Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Wows of Bird Keeping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Wows of Bird Keeping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Wows of Bird Keeping

Breeding season.... Laughing
Population explosion.... d'oh!
kikes just laid for the 3rd time since Oct 1st. Dancing
WHERE to put them!!! duno Think
Sol'n ...another flight, or extend an existing one. Shocked
We decided to extend, and already planing the next extension, after all theres a couple sheets of ply, 3/4 of a 30m roll of netting left over and cant have that laying around , can we? Rolling Eyes

Does it EVER end d'oh!

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Spent most of my leave putting up more avairies much to my wife's disgust (running out of garden). Have some new conures to add to my collection.

At least we can sell excess kakarikis here, we have about twenty babies in the nest at the moment and definitely will not be able to keep them all. If I was in NZ, I'd be tempted to build an aviary with a little hole in it so that some of my youngsters could fly free.

Have to work hard this year and make money so that I can buy the house next door, more space for aviaries.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

I didnt post that we have been away for the last week (security etc) camping at Goat Island Marine park...Had great weather, and very lazy time.
It good now cause the children we can have look after the birds while we are away
Allen , u would not be the 1st member here to buy the neigbour property to expand gardens and room for new flights. (not us, we are lucky enough to have 1500 sq m in the middle of city.)
Just releasing birds here is not a good idea. NZ being so isolated is a bit like when early settlers moved in, bringing with them new deases and indiginous populations with no natural resistance, die off, althu to us they are not fatal. Plus being native, assured good blood lines.
Althu, with the info on mutations, many of u off shore guys are a sharing, this seems to becoming less and less of and issue.
While up at leigh wharf, (a small fishing village, not far from where we where camping) got chatting to a fishing boat skipper, hes offered to take myself and my son (17)out on one of their trips...2 or 3 days. We would just be gofforing, making the coffee etc...so if time comes up over next few weeks I think we will go....no touristy thing, the real thing.
For 3 afternoons big whales where schooling fish, just offshore and could watch from the tent.
I can see Allen thinking about emergrating signlol.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I like it the best when the babies just fledge the nest and the aviary is full of cheeky kakariki its all action! thats the best time!
Unfortunatley my female kakariki passed away this spring, she was able to raise one clutch before she passed, i think my male was not doing his duty as he should have so he is going to retire for now.
Going to buy a car this weekend so i am very stressed!
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

What do you need a car for on an island? Can't you just walk from the one side to the other? LOL. Never could understand why people buy cars in the UK either, no parking and lots of traffic jams at least there should be less traffic jams in NZ.

Thought of emigrating to NZ a few years ago but decided to put my faith in the new South Africa. Too cold in NZ anyway. I see it is max 17 degrees C in Auckland today, it is 28 here and we are hoping for a little rain later on in the week.

I had a view for four years from my office window of whales playing in the bay at Hermanus. The town is known for the best shore based whale watching in the world. The water is deep right up to the edge of the land and the whales come to within 20 metres of the shore. There are usually 6 -8 whales in the bay everyday from June through to December. I still work in that town twice a month.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Conor...Sry to hear about your Female m8...I have cuople nice females from 1st clutch of the season, and another couple in the nest, neck yellow spot nearly covered and they are climbing the ladder in the box, should be out in couple days if not tomorrow...
U cover transport, we will sort the best one, send down...they will be ready nest season to breed. Just need your permit # email or PM it if interested.
Or give your new car a blast to JAFA land, u can have her.
Quote:
I like it the best when the babies just fledge the nest and the aviary is full of cheeky kakariki its all action! thats the best time!

So do I, espec when theres a flock in a flight, a maginifient site, they all look out for each other, great comunity birds. So long as there is no nesting box signlol.
Quote:
Thought of emigrating to NZ a few years ago but decided to put my faith in the new South Africa. Too cold in NZ anyway. I see it is max 17 degrees C in Auckland today, it is 28 here and we are hoping for a little rain later on in the week.

u have been playing with the weather block , havnt u signlol . The Auckland station is not far from us...we had 23 deg today althu our summer upto a couple weeks ago was far the worst I can rem in the last 50 odd yrs. But generally its not bad nth of the Bombay hills. (Conor will have something to say about that thu signlol)

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject:

It is great to have a whole bunch of kakarikis in one large aviary. We used to have five females all together in a walk in avairy (only 2m by 2m though) and it was great to sit in there and interact with the birds.

I want to try and bulid a large aviary later in the year about 6m by 3m and try and keep 3 or 4 pairs in there. I have seen a design for breeding African Greys on a colony basis. Basic design is a rectangular walk in aviary with suspended welded mesh extensions one metre apart and about one cubic metre in size each with own nest boxes and feeding stations and visibly separated from the other breeding areas. The idea is to put young pairs in just after they have fledged and hope that they sort out a hieracy before they mature.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping more than one pair in an aviary?
C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

NORTH OF THE BOMBAY HILLS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!!
I am sorry but i will have to disagree with you on that one!
I personally like the BOP or napier/hastings!
Auckland i find a little too big for me, but then i hate wellington!
New Zealand is not so small that i can walk form one side to the other, well i could if i really wanted, i just really wanted a car so i can go anywhere when i want too, i wont have to bus to work and i like to go into our bush and enjoy the wildlife (or whats left of it)
Apocrypha
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

I like Otago. Dunno why?
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe, how about a map of New Zealand? I must say NZ looked pretty spacious in the movie Lord of the Rings, didn't see too many roads though, Laughing

We have game reserves here larger than Israel i.e. 300 - 400 km long by 100 -150 km wide.

How to you get from North island to South island, are they connected or do you have to swim? duno

Over here, a car is virtually essential as the public transport is either non-existant, unreliable, over crowded or sometimes even down right dangerous. There are masses of informal microbus taxis that are in varying states of roadworthy and the responsibilty of the drivers varies dramatically. When you drive behind a taxi, expect it to stop or turn without warning at anytime.

I'd also buy a car even if I only had a few kms of road to drive it on, its far easier to transport birds, seed, fruit, cages etc in a car than on a bus. My next purchase will probably be a double cab "bakkie", very popular here, has four seats in front and has a flat truck part at the back usually with a canopy, you can load upto a ton in the back.
C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

Traffic is not that bad here, only on the main roads into citys you are going to strike a jam, i guess it is nothing next to sth africa!
Those game reserves must be MASSIVE!
oh also i felt the earthquake thismorning :P it was a 5.5 i believe very exciting
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

Allen wrote:
Steptoe, how about a map of New Zealand? I must say NZ looked pretty spacious in the movie Lord of the Rings, didn't see too many roads though, Laughing

Bloody Sth Africans!!! wall
we have strips of tarseal running thru the green countryside that we call roads and highways...not dirt and dust tracks thru more brown dirt and dust signlol...thats why u didnt reconise them :P
Quote:

We have game reserves here larger than Israel i.e. 300 - 400 km long by 100 -150 km wide.

Cool...so if we put all the Israeles and Palitinians there, they will be heaps of room and solve the middle east feasco? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

How to you get from North island to South island, are they connected or do you have to swim? duno

No bit to far to swim althu some do...we have at these little row boats lined up along the coast..... wall
Quote:

Over here, a car is virtually essential as the public transport is either non-existant, unreliable, over crowded or sometimes even down right dangerous. There are masses of informal microbus taxis that are in varying states of roadworthy and the responsibilty of the drivers varies dramatically. When you drive behind a taxi, expect it to stop or turn without warning at anytime.

Hmmm our vechiles have 6 monthly safety inspections, from mechanical, noise, very minor rust within 50mm of door hinge or structual join etc. And even on world stds the Kiwi driver rates rather high over the last few yrs.
Its just the Sth African tourist we have to watch out for d'oh!
Quote:

I'd also buy a car even if I only had a few kms of road to drive it on, its far easier to transport birds, seed, fruit, cages etc in a car than on a bus. My next purchase will probably be a double cab "bakkie", very popular here, has four seats in front and has a flat truck part at the back usually with a canopy, you can load upto a ton in the back.

Most household have at least 2 vechiles..We have the wife's toyota corolla, my 69 Z8 Camaro running 115 octane fuel and bit over 400hp(use everyday, owned 4 25 yrs) a 47 Bradford van Im 1/3 way thru a ground up restoration, Daughters little hatchback she uses for varsity, work, holidaying, etc etc.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Can we change the thread to "Wows of teasing a kiwi." ?

Fortunately I erased the bit I was going to say about Otago and Jeff Wilson otherwise I would have had another angry kiwi Laughing

Rugby season might get interesting?

We have lots of space for the Palestinians and Israelis and its pretty dry too so they will be quite at home. But I would rather send them to Aussie land, they have more desert than us and less people too. The Israelis used to hang out with our old government in the eighties testing weapons together in all sorts of obscure places around the country.

We have lots of nice tarred roads here, Johannesburg to Cape Town is 1400 kms, my best time in a 1600 in my youth including two stops for petrol was 9 hours 15 mins. Times came down about 15 years ago when the Du Toits kloof tunnel was finished. Two lane highway for 26 km straight through a mountain saves about 45 mins of driving over the pass.

Frequent speed trapping is a relatively new concept here so you could have made use of your 400 BHP here. Where do you get to enjoy a car like that?

Used to drive cars for pocket money when I finished school, friends brother organised the job. Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is 760kms, 5 and half hours in a BMW 325i and Cape Town to Johannesburg 8 hours in BMW 740i. The roads are not bad here. Unless you live out in the desert.

I never said SA drivers are good or safe drivers but hell this country is interesting. Most of the softies left for safer pastures, the strong stayed.

Saw the most boring reality program on Reality channel (yes we have TV in Africa - 100 Satelite channels). It was about the police in a NZ town. Highlight of the night was a suspected break in and a drunk vagrant. The vagrant was innocent, it was the cat that caused the fuss.

Have a great week-end. Drive safe.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Conor, if u make it up this weekend, grab a transport box for a female to take back.
Contact details in PM.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

Hey steptoe!
I am leaving this afternoon for auckland, we muck around friday, saturday is the show and shine sunday the drag racing and monday it is back to wellington Crying or Very sad back to work Crying or Very sad BACK TO SOUTHERLEY GALES Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Anyway i can bring a cage up, i will ring you some time to organise everything, i wont have acess to email up there so we will have to make do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: