Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Tips
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Tips

Good day,

I just registered myself here at the forums, and hopefully someone can help me out here. Sorry for the bad English, i hope you guys can understand Wink

My dad his neighbor has got an big aviary with lots of Kakariki's in it. one couple had a few eggs and 1 kakariki came out of it. The dad died after 2 weeks since the birth of the young kakariki. The mother feeded him until he came out of the breeding cage.

After that, the most of the birds started attacking this young kakariki. The mother stopped feeding him as soon as he left the breeding cage. She also didn't pay much attention to him/her after he got out.

After 2 days the neighbor decided to take the little kakariki out of the aviary because he was still getting attacked most of the time. The young one didnt even have time to eat because of the other kakariki's.

I think he/she is about 35 - 40 days old now.

I decided to take the little kakariki home. After a day he started eating and drinking. Everything seems okay. Although he still acts abit scared when i walk pass the cage. I regularly talk to him and im not putting my hands in the cage yet ( only for giving him/her food/water ).

Any tips for me and the young kakariki? Do i need to do some things differently because he/she is still young?

PS: I think it's a female. Im not sure.
Also added some pictures.
He/she will get a much bigger cage in probably 6 weeks.

1st day: http://i59.tinypic.com/28gw1oz.jpg
2nd day: http://i61.tinypic.com/35kork5.jpg
2nd day eating: http://i61.tinypic.com/v339dd.jpg
Current cage: http://i59.tinypic.com/2llhw6u.jpg

The picture quality is not that good because i didnt use the flash on the camera. I dont want to scare the little thing Wink

Thanks in advance!
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

Sorry, i did not mean breeding cage. It was a nest box.

( Sorry somehow i could not find a edit button for the post above )
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:

Little update:

She is doing better by the day and she is eating alot more at the moment. It's nice to see her grow everyday. She is also more responding to me when i talk to her, and she even started playing with some of her toys.

I also buyed some Multivitamin, just in case
Wink.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
After that, the most of the birds started attacking this young kakariki.

That is very unusual.. generally it is the un paired males that go straight to new fledged chicks and feed/ raise them... uncling
Quote:

The mother stopped feeding him as soon as he left the breeding cage. She also didn't pay much attention to him/her after he got out.

yes that is generally normal... the hen under normal circumstances at this stage would be hatching another set of eggs in another nesting box... the male would be feeding her and looking after the 1st batch of chicks.
If one has 1 nesting box, the hen goes to nest the 2nd time in the same box as the 1st batch chicks, she is about her new clutch and doesnt recognise the old clutch as hers... so much so she will treat the old batch of chicks as intruders..
[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply and the info Steptoe,

I asked some people who also have kakariki's and they also said that none was ever attacked. So indeed it's very strange that this happened.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

If the chick is defective, then yes it maybe attacked, hen may also stop feeding .......
Often we do not recognise captive defective birds till 3 to 12months, when they may just get lethargic and die... in so many ways nature may seem cruel, but when thought thru.....not so, and preserves the genetic integrity of the species.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject:

He looks very healthy, he's growing well and learning new things everyday.
Let's hope it will stay this way then :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: