Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki's Foraging Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki's Foraging Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharumba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Kakariki's Foraging Question

Hi,

I would just like to say what a great forum you have here!!!

Being a newbie with kakarik's i would just like to ask whether it is advisable to let our kakariki forage in the bottom of the cage? Originally we put wood chippings in the bottome and they seemed to enjoy rummaging about for bits of food that they have thrown out of the food bowl, but then somebody advised us to put the metal rack back in to prevent them doing this as there is the possibility of them coming into contact with their own waste.

The cage would be cleaned out once a week regardless so was just wondering what would be best? Let them forage or put back the rack

Many thanks in advance

Shaun
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject:

By nature Kakariki spend a lot of time on the forest floor digging for grubs and insects. (See section on diet and how Kakariki are different to most other parrots.) Feeding fresh veggies is important, if the veggies fall thru the bottom they then cant get to it. After a while u will get a 'feel' as how much to feed each day without wastage...Also dicing into approx green peas size also reduces wastage...and old material on the cage floor.

In Aviaries, many advise a tray of dirt to scratch around in...
We have pumice sand that is cleaned once a week. Plus leaved branches almost 2 m x 1m Diam go in each we, these also provide a great amount of material for them to scratch around in.
We have a couple of flightless (damaged in the nest) Kakariki in an indoor cage..this has a mesh base...on this we lay fresh news paper, changed every couple days...not cause dirty, but they have shredded it

We have other members far more experienced in keeping Kakariki as a pets, I'm sure they will be able to add far better practical advice later when they wake up or finish work (international times Zones )

Thank you for the complaints on the Site...Its the members and community that make it the way it has evolved.....Something that you r now part of, w3c

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Hi shaun and w3c...I have the grate in the bottom of my boys cage but he can still reach through with his super long legs and get his left overs.....I also place some newspaper over the top of the gtrate sometimes and yes he shreds it all up...........I have a few scratch trays out side of the cage....under the play trees that he enjoys scratching about in.......I have sand in these and small sticks and some bark.....I will sometimes put some meal worms in which he spots in about 0.5 of a second or some sunflower seeds.......to anwser your question it is really up to you....if you are going to leave the grate out and allow him to forage on the bottom i would clean it out at least twice a week...and also consider using some other material rather than wood shavings like rivers sand.....and worm him regularly.......or you can place the grate back in and build him a scratch tray for when he is out of the cage. Wink it depends on how much mess you want to clean up Rolling Eyes
sharumba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:

Thankyou both for your advice! I think i'll go with the option of making a tray for when she is out of her cage. I did notice today that kikki was trying to reach down through the grate with her legs but they're just not long enough bless her.

She has just found out the joys of taking a bath and soaking the sofa, plug points and carpet...signlol and don't they look delightful after a good soaking!!!

Shaun
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

Tell me about it....they splash more then my 4yr old daughter in the bath....and they take a fair while to dry too.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: