Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - male interference?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

male interference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
growingfeathers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: male interference?

Hi folks
It seems you never have enough knowledge where birds are concerned! My latest query/problem is that my young female has laid 4 eggs and was sitting on them but the male has chased her out of the box. Why?
They are in a large aviary with another pair of Kakarikis and a pair of Kings but there is no infighting and the female generally dominates every other bird except her chosen mate. Any advice?
growingfeathers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Footnote - I should have mentioned that there are several other nest boxes available
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:

Has the male teamed up with another female?
He may have marked that nesting box as his.
Remove the male
I would then lock the female in, then relocate the nesting box at a different height.
Then move an mt nesting box close to but not in the same position...preferably a box of a different shape.
Return the male after a couple days.
I am only guessing at a son here, have never had such a problem.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject:

We have experienced a similar situation with one of our pair of Kakariki. Some cock birds like to spend a lot of time in the nest box whilst the hen is sitting. In most cases this doesn't create a problem, but if the hen is nervous or jumpy she will sometimes fly out of the box in a panic when the cock bird enters.
My suggestion would be to remove the cock bird and leave him out. Compatability in pairs relies on both birds working together to raise the young from start to finish. Our experience has shown that a cock bird that is aggressive toward his mate will ultimately show similar aggression toward the young either in the box or once they have fledged.
There are ways to combat this problem. We leave our pair together until the hen starts to lay her eggs. At this time the cock is removed to a seperate aviary and that is where he stays. The hen does the incubation and raising of chicks solo. Once the chicks are independant we give her a rest for around 6 weeks and then put the cock bird back in.
Using this method we have had 3 successful clutches and as long as there is plenty of fresh food the hen has no trouble carrying out all her duties.
In our case it is one of our very rare mutations and so we had to make the decision to keep the pair together. If you prefer not to have to do all this extra work I would suggest the cock bird is going to be aggressive with any hen he is put with.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The hen does the incubation and raising of chicks solo

We have never had the problem nor know of anyone who has...(maybe its a mutation thing??)
It is a nice snippet of info that the females will raise ok Solo.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

The closest experience I have is a Normal male that has been a succesfull parent first with a normal female (she escaped) and then with a cinnamon female (she died). He is now paired with another young cinnamon female and she laid 7 eggs. Two hatched about two weeks ago.

She is sitting very tight (never seems to leave the box) and the male is feeding her fine but when I open the box to check on the chicks, she leaves the box. I have noticed that the male then aggresively persues her around the aviary (1.8m by.9m by .9m) and won't even let her go into the nest box. I have solved the problem by giving fresh food to them (he stops chasing her and eats instead), and not checking the box daily anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: