds? I posted en Yahoo groups regarding such a situation and all I can tell you that my birds are still young and a pecking order is in formation. I have tried 1 male with 2 females and the male mounted both of them but had its preference for one only and sometimes even chasing the other away. To conclude, I must stress that to to breed seriously, the pair should be given privacy. Has anyone bred kaks in cages of 120cm long, 50cm high and 40 cm wide? I have several such cages unused but of the above-mentioned ones can be used, the aim of my task towards breeding kaks would be shorten
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Hey everyone ! Sorry about my manners.

Nps m8 I didn't notice anything...
Your thoughts re doctored pics also crossed my mind...So I tried to contact the guy...the web site is several yrs old and emails not current.
I have a copy of the pics and web site in case it disappears some time in the future.
I have gone over the photos as best I can (I'm not into graphics) and there doesn't seem to be any 'doctoring of the pics...I will send off to a friend in Aussie later and see what he thinks.
As far as "is it possible to cross kikes and Rosella" the bit of ammeter reading and stuff, I believe so, but, it would have to be under heavily forced captive conditions. ie starting with 2 very young birds in the same flight by themselves. I have looked into this in some detail and believe this maybe the only recorded instance of such a cross.
Quote:
Steptoe....howdy? I saw a couple of pictures where a group of kikes are housed together. Are the birds yours? Are they young birds?

Can you post a new thread on this...that way we can keep subjects more easily accessable...there is a thread I added to talking about flock in a flight...that should have been a new thread for the same reason..Im guilty to m8 signlol
Same with the other points...Privacy/breeding cages thats also a subjects that hasn't been covered. Both worth there own threads.
So go for . start a few new threads off.
Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks! Regarding threads , you mean creating a new topic ? Sorry , its just that words and their usage can vary in different countries. I do not deny the possiblity of a cross between a rosella and a kak but a photo like that can arouse all kinds of suspicions.
Toine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Hello!!

I have a mixed aviary. It's 8 m2. I have:
2 pair Cockatiel (wildcolour & pied)
2 pair Grassparakeet (Budgie) (blue, pied, rainbow, green)
1 pair Lineolated (Barred) Parakeet (darkgreen, cobaltblue)
1 pair of Kakariki's (yellow)
1 pair Swift parakeet (wildcolour)

It's breeding season now, 1 pair of Budgie's is breeding now, and it all works perfect! Let's hope it will go on like this..
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:

Evening!
Are there any updates on how these mixed aviaries are going?
I'm not actually going to mix breeds when i make my outdoor aviary, but am very interested as to how the different breeds interact with each other....
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Hi buddy,

in my case, cohabitation in holding flights (no-breeding, no nests) works out fine. Sometimes there are some misunderstandings and cultural barriers, like when cockatiels demand preening to a random kakariki, or when a male kakariki gets insistent on offering food to a singing male cockatiel.
But... in general I don't feel there's any tension or stress in the mixed aviaries.

In the case of breeding... results are rather random. Kakariki with their curiosity and constant activity may disrupt cockatiels if breeding in the same aviary. But have never seen them fight or get wounded.

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: