Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Pied Gene?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Pied Gene?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natenla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if she was born with it or not, The breeder gave her to me as it was his last one and he stopped breeding kikes years ago. He ws going to "rip her head off' as he put it.signlol. Because of her beak. I told him I would take her instead. I just thought maybe I could see if she bred or not? But I think I may just get another female perhaps a pied for my male.
She had been in the same cage as my rainbow lorrie and they became good friends, I have noticed my lorrie must be a male when he started getting randy with my hand, Hmm hmmm :oops: and thats when I thought perhaps I should remove my kaki girl incase he tries "the move" on her <v> ! Any ideas on weather they would inter breed? I hope not!! Think What a combinatin that would be!! lmao
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know, the has been 1 cross of a kakariki and Rosellla...
Many of us have seen photos and the story (link in forums somewhere to the site)
To me it looks plausible, but I have serious doubts.
I wouldn't worry about a cross
Leave them where they are...if a bit of trouble arises...keep an eye on them...then separate....go with their flow.
Quote:
The breeder gave her to me as it was his last one and he stopped breeding kikes years ago.

Now that to Me sounds real...We have 2 of the kakariki I have mentioned somewhere in a large indoor cage.. nether can flight and one also has Asama. The other 1 just died. If we gave up breeding yes most properly they would be the last to go.
Quote:
He ws going to "rip her head off' as he put it..
This not spoken very openly amonst breeds, none of us take any please what so every in doing so
We do have 'dud' birds and chicks that would die in the wild otherwise.

I don't know if I'm speaking out of turn here...
One word of advice, don't ever try to ring a birds neck. There is a chance you may not do it 1st time. That leaves "rip her head off' 1st time around.
I don't want to sound callous here, but u get into breeding you have to accept the odd time a bird is hurt or whatever..u cant keep building bigger and bigger aviaries to house these, and not spend that space to making the species stronger for their sake.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Pied Gene?

Hi guys i have just posted some more pictures in my album. This gives you guys in Australia an idea of whats becoming available here. I have made up about 8 pairs not directly related in a bid to keep size and fertility up. I have about 6 bloodlines so fingers crossed. Then maybe one day i'll get some of those Blackeyed Clears and have some real fun.Cheers Kev

http://www.kakariki.net/modules.php?set_albumName=Cattscapes-Pics&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
natenla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I have come across a split pied hen that I can get, would the cock I have and the hen produce pied offspring easier than the cinnammon and the cock?? Thanks by the way for all the help so far!!
natenla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Sorry just looked back on the posts and saw Peters post about two split pieds breeding,signlol. I think I will buy this little girl! Laughing
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Natenla,
If you pair 2 birds that are "split" for a mutation you will produce both splits and coloured offspring in that mutation. In simple terms that means it is a better option to pair the split pied hen with your split pied cock bird.

You should be able to increase the pied areas by selective breeding with the young birds you produce. It is a great way to start off if you have an interest in the genetic side of mutations. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: