Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - how many kakarikis ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

how many kakarikis ????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: how many kakarikis ????

i currently have an aviary that is about 4 metres long, 2 metres high and about 1 metres wide. It used to house finches, but am thinking about strying some kakarikis. I was wondering how many birds would be happy in this enclosure.....i was thinking of 3 pairs??????

also will they fight when breeding????
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I know this topic has been covered on the site before but thought I would update everyone on our experiment. We have a bank of aviaries that measure 3mtrs long x 2.1mhigh x 1.2mtrs wide. We normally house our young Kakariki in these aviaies but as things had quietened down on the breeding front we decided to try 2 pair in one of the aviaries. It had been tried before with very little success.
This time we put 2 young cock birds that are brothers into the aviary along with 2 young hens which are sisters but not related to the cock birds. The birds were approx 6 months old and have not previously been paired off. They are all recessive pied so it makes no difference who pairs with who.
At first there was a bit of aggression around the feeding stations. We have 2 feed stations but they all decided to use the one. Once things settled down the cock birds decided they both liked the same hen. There was no fighting but the hen loved the attention and would tease both birds almost constantly. As none of the birds were physically being harmed we let them go.
Only this morning when feeding, I noticed both hens have now settled in a nest box and the proud cock birds are keeping watch from on top of the box. So it will be interesting to see what happens from here. I will keep you posted.
As for your original question I would suggest you start with 2 pairs and make sure they are all young birds. Watch for aggressive males and if housing 2 pairs I would place 4 nest boxes in the flight, at least in the early days. Try and keep as much distance as possible between the boxes. Try and fit a couple of feed stations as well. Again if you find everyone gets along you can remove one at a later date.
The last thing to remember is that even though you want that particular hen to pair with that cock bird it doesn't mean they will. If colony breeding always house compatible mutations and or species. NEVER put a pair of red fronted and a pair of yellow fronted into a colony situation. The resultant hybrids are worthless and should be avoided at all times.
2 pairs in one aviary means extra soft food as well. Keep up the fruit and veg and this seems to help keep harmony amongst the birds. Good luck.
demons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:

thanks for the help....

what happens if different types breed, yellow with red ??????

and will they interbreed???????
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what happens if different types breed, yellow with red ??????

Don't confuse the yellow bodied kakariki with the yellow crowned
Most of the available mutations are from the red crowned species and are not a cross between the yellow and red crown.
The yellow crowned and red crowned are different species, crossing these creates hybrids (not mutations)
Hybridisation is a big No No and illegal in NZ, there is no way that these should ever be released into the wild and corrupt the natural genetic pool
As far as breeders off shore go, I believe that this screws up their breeding programs, and they are always looking to introduce new pure gene pools....This is an area that Kaka-riki and other breeders would have to explain...out of my area of expertise

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject:

As Steptoe has explained, here in Australia there are several mutations of the Red fronted Kakariki. These mutations can be combimed but I would recommend that you talk to a breeder who has bred theses mutations first to find out which ones are okay to combine. I will prepare a list of the mutations here in Australia and post it on a new thread. That will give you some basic knowledge to help get you started.
The Yellow fronted Kakariki is a seperate species to the Red fonted variety. Unfortunately it is rapidly declining in numbers here in Australia due largely to breeders crossing the two species. The resultant offspring are larger than the original Yellow front and the head band is a mixture of red and yellow. These birds are of no value and the resultant offspring from future generations throw both red and yellow fronted birds but never true to the species in regard to size and colour. The in breeding was done by breeders hoping to introduce the red fronted mutations into the yellows. Because it takes many years to do this properly the breeders grew impatient and cashed in by selling low quality hybrids. These days trying to find genuine yellow fronts can be a hard task.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
These days trying to find genuine yellow fronts can be a hard task.(Australia)

In NZ althu good yellows are harder to come by, it is getting reds that are pure that can prove difficult.
Mutations are not avalible in NZ.
If u look very closely at the red crown on the site logo, u will see that is a hybrid...When the logo was made, the site had not been published and was never expected to be where it was now...was a bit of irony at the time signlol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:

thanks very much....

i have been offered birds by a friend.....they have about 12 kaks in an aviary....yellows, reds and cinamins

they have told me to take what ever i want.....

i was planning to take a pair of each???????
but now i am confused...if they inter breed will the young be ok.....

also if you leave the young in with the parents will they be ok????

sorry to ask stupid questions
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
i have been offered birds by a friend.....they have about 12 kaks in an aviary....yellows, reds and cinnamons

1st off how big is your aviary?
As far as breeding u will need separate aviaries
use the quick search button to the left to find more info on community flights, number per size of aviary and have a good read thru the forums, there is detailed info in there.
Quote:
also if you leave the young in with the parents will they be ok????
yes, by nature Kakariki are a flock/community bird, but get Territorial only when go to nest. Not do harm but will bully even much larger birds like kings..From my personal observations the Red crown does, the yellow Doesn't.
Again spend a bit of time going thru the forums, it will be well worth your time, not just on your questions but other things that will crop up in the future...Keep in mind this site has now been built into the single and most comprehensive Site/Book/ of any media for any info on Kakariki.
Quote:
sorry to ask stupid questions

A "stupid question" is one that stupid ppl are too afraid to ask, and laugh when an intelligent person asks...after all thats how they became intelligent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:

thanks very much for your help

will the different types interbreed?????

and if they do will the young be genitically ok...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject:

If they have all got a red Crown and red that goes thru the eye and a red patch behind it, yes they are all red crown species mutations
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:

As I said in my earlier post Kakariki will interbreed if put in an aviary together. You should only select birds that can be combined without breeding useless hybrids.
If you are not sure check out the pics in the gallery and tell us if any of the pics match the birds you are keen on. That way we can help you with your selections. I will post a pic of the Yellow fronted species in the gallery on the weekend to help you identify the birds.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject:

So Kaka-riki....are you saying there a good chance that my bird is not pure.......I cannot see any yellow in him at all and from what i have seen he is a fairly big bird.....I am hoping to get an aviery in the new year and wanted to get him a hen and breed.....is this not a good idea????
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: how many kakarikis ????

Hi Sue your boy looks as pure as anything in my aviaries. You should have no dramas breeding him although his new bride may be a bit jealous of your relationship you have with him. Try to get a visually young hen as i have found out the hard way it is better to be patient and wait for a young hen to mature. Cheers Kev.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Kellie,
Judging by the pics of your Kakariki I would say he is a pure Red fronted and so there wouldn't be any problems breeding from him. The problem is not so common in Red fronteds but more so in the Yellow fronted species.
As for finding him a mate I would suggest it is a great idea. Just remember that a bird that has spent most of it's time indoors will need time to adjust to the outdoors. The best time for making changes is late Summer before the nights get too cold.
That should fit well with your plans for a new aviary.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:

When i bought him he was in a cage with YFs and he was the only RF.....I chose him because he was so much bigger and brighter looking.....Yes the plan is to get him set up early next year but it is only a plan at the moment.....I will get a hen at the same time so they can both go in together.....but I will not put a box in for a little while Laughing I am sure I will have many questions when the time comes Think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: