Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - My Boy hates the Girls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

My Boy hates the Girls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: My Boy hates the Girls

I have a male in with 2 females (so he could choose) but he hates both of them & is always scaring them away & sometimes pulls some of their feathers out if they weren't quick enough to get out of the way.
I have 5 nesting boxes in the aviary so there is plenty to choose from. The girls haven't (that I've seen) made any overt signs to him that they are interested.

I had a 2nd male in there but took him out a week ago. At that time all 4 birds were afraid of each other Rolling Eyes

I've got no idea what to do! What am I doing wrong? duno
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

Karen,
There is a Golden rule to pairing Kakariki. That is, ALWAYS place the hen in the aviary first and NEVER place new pairs in an aviary with nest boxes. The nest boxes should only be put in once the pair have settled down and the cock bird has lost any aggression he may have had toward the hen.

We actually use small budgie breeding cages (without the box) to let unruly birds get to know each other before they are put into an aviary. Cock birds can be territiorial by nature and the best way to curb that in these birds is reduce the amount of space they have to work in. Since introducing this method into our aviaries we have had no problems in pairing birds,
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that, first thing tomorrow I will remove them & place into a smaller cage.

I had a laugh today, the male kiki decided he wanted a female budgie to move so he showed aggression towards her. She bashed him off the box onto the floor & now he is afraid of her! Laughing
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Well I moved the 2 I want to bond into a smaller non breeding cage on riday & I have to say they have both been miserable & have kept on either side of the cage away from each other!

Will they eventually bond? I am worried that they'll never like each other!
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Karen,
There is a saying that should be applied to all aspects of breeding Kakariki. That saying is "Rome wasn't built in a day". Patience is the only way to continued success. I wish I had a dollar for every phone call I get where the breeder is annoyed that their birds haven't bred. The usual answer to my first question is "well they have been together for at least 2 days. Not sure if I am old fashioned but I do believe even birds deserve some time to get to know each other.

If after 2-3 weeks nothing has changed then move the 2 birds to a new location. Keep them togther and see if that sparks something between them. We spent nearly 6 months encouraging a particular pair that we needed to further our breeding program to get along and after trying many different ideas they are now feeding their 3rd clutch. Patience really will pay off.
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

ahh okay patience! Grant me patience Lord but Hurry!

signlol! They have known each other for over 3 months but this is the first time they have been alone.
Originally my boy (cin. red) bonded with a yellow crown which of course I didn't want (I had removed his sister). wall

I just want them to be happy!

Going to a bird show next Sunday so maybe I can get someone who will please him (if patience wanes).
Seriously, I just want more Kakariki's!! I am so in love with these guys!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: