Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - HELP Please - should I put a nesting box in now?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

HELP Please - should I put a nesting box in now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: HELP Please - should I put a nesting box in now?

My hen has laid 3 eggs on the floor (now with sitting budgie) in the past week.
Should I put in a nesting box or make her wait until March when it starts to cool down like I was originally planning to?
There is no nesting boxes in the cage they are in but they can see into the next cage that has a breeding pair of budgies that have had 3 hatch in the past week.
kakasa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

When a bird wants to nest it doesn't seem to make much difference if a nest box is present or not. Sometimes they will lay on the ground; sometimes they will dig a hole and it's not only Kak's that do this. Lot's of parrots will so in my own aviaries there are always nest boxes present. Generally when the birds want a break they will take it.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

By all means put in a box. Just make sure that it is not in direct sunlight, not too close to the roof of the avairy and make sure it is fairly large.

The most dangerous period for the chicks overheating is from about 3 - 5 weeks of age as they have most of their feathers and cannot get out of the box yet and the box gets crowded.
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

Thank you, I will put n a box today - she laid her 4th egg this week on the floor.

Please accept my apologies in advance for any stupid questions I may ask, I have never bred anything except Bourkes & Budgies.

I am wanting to have a go with Kakariki's as now after only a few months of having them I can't imagine not having them. I have bred budgies for years & years but in a few short months Kakariki's are my favourite. Laughing
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Thank you, I will put n a box today - she laid her 4th egg this week on the floor.

Please accept my apologies in advance for any stupid questions I may ask, I have never bred anything except Bourkes & Budgies.

I am wanting to have a go with Kakariki's as now after only a few months of having them I can't imagine not having them. I have bred budgies for years & years but in a few short months Kakariki's are my favourite. Laughing
kakasa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Like you Karen I started with budgies but once I got my first Kak's I quickly became "addicted" to them. Now they make up the bulk of my birds and I am just starting to build another bank of aviaries for more of them. Also any question that increases ones knowledge is certainly not stupid.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

The stupid question is the one thats not asked by stupid ppl...thats why they stay stupid Shocked
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Laughing That sound quite prophetic Steps!

Well I put 3 nesting boxes in the aviary this morning as I have a pair of budgies that are desperate to mate.
The budgie hen went straight to her 'usual' box no problems.
The kiki hen went and started investigating her 2 boxes straight away which I thought kinda cute.
Anyway, after about 10 minutes of investigating, the budgie hen seemed to get fed up with the kiki hen going from box to box & grabbed her tail. Now the kiki hen makes this kind of 'scared baby magpie' sound whenever the budgie goes near her.
Does this mean she is afraid of the budgie or warning her?
kakasa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Karen is it possible for you to move the budgies into a breeding box or another cage or even partition the aviary they are in? Budgie hens can be quite aggressive and if the Kak does lay and hatch young the budgie may well kill them.
Kak's are inquisitive by nature (part of their charm) and can be bred with other birds in a large aviary with a good choice of nest boxes, but some birds, like budgies, lovebirds are best bred in their own colony.
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I have thought of moving the budgies but unfortunately no, I cannot.

I do, however know this budgie hen. She is not nor has she ever raided a nest (I know there is always a first).
My wonder is really if the KIKE would hurt her as she is being pest. Once she settles down in her own nest box she will be fine and will leave the kike alone.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

There is no male? right?
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Both the Kike & Budgie have males.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

When they go to nest u WILL have to pull your other birds out.
Our Kakariki will intimidate even much larger birds like Kings and Crimsions...thu Yellow crowns don't or not as much...
unless Kakariki are in a well established flock, they will also do the same to other Kakariki.
This has been discussed in other threads before, and mixed flights

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I had seen those threads, but I was kinda hoping they'd be okay as they have lived together for the past month. Sad
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Our kings and Kakariki where together for almost a yr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: