Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - floor of the cage???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

floor of the cage???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah87
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

hiya

thanks for all info its been really helpful, i might try ringing/writeing to the local animal shelters and see if they have any volountry work and see how i go with that, i no wot you mean about mistreated animals 4 of my 7 cats were strays, the 2 boys jerry and paws were both skin and bones and not spayed wen i took them in, ful of fleas, worms etc but with a lot of work there both in ful health now fluffy was given 2 me at about 3 1/2 weeks old the lady said her partner was going to drown the litter so i had no choice but to take her, i fed her on warm milk and weetabix and slowly got her on kitten food she pulled through and is now nearly 3 yrs a lovely long haired tabby unusual colours shes brown orange/red [think she mabye a maine coon cross] and stella also skin and bones so u can emagin how shocked i was wen 8 days later she gave birth 2 6 kittens all ful of ringworm that was very hard 2 claer up sadly 1 died but other 5 made a fast recovery and all went to good homes i dont understand how ppl can treat animals in such away
anyway thanks again im going to do last bit of decorating before i drop signlol

sarah
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

Anytime Sarah : )
Good luck with finding voluntary work!
Sounds like you did a great job with your poor kittys!! I don't know how people do it either!! I worked for Battersea dogs home at their kennels in windsor for a year (where I did my nvq2 in small animal care) and I saw some awful cases as I am sure you can imagine.
Have fun decorating! x <v>

Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

hi orange

how r u? ive finaly finished decorating and now we have made a start on the hall stairs and landing i checked my cockatiel nestbox last night and they have 1 egg <v> i cant wait for her to lay more im really looking foward 2 seeing what they look like i have removed the kakarikis nestbox for now until they no each other a bit better have you got ur kakariki yet or is it saturday ur getting her?

sarah x
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

Hi Sarah,
I'm good thanks, how r u?
Bet you're glad about finishing the decorating!!! Oh just read that you are doing more!! hehe...its never ending when you start it ay?!!
Wow..you'll have to put piccys on of the little tiel bubbas when they arrive!! How exciting!! How long have you had your tiels?

I don't have her yet...it is saturday! I have spent this week preparing for her, setting up her cage and buying all the things she'll need! I am looking forward to it so much! Jonny kindly sent me quite a few pictures of her and a little video too and I keep taking a look hoping that a name will come to me, one hasn't yet! : (
She had to have her toe amputated last week and is doing really well on it, Jonny says she hardly even noticed!! Poor little thing!!
I will let you know how she settles in!

How are your kaks doing?
Orange x

Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

hi orange

im fine thanks, the tiels r fine nala [the hen] looks tired she is due to lay another egg tonight i got them in december, in january she laid 3 eggs and she sat on them 4 about 2 weeks and then left the nest, they were all fertile so i dont no y she left them i got a heat mat and stat to keep them warm but sadly they naver hatched, im just hoping the same thing dosent happen again fingers crossed, how do you put pictures on? how come ur kak had her toe amputated? thats ashame but its good shes coping so well, my kaks r fine there getting on a bit better now ive removed the nest box speak 2 u soon

sarahxx
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Hey : )

Poor Nala! I hope they hatch this time!! : ) To put photos on all you need to do is go to photobucket.com and create a free account, you can easily put your pics on here and manage them, organise them into album etc and then just post a link here...peasy s05 Take a look its quite self explanatory from what I can remember. I will be using it to put some of mine in the next couple of days!

She had to have her toe amputated because she got a nesting fibre caught round the base of it which cut of the blood supply to it....bless her!
Off to get her in the morning yay! I wanted to ask...I didnt have a chance to go and get a carry box thingy coz my fiance had to work late and he had the car so do you think a cardboard box would be ok to bring her home in?? I will probably take two just in case she chews through it or anything. She'll prolly only be in it for about 25 mins max for the journey home. What do you reckon will it be alright or should I go out early and get a proper plastic one in the morning?

Orange x

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Shoe box with holes in each end. is big enough for 4 Kakariki for a few hrs
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Hi orange,
how exiting you get your girl toady!!!!!! I have been away for a week and it looks like I have missed alot LOL......a box will be perfectly fine for her in fact i think better as she wont be able to see there fore lessening her stress.........as for floor material i use news paper.... its cheap and easy.....kakarikis can make ALOT of mess (well mine do) and this is easy to replace ev 2nd day......I did trial sand for a little while it was not a good idea in the house...........but underneth my play tree i have scratch trays with sand and bark and all sorts od stuff and they love playing in them.....hope i have been helpful and look forward to seeing pics of your girl Laughing #####kellie
sarah87
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

hi

a small box should be fine [thats what they give u in pet shops 2 transport small birds/animals home in] ive just been on photobucket and sent a few pics to here so they should be on soon good luck 4 tommorow!!

sarahxx
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Steps : )
Hi Ksue, I know...I have been a bit eager and done lots of posting!!! Trying to find out as much as poss hehe I am very excited!! Thanks for your advice : )

Hi Sarah,
Thanks : ) looking forward to seeing your pics and you can be sure that it wont be long before I get some on too!! hehe!

Have a great weekend Laughing
Orange x

(Dawn)

Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:

hi orange

how r u doin? did u get ur baby yet? if so is she settleing in ok? have u thourght of a name yet? good news! nala had another egg this morning im so exited signlol cant wait 2 c wot the chicks will turn out like have you got any ideas? cinnimon hen and lutino cock will they be pied? anyway let me no how u get on with ur kak

sarahxx
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:

Hi Sarah,

She is here!!!! I am slightly concerned about her though actually because I know that they do the sitting quietly bit in the cage for a while because its all new and everything but I picked her up at 12 and since I got her home she hasn't had anything to drink and its now 5.20 !
She hasn't done much investigating of the cage yet so I put extra bowls of water in there so that she doesn't have to go far to have some but she still hasn't had any! I realise that she just left her parents and everything she knows so I guess that she just needs time to settle down but I can't help but worry that she'll dehydrate!

I decided in the end to call her Puku (just Puku not short for puku nui !)...it just seemed to suit her! I know it means tummy which makes it a bit odd but its such a sweet sounding word and distinctive from both my dogs names, so there it is....Puku has arrived!! : ) Pronounced like cuckoo remember!! hehe
She is so lovely, absolutely beautiful! I hope she'll be happy here!
She has heard one of the dogs bark once already and she didn't seem phased by it at all! They were all eager to sniff her and introduce themselves for about the first half an hour, until the novelty wore off and they were distracted by some turkey!!! signlol crazy dogs!!

Fantastic news about the egg...so how many does that make that?
I am sorry I haven't got a clue how the bubbas will turn out...there is bound to be a link around here somewhere telling you what the babies could be! You must be so excited!
I saw Jonnys babies at his place when I went to get Puku, they were tiny and covered in grey fluff......sooo cute!!

Pictures of Puku to follow!!!

Orange x

Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:

hi orange

thats great i wouldnt worry 2 much shes bound 2 be nervous at first shes just left mommy and daddy, been in a box, been in a car, and now in a new cage, new dogs, a new house, ppl, smells, etc just leave her for a few hours to get used 2 things try covering part of the cage up,[ive heard that calms down nervous birds]i dont think she would dehydrate that quick if shes got food and water close to her wen shes hungry or thirsdy she will get it you could try talking softly 2 her [that helped my birds wen i 1st got them] just give her a few days and she should be fine

yes im very exited about tiels they have 2 eggs now they lay every 48 hours until the clutch is complete so she should have another 1 sun night/mon morning if all goes well she will sit on them 4 18-21 days then they should hatch out fingers crossed

sarah
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hi again Laughing

Well, after a long day for Puku she is now fast asleep on her perch, looking very cute too!
Not long after I posted my last message she perked up a lot and was chattering away a lot of the evening! She is still not too sure of the dogs and so hasn't quite made it down to the very bottom of the cage yet and has just stuck to the top three quarters of her cage. We took the dogs out for a long walk so that she could have some time without them bussling around her, even though they have been very good and just sniffed a bit which is normal for them to do when something new has come into their house!
Whilst we were out she came down and had a scratch around in her scratching tray (cat litter tray filled with interesting stuff) because there were bits of it on the floor when I got home!
She had a good long drink too which I was relieved about. Basically, we had a great first day! Keeping an eye on her toe stump though because it is quite swollen still, poor girly.

Do you cover your cages? I wasn't planning on it but she fell asleep about an hour and a half ago and I obviously am still up and I thought the light was bothering her so I have covered the side of the cage that the light is on and she settled right down tucking her little head into her wing bit, just wondering if I should cover the whole thing??
I am planning on leaving my lava lamp (hehe) on after I have turned out the light as it glows orange and is quite dull but at least she will have some light to be able to see if she moves around in the night, seeing as the cage is so big and new to her aswell.

signlol check me out waffling again!!! Sorry...I'll hold it in!! :-&

Orange x

Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

hi

im so glad puka ok now, in a few days it will be like shes been there all her life signlol, [birds seem to settle in really well and quickly] and yes i cover my cages birds requre about 12 hours sleep a night so i cover them up wen i go to bed and uncover them wen i get up i use a cotton sheet, dont use wool, fleece or anything like that as if they climb up/down the bars they may get there nails caught and cause a bit of a fright or even hurt themself all mine fine i tried kaks with some strawberries last night for the 1st time and they loved them mabye u could try puka with some

sarah x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: