Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Mixed aviaries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Mixed aviaries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
growingfeathers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Mixed aviaries

Hi everyone
I'm a new member from Cairns , Australia. New to these fantastic Kakarikis too. My first problem was an attack on my avairy by a hawk which left on of my new kaks on his back, literally paralysed with fear. Glad to report that "Hero" has made a full recovery and is now back in the aviary (now reinforced and screened better), with friends. I have a 10metre x 3m. aviary which is also home to my pair of King parrots. All is hunky dory at the moment with the Kings & 4 young kakarikis seeming to enjoy each others company - I'm just wondering whether I will need to separate pairs to breed?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:

Good to hear of the recovery, what did you do for recovery?

We had a pair Kings and Pair Red Kikes in a flight 3m x 1.5x 2m h
The male Kikes got very intimidating towards the kings once mating took place...not attacking doing any damage. The flight was stressed. We moved the kings.
I do not know what radius around the red kikes nesting box they defend.
Reds tend also to be the same to other kikes.
In saying that, we currently have a flight with 2 red males and 1 female sitting and ready to hatch any day...NPs...its even difficult to figure out who the father is.
Going from observation in the limited facilities we have, at a guess, maybe a radius of 6 to 8 meters?? placing the nesting boxes in a cnr. A partition (sheet of ply) hiding the nesting box from the general direct line of sight from the rest of the flight may help.
We have 2 flights with a nesting box in the cnr mounted next to the adjoining flight. This caused all hell between the flights. A small sheet of ply 1m x 800mm Between the 2 fixed the problem, there is also another nesting box on the other side of the ply in the next flight that was mounted after the partition was put up, So I think it is a 'line of sight' thing

Yellows Kikes are far more tolerant, we have breed several pairs with a pair of Crimsons or Kings in a flight slightly smaller than the above and no aggression. And with 2 males 1 female.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the observations re the mixed aviary. I will have to keep a close eye on things. I notice the males are already sleeping in the nest boxes - is this normal?
As for my recovered "Hero" - I brought him inside the house in a parrot cage - he could barely sit on the perch at this stage. I dripped some glucose & water into his beak & rang the vet. The vet advised to keep him warm & quiet so I put up a heat lamp for a couple of days
( placed so he could get in or out of the effect) . Then it was just glucose in the water at first followed by polyaid every day. Gradually he looked better so I put I him in the aviary for a supervised hour each day. He seemed surprised that he couldn't fly ! I guess he must have been bruised .but he is strong again now. Funnily enough , through all this he never lost his appetite!
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject:

Males will often overnight in nest boxes. Perfectly normal behaviour. That is why it usually a good idea to have two or even three boxes per pair, one for female and chicks, one for male and sometimes one for female to lay in again while male finishes rearing chicks in the first box.
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Kikes and Cockatoo

Just thought I would mention that I had two of my kikes in with Loki my female Elanora Cockatoo for about a month while their cage was being refitted. The three of them got along famously. Even now, they interact well while outside their cages, altho now they don't let her get too close. All 4 of my Kikes interact with the Cockatoo well.
Wiccawolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: