Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - healthy treats
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

healthy treats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: healthy treats

hi ev1!

In addition to fresh veg and fruit and their daily seedmix, I make foraging toys which I hide sunflower seeds(mainly because they are non perishable and good size for sliping inbetween notted leather and pine shapes)..

Being their favourite game, I am wondering if there is anything less fattening as a treat ?
Has anyone any ideas i could try?
:?:
Butterfly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:

I love your ideas of foraging toys and will try them. I've only left treats hidden amongst the food, for my kaka to forage and find, but your games sound like a great idea. Thanks.

Sorry, I have no ideas to offer you as to healthy treats, as I too am stuck on this and am glad you asked the question. I will be interested to find some healthy alternatives to the not so healthy.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Healthy treats...bits of their favourite foods and fruit
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject:

I was wondering if pumkin seeds were any aless fatty seed to sunflower?
The thing is ,a seed of some kind is more preferable as no mess,and non perishable...(meaning i can leave them a day or two.) maybe someome knows of one that they could benefit from in the meantime that possibly they might not be getting in their usual mix..

any ideas either way would be gratefully received, THANKS! xx
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject:

Treats are just that, special bits of food that are feed because they have a special liking or 'addition' to,
They do not last long because of it, in the same way as we have a bisket with a coffee, or a packeyt of chips watching TV....
Except jubk food is not good for birds or people...intread of chips I may have a container of muscles or oysters,

Therefore being a treat they will not last long on the floor of the cage.
Treats also tend to be special tit bits that are feed by hand outside the cage to interact with the bird.

Pumkin seeds, and other scrapes preparing our meals, cali stems, potato peelings etc are added to the daily veggie mix as part of the normal diet.

There is no particular 'treat' for all kakariki, one may prefer a bit of shellfish, another not...or oyster, fish, meat, chicken bone or meat, an armond or nut that you have partly cracked the shell...once they know what is inside they can spend hrs trying and eventually getting into it.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject:

thanks steps! nice to know ur always on hand to help no matter how tedious the question! Laughing
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:

Just thought i'd update on the Q: have been experimenting with all foods ie..fish meat etc and descovered my fussy feathered friend are not too keen on ANY fruit particually but WILL do anything for coconut- they love it!
A ricecrispie and crumb of dry toast goes down quite well too....

probably not recommended but I wondered wot odd favorites other members kaks have favoured??
:)
Dziigute

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:

You can try driend fruit if it helps :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject:

The issue with dried fruit is per mass (weight) it has a very high sugar content.
Think of it like this.. one can sit down with a bag of dried apricots and eat 1/2 doz or so no problems, but sit down and eat the same number of fresh one cant do it as comfortably.
When giving dried fruits, thiunk of the small quanty in terms of its orginal size...
high Sugar+carbs =heart and obesity issues, be it humans or birds.
I have wondered how much effect dried fruits in commercial bird foods, feed on a regular basis could be responsable for unhealthy even short lived birds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject:

Hi All I have just gotten my first Kakariki,and was wondering if you could tell me, I am feeding my girl melon grapes and apples as her fruit and veg treats wondering what veg they like also.

thx
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject:

"Treats" ?
Treats are NOT normal day to day varied and balanced diet.
Veggies, fruit protein are ALL part of a normal balanced diet.
I do not get the modern 'attitude' to healthy foods...
macdonald/ fast food are treats yet we feed them to our fat obese children on a regular basis....without a thought to there quality of as they age...then do the same to our pets...
Sry about being blunt... but attutude is bottom line to the health and quality of life for us, our children and our pets.
Diet info, discussion here
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-12.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply

Firstly thanks for being a welcoming person.
Secondly I do not count your old ways as being treats ,macdonalds ect are certainly not treats,as there food nutrition is really bad for our bodies. I am also not a five year old,and would ever take my grand daughter to anywherthat is not good for her. Thats way I accidently called fruit and veg which I docount as real food as a treat,what was meant was what other things do Kakairkis like,that I havent thought of.
Also thank oyou for showing what sortof a site this is,and its no wonder the activity has dropped.
I thought I would find like minded people not ex school masters, which nasty attitudes.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject:

If u want a PC BS padded out response and cant handle calling a spade a spade...bottom line information..we have no objection to taking your modern pat on the head, attitudes else where.
As to reduction in activity, well u really need to se logs.
This site has been around for a lo9ng time, and in that time has collected a huge library of experienced information from top breeders and pet owners around the world.....
As to activity...
What u dont see it the daily visitor who search the site for information, not needing to become members or even ask questions any more.
Which I must note you where to lazy to do so, simply asking the same thing thats been asked over and over... expecting other to run around after you... probably why u have an issue with "school master" Whistle

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply

AuriaStar wrote:
I thought I would find like minded people not ex school masters, which nasty attitudes.

you thought wrong, we are far worse over here
just kidding

the forum kidna has an old school approach to keeping kakariki and birds in general, and it works better

Quote:
Also thank oyou for showing what sortof a site this is,and its no wonder the activity has dropped.

:fun:

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject:

Thought YOU were looking fo help?

Please, emagine: somewere over the world the are some people shareing the knowlege about their kakariki with you. Just without any demand on anything.

Some things written are belongings of the endividual flock, but few other things might be usual for you too!

We are no gods - BUT we try to help you from the bottom of our heart.

...think " ex school masters" wouldn't write anything, while flying in spheres, not reachable from a simple forumplatform... :=), but we do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Forum Rules And 'How To...' All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: