Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Warm Bed and Eating everything in sight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Warm Bed and Eating everything in sight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Warm Bed and Eating everything in sight

Hi all

I have psoted this before but did not get any responses so i have decided to post it as a seperate thred

"can any of you suggest something i could make for them to go in when they are cold or a better contraption for sale"

secondly. My kakariki's espcially the one that i think is male, is contstantly trying everything we have had to put bits of cardboard up on the curtain rails to stop them from flying up there. but he has ripped it to shreds.

why does he do this?

can any of u suggest something to stop my birds from flying up on the curtain poles. The main reason i want to do this is to stop them eating the crap paint and old wallpaper that seems to be up there.

kind regards

salina
C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject:

As far as i know there is not alot that can be done, shooing them away will only heighten their curiosity unfortunatly, our budgies used to chew the wallpaper but they never ate it so you shouldnt have to worry about that, just distract them with treets.
As for a warm place, a natural wood box is great, the thicker the better.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have posted this before but did not get any responses so i have decided to post it as a separate thread

It is better to post each item as a separate subject.
Often one part is over looked and separate threads enables those looking for something to find the heading easier.
We do get many visitors who regularly visit just for info and don't register.
The site is about Kakariki information rather than what I see as an 'ego' thing on many other sites..too get a big membership.

Conor is right
Quote:
As far as i know there is not alot that can be done, shooing them away will only heighten their curiosity unfortunately

Kaka-riki
Quote:
Gradual drops and rises in temperature are fine. From your post I assume the birds are indoor. If that is the case they should be fine without heating. Just keep them away from cold draughts.

Even sudden cold snaps, kakariki are a very tough bird.
In the last few days we had a sudden cold snap come up from Antartica...hail, high winds, the works
I checked the birds in the early hrs...they where just the same as on a warm night.
If they are inside, don't worry, If it gets to cold ...you will be sitting there shivering and they will still be fine. If we where to live in some of the weather conditions kakariki do in the wild...we will die 1st.

When letting pets free in your home u have to realise that u are letting them FREE range...just like small children one must take precautions, don't leave matches laying around, make sure your expensive ornaments are not in reach.
Birds/pets are not machines, they are living individuals with curiosity, playfulness, just like us. Unlike a cat or dog or small children that tend to remain on a 2 dimensional plain, birds work on 3 dimensions.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Ok in the room we keep the birds we also have my hubbys sports memrobilia hanging on the walls....tobys fav thing is to hang out on them (I find this hilarious) and watching daniel try to shoo him was even funny and yes like conner said it just made him want to go there all the more.............with one of them thoe we were conserned because it wobbled and it is above our new LCD computer moniter......so after a few different trys of things we blew up a balloon and tied it to the pic.....this worked a treat but you do have a balloon up in your house for no reason but at least the mark taylor frame is safe LOL (like I care)
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Get hold of a nest box from a pet shop, if it won't fit in the cage hang it outside and make a whole in the cage.

Kakariki do sleep in nest boxes and they wil have fun exploring it.

Just remeber they lay eggs here they sleep!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: