Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Female sat on infertile eggs! Advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Female sat on infertile eggs! Advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Female sat on infertile eggs! Advice?

I have got a female kaki sat on 5 eggs.

We waited for 13 days after she laid the last egg before I got my mate to test them ny shining a light inside to see if they are fertile, all 5 are infertile, just white with the yolk and an airspace at the top.

I would like some advice what to do about them, she is still currently sat on them. Do I take them out?? Do I leave them in??

Any advice would be great.

PS, both male and female kakis are kept in a large cage inside my girlfriends house, not in an aviary, and they are the only two birds in the cage.
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Female sat on infertile eggs! Advice?

Hi unclechicken i have been having the same trouble as of late. 4 out of 5 of my pairs with eggs last week were inferitile. It is heartbreaking as all of these pairs are unrelated and there is no reason why they should not be fertilie as they get a good diet and housed well. In answering your question you should remove the eggs so they can start again. If anyone has any tips to help with feritility i am shore there would be a few of us that would appreciate it.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the drop in fertility can be attributed to human factors. It has been my experience that sometimes we expect a lot from our birds. Imagine your birds in the same way you would your our children for a minute. Your favourite daughter brings home the new boyfriend. Shock horror he is a dead beat. You move heaven and earth and then some to try and show her the error of her ways. But, true love will usually win through eventually.
Well, that pair of birds in the aviary look great. The two feed together and the cock bird is excited and even feeds his new mate. You haven't seen them mating but hey she is in the box and laying eggs. Everything should be great. But, that clutch of eggs are all clear. Quick, rip out that lot and sure enough she is laying again. Everything should be perfect but yet again she has a clear batch. Okay turf her or the cock bird and lets start the process all over again. Sound familiar. All we want is young on the perch so we can see some success for all the hard work.
Unfortunately the most important thing has been overlooked. Birds are living creatures and as such have feelings too. There are lots of relationships in the human world that "survive" due to circumstances. It doesnt mean either person is really happy. Birds are very much in the same vein. Sometimes the best things in life come to those who are patient.
My suggestion would be to leave the eggs and let the hen sit on them until she decides they just aren't going to hatch. It is a learning curve for young hens. Consider that while it is frustrating for the breeder it could be the time that the bond between the pair actually clicks. If the cock bird continues checking on his mate and feeding her during the dry run the bond will be stronger and between them they may just get it right next time around. I have a true pair that has laid a batch of 8 clear eggs. It is the first time she has failed to produce. The eggs were left and sure enough after day 25 she has left them. Now if I was keen to cash in I could have pulled them and forced her to lay again. But imagine the added stress of laying another round of eggs. My guess is that she would get frustrated and the consequences could be disasterous.
There are many factors that influence the breeding cycle of birds. Birds are far better at predicting the coming weather patterns than we will ever be. So, my advice would be to look at all the factors and try to make educated decisions based on the birds point of view. If the housing is good and the diet correct then PATIENCE is the key. Dare to be different and think outside the square. I am constantly looking at new ideas and have found my breeding success is slowly starting to climb. It has taken many years to realise that Kakariki are unique and your success in breeding them is totally dependant on THEIR happiness, not yours.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:

The basic philosophy described above applies not just to breeding parrots.
It applies to taming, feeding, everything, and not just parrots and children, but horses, dogs, all living pets and even cats. The only exception would be fish

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your replies Steptoe and Kaka-Riki.

I was thinking to leave them in anyway, because if I took them out, she would have started laying again and I didnt want to tire her out forcing her to lay again.

Ill leave them in and its up to her then to find out that there not going to hatch, and it will give her a rest too, especially that its her first clutch of eggs.

Thanks a lot you guys, I didnt know what to do, and youve helped

She is a well loved Pet first, and her welfare is paramount. If she does ever have any babies it would be good, but her well being and happiness comes before all this, thats why I am inexperienced in this and its a new situation ive found myself in, and naturally I came here to ask for advice. I got her as a companion for my male kaki, and dont want her tired out/exhausted at all.

Thanks! <v> <v>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: