Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Rosellas v's Kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Rosellas v's Kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Wild Kakariki Sightings?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turtlehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Rosellas v's Kakarikis

Is there a difference between Rosellas and Kakarikis in size and flight pattern? Given they are the only small parrots in NZ. I know the colour difference but if they are too far away to see their colouration is there a way of distinguishing them?
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

There calls are different.........but I am afraid i cant help you out much more than that duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Size , diiferent colour, different .....
when in flight the rosela has much larger wings, more pionted in shape.
The rossealla is a far more 'scatty' bird. Thu it tends to sit more in the trees, where as a kakariki is more on the move.
Rossella, in NZ, in my books should be put on the list of ferrel birds/animals/plants to be externimated, along with myna magpies.
A law change took place many yrs ago, reclassifing degrees of pests...I think a PC move ny some over paid and bored beaucrat...before that it was a more simple...banned not bannrd and enforcement was better.
Now enforcement is very wishy washy.
One just has to drive around our city...Ginger, gorse, there in front gardens and has been there for yrs. And local council cant see it
Drive down the road to the Goat Island Marine Reserve...one can see damn near every banned weed in NZ...DoC drive down that road most days for the last 30 or 30 yrs I know of and its still there.

E.Rossella are so established in NZ, in foreest and cities most ppl think they are native!!

Why do u ask?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Size , diiferent colour, different .....
when in flight the rosela has much larger wings, more pionted in shape.
The rossealla is a far more 'scatty' bird. Thu it tends to sit more in the trees, where as a kakariki is more on the move.
Rossella, in NZ, in my books should be put on the list of ferrel birds/animals/plants to be externimated, along with myna magpies.
A law change took place many yrs ago, reclassifing degrees of pests...I think a PC move ny some over paid and bored beaucrat...before that it was a more simple...banned not bannrd and enforcement was better.
Now enforcement is very wishy washy.
One just has to drive around our city...Ginger, gorse, there in front gardens and has been there for yrs. And local council cant see it
Drive down the road to the Goat Island Marine Reserve...one can see damn near every banned weed in NZ...DoC drive down that road most days for the last 30 or 30 yrs I know of and its still there.

E.Rossella are so established in NZ, in foreest and cities most ppl think they are native!!

Why do u ask?

I would just like to know whether I am seeing Rosellas or Kakes. I am most likely seeing Rosellas. I fully agree with you if they actually inforced their anti-pest laws there would be alot of unhappy people. Mynas, Magpies, Rooks and Rosellas should be banned from being kept as pets though magpies make great pets and should be actively eliminated. Some councils do get magpies when they are a problem. But I am unsure about mynas. The main problem with these four bird species is that they are too smart. They kill the endangered Kereru chicks and probably other endemic birds. You are actually meant to clear all noxious weeds from a ten metre area around your boundary and for some species it is 100 metres like Pampas grass(not to be confused with or as the native toetoe species). Like other conservation topics we have discussed they need more funding and more onto it beaurocrats and workers. I am familiar with the flora and fauna that occurs in NZ more than the average kiwi and it pisses me off that more isn't done to eliminate these pests. The only plant pest I don't mind is Buddleia because I like butterflies and they attract them really well.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
noxious weeds

Thats the point we don't have them anymore...
Some bored bureaucrat decided we needed a nicer name and categories and took the 'sting' out of the old ledgistation...

And "meant to clear" Thats another way of saying
"I'm busy right now and will do it when I'm free" lets not forget everyone is busy all the time and are never free...

In our city gardens my biggest problem is Privet, old mans beard, tobacco weed, aspargrass...and it knocks the hang out of the native puriri, five fingers, pepper, silver ferns etc and other trees/native grasses starting to self seed. And the local city council just mouths a few politically correct words..has the odd clamp down but nothing happens.
Years of hard line talk and no real hard line action....

Ever noticed most of the introduced noxious weeds are poisonous to native birds and ppl? And our native birds, even aviary breed don't touch poisonous native plant or are immune to them? like Karaka, tutu, poropro. In fact the latter is an important part to recovery of the kakapo and fertility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
...tobacco weed...

Haven't heard of that one. Could it be Woolly Nightshade or Ink weed? They are the only Tobaccoy things I know of. Curse our awesome climate Laughing thats the only reason all these weeds are so successful.

Steptoe wrote:
...poropro. In fact the latter is an important part to recovery of the kakapo and fertility.

Didn't know there was a link between those two.

I read on the kakapo recovery site that one female apparently raised a clutch of chicks on pine needles Shocked .

The Rimu tree is meant to be linked to their breeding too.

Why don't they play the booming sound to encourage the males to boom?
moanasongbird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Tobacco weed aka woolly nightshade & other pest plants i

Yes...pest plants and animals annoy me to bits...main thing is for each person to do their bit.
Approach your regional council they will have a list or. A booklet , they might even supply you with some vigilant to treat cut stumps of privet etc. if you are seriously keen, the council may sponsor you to a grow safe course so you can legally spray on council reserves etc.
I am a volunteer working under the BOP RegionalCouncil since 2003, we are killing mustelids, possum, and rat baiting...applied to this council for an enhancement grant for initial funding, then gathered other volunteers and went from there.
We are reclaiming the public land around the Tauranga harbour for the public and restoring it for the flora and fauna. Council has been great we have a mentor and they supply about $1000 worth of plants a year, plus we grow kowhai, poroporo, tree fucshia etc as well.
I get annoyed when we drive in to Tauranga or through the Karangahaki Gorge and there are so many pest plants everywhere.

Question...how can I tell the difference between kakriki and green rosellas when in flight, as I thought I got a glimpse of a pair of kakariki at Mt Pirongia yesterday...they did one circuit high up in the trees above the picnic area, made no sound as they flew...do rosellas always call while flying, like the eastern rosellas who live near me do?
They also looked plumper and slightly shorter than rosellas...am I right in thinking they were kakariki?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Wild Kakariki Sightings? All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: