Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - i just took my kak to the vet.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

i just took my kak to the vet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: i just took my kak to the vet.

iv just come back from the vet with my kak as i thought he had mites and really dry skin the vet said they dont really know what it is he has but she gave him a injection of panomec 50ml and i have to go back every week for a top up and if that doesnt work ten she said she would send off some skin scrapings does anyone know what panomec does and whats it is used for mites,parasites?i thought the trip was going to be very expenssive but it wasnt only 20 pounds.
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

Panomec is a brand name for the drug IVERMECTIN. It is an anthelmintic (anti-parasite) drug used to treat mites and the like on all sorts of animals....it is a very effective treatment and can be used for most types of mites including mange!!! It kills the parasite and their eggs and also can be used to treat infections caused by certain types of parasite. Basically if your bird has mites this will treat them!

Hope this helps

Orange : )

Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Hi Kristina

If your bird really has mites you gonna see an improvement within a week. Panomec is indeed a brand name for Ivermectin.
Personally I prefer a pour-on because you can treat it all alone and it is less stressfull.

Peter
kristina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

thank you i would like to do it myself but the vet said she wants to keep an eye on him thanks for you help i will let you know how he does
kristina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

oh and is there anything else i can do to help him get better like add something to his bath to help on his skin? or anything
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

I think make sure you scrub & sterilise the cage especially the perches. Also just give plenty of fruits & vegetables in the diet.
kristina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: my boy is doing well

my boy is doing fine hie feathers are coming back a totaly different colour bright yellow were he is dark green and only 6 days after his jab but im taking him back to the vet tomoz for a check up.oh and he is soon to be a dad.
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Congrats on the babies ....fingers crossed they all do ok : )
And great to hear he is doing better hooray!!! <v> signlol

Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kristina,

I am happy to hear your bird is doing well. But keep in mind that mites are verry contagious and that the female (and possible other birds) also carry them. Since she is sitting on eggs now it is difficult to treat her.
So, my advice is to continue with the treatment of the male. When the chicks are grown up, treat them all.

I have found that in case of Kakarikis, mites are never far away and the only way to fight them is with Ivermectin. I recommend every Kakariki enthusiast (at least in Europe) to purchase a pour-on in his first aid kit.

Peter
kristina
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

hello sorry havent replied for ages but just thought i should up date every one on how the new dad is doing he has been to the vets 3 times now had 3 injections but he has all his feathers back and he has changed colour he is more lively, singing jumping chasing chickens humping cockatiels and anything else that will let him get that close he so cute he is even being more friendly towards me probaly becouse he is felling better.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

We mist spray flights and birds everoccassionaly (about a month) with a sol'n of 50/50 vinigar and water...I dont know for sure or if it actualy works to maintain worms/mites etc....but we dont have to worm or have a mite problem.
I a new bird comes in, it is isolated fore a couple weeks wormed/sprayed for mites etc. When introduce to other birds, the vinigar spray is carried out weekly for a couple weeks.
We also add cider vinagar once or twice a week to a veggie feed.

I also have a cap of the cidar vinigar at the same time...I cant remember the last time I was sick, or even had a cold....Im a smoker, in my 50s, not exactly fit, the odds of this happeing are stacked big time against me.
Its an old remedy from a few generations ago...
I cant say for sure if the cidar vinager is the reason, but it certainly doesnt do any harm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: