Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki’s mate died
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki’s mate died

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Kakariki’s mate died

Hi, My name is Petra and I have some questions...

Recently our 12/13 year old female Kakariki died leaving behind a grieving mate (same age). We believe the mate also to be female, but we are not 100% sure.
They lived happily together in an indoor aviary.
Since her death a couple of weeks ago the leftover Kakariki is screaming a lot and seems lonely. I try to give her more attention, but she is really not that interested in me.
Now I wonder what to do. Should I give her a new mate? she is not a young bird anymore, will that work out? And if so, should we get a young or an older bird? Also, what if we get another young Kakariki and this one dies....the whole sad thing starts all over again. I really don’t know what the best solution is, how do other people handle this? Any suggestions? I would love to hear them.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

12/13yrs is a good age for a kakariki to get to.
you say the other you are not sure if male or female.
There are many threads/ posts where people have posted pic asking. Also in the gallery further pics/ examples.
If still not sure, post a good pic showing the birds face.

Introducing a new bird early can cause issues occasionally, so best to wait like you have.

1st thing is to establish if you have a male or female bird.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your answer Steptoe...
I think she is a girl, but like I said, I'm not sure so I will post a picture.
I am talking about the green bird, the yellow one unfortanetly died not long after taking this photo. I know she was a girl because she died egg bound on the operating table. Their mating rituals were funny, they took turns playing "male", if you know what I mean.
Hope this is a good picture to see the shape of her/his head.
Thanks in advance!

kakariki's.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.12 KB
 Viewed:  162 Time(s)

kakariki's.jpg

Petra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I think, maybe this one is better....

IMG_0102 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.12 KB
 Viewed:  169 Time(s)

IMG_0102 2.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Yes 2nd better.. A little full on of the face pic?
At that angle maybe female.
Also open up a wing and have a look at the underside.
A defined yellow stripe indicates female.
A faint broken stripe male.

If female I would look at getting another older female, possible from a local breeder where the female has become infertile.
If male, a young female. He will either finish weaning of, or may try to start to breed with her. If wean good.. if try to start to mate, a separate cage starting on the other side of the room, or next room so they start to talk communicate 1st.
Either way I would suggest to start in next room for few days.. get them calling talking .. build the relationship over a week or so.

If introduced suddenly, you are introducing another bird uninvited into their personal domain...it can go good or can often go wrong...agressional, territorial stuff.

When introduce in same cage, important that perches , toys, even location of where in room or even different room for a few days.

Cheers
Steps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, that answer is a great help!
I had read about looking under the wing, but because she has always been so healthy [does not even need her nails clipped] I hardly ever handle her and I really do not want to stress her too much at this point in time. I been trying to look under her wings when she flies or flaps, but that is near impossible!
So, I'm sending two more pics hoping for more certainty. A full on face pic is really difficult to make, they seem to be always looking away.
I could make only one from above...
Still think female is most likely. She is about the same size as the other female was. Also the yellow bird was always dominant and would it not be more likely that it was the other way around if she were a he?

kakariki 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.69 KB
 Viewed:  164 Time(s)

kakariki 2.jpg

kakariki 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.2 KB
 Viewed:  164 Time(s)

kakariki 1.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
[does not even need her nails clipped]

Never , never clip a kakarikis wings.. they get very upset for a long time

Quote:
I been trying to look under her wings when she flies or flaps, but that is near impossible!

If female with full strip, it can be seen as a flash while in flight while underneath.
Also give them some wild mint.. they use it to prune with.. while pruning they go under their wings.

I think female.. It has a beak that is not quite definite male or female.. we have had a couple birds like that over the yrs..mistook for males, because of exceptional size.
Dont rely on the size of the bird, that depends very much on it genetic heritage, if been hand raised or or parent raised, and that depends on the diet supplied.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Thank you so much, I will look for the stripe...
Oh...and I said nails, not wings....I would never ever clip a birds wings ofcourse.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Nails...we have never clipped nails.. kakariki naturally have longer nails than most other species. We have had on numerous occasions have rescued kakariki from ppl who should not have pets... where nails got excessively long.. I was going to get around to trimming them as their health picked up. Before I could do so , they have nipped the excessive lengths off , once in recover mod.
So never actually had to do so.
Our sulphur crested and later king house parrots I would file the sharp tips down for our own convenience.. stop scratching us..bigger heavier bird, more grip on the arm, bigger scratches thumb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

I did notice that, the lenght of their nails and beak seems to be related to their health. Also plenty of branches and stuff on the floor they can dig around in help of course.
Over the last week I have made a real effort bonding with our lonely bird and I seem to be making some progress. She comes to me now and makes little sounds when I speak to her. Before she was just interested in her mate. I have not decided yet what we will do with her. We will take it slowly and see what comes our way. Thank you for all the good advice.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

That sounds good...I had assumed that the birds where already tamed right down
Make use of the "Quick Search" block on the left Taming
A cup of coffee, a good book, a towel on bottom of the cage door ( makes your arm comfortable) and a apple slice, or mint.
And deal with any aggressive nipping very early..
details in older posts Quick search.

Keep in mind thu , kakariki are very independent by nature.. you co habit rather than have a cuddly pet. You have to give them a reason to interact with you... It is this independence thats the base reason they are not prone to loneliness feather plucking etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: