Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Heat and breeding
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Heat and breeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Heat and breeding

I am worried about our Kakarikis breeding now during the hot summer. Our daytime temp here is often around 30 C and sometimes goes to 35 C plus. We lost 8 chicks all at once to heat in Feb (38 C day). Maybe I should remove nest boxes until March.

Does anyone breed in ahot climate and if so what do they do?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject:

We dont get temps quite like that....
On very hot days we use capillary garden mist sprays. Althu it doesnt cover the whole flight area (other wise nesting boxes, seed etc get wet). the birds , once used to it enjoy the fine spray.
Wetting down the flights has a chilling effect, sort of like meths does on ones skin as it evaporates.
I was reading in the English parrot mag (think it wa there) someone from the States was taking about not having the birds breed in summer, but rather thru winter.
Kikes, with the right temps. weather will breed all year round if give the chance.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: take the top of the nestbox off

Sometimes we have hot days, I can take the top and a piece of the front of the nestbox away. I never lost a chick below 36C.
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: