Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Sick bird
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Sick bird
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Sick bird

Got a bird looking real bad....has a sort of fluid filled sack on it's stomach just above the vent; sloppy about the size of a marble but sees to go up further; sounds horrible and looks just as bad. Bird was sitting for 3 weeks on infertile eggs.... but no more and can't fly and has wings and tail down, shaking.
Appears terminal, bugger! WTF is going on?, what have I done wrong?....any clues. Ta
Carol
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Crying or Very sad sorry that sounds bad, unfortunatly these kind of things happen,don't blame yourself.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

U need to get to a vet.
Can u post a pic?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

oh no! sounds scary! Shocked How is she today? Have you got her to a vet?
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Unwell bird

I certainly hope that your hen recovers. I agree with the others. The faster you can get her to the vet, the more chance she has.
I'll add her to our prayers.
Wolf
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

She's still going!...she spent the last couple of nights inside, in a beer box by the fire; put her back with the others by day, she was sort of feeding herself plus some from her mate who had been feeding her for weeks.
Just flaps around on the ground, but today managed to climb up to the perches and had a bit of a fly, this evening she avoided the usual round-up and had made it into one of the nestboxes!...so left her in there for the night.

The flying is "only just" and seems unable to take-off from the ground, can't stand up properly, the giant "blister" is still there?. She has an aluminium ring on her leg....which would have been tucked-up with close skin contact, on the eggs for weeks?.
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm way out in the sticks here with over an hour to the nearest country vet, really didn't think she'd make it the first night!....real tough birds.
Have an appointment tomorrow and will head in if she's looking well enough to handle it; use the opportunity to get a hand to take off the ring and maybe get a photo.

Thanks for your thoughts, must be something not that common... something a bit wierd?...if not seen before. Had a bit of a look on the net, still no wiser.

STBLR
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, must be something not that common... something a bit wierd?...if not seen before. Had a bit of a look on the net, still no wiser.

Birds get sick, with the usaul bird illness....worms egg bound mites etc
Then there are the problems cused by inbreeding
And stuff the mutation breeders expriance overseas.

We have those things to

And like birds, sometimes we scatch ourselves and end up in hospital with a head the size of a soccor ball, and weird stuff like that.
Quote:
I'm way out in the sticks here

Im not advising this.
If one of our cats/birds, pets gets an infection...bad tooth...I dig out a couple antibotics from the cabinet, read the doesage, assume its for about a 75kg Adualt. I then take that dosage and divide it up with a razor blade proportional for the pet. Yes a bird is pretty small LoL
I then give them a 2x dose, twice as per the bottle label, and continue treatment as per the bottle.
If there is no inprovement within 12 hrs (there usually is ) I take them to the vet.
Steps.

How many have u got? Few pics? and of the avaries?

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

Hi Stumbler,

There is one point worth considering. Your original post indicates the hen has been in the nest box for a considerable amount of time. What type of nesting material do you use. The reason for asking is that I am wondering whether the material has caused the problem. As hens sit on the eggs they quite often rub the feathers from the chest area which exposes very delicate skin. If the material contains bacteria or some type of insect infestation this would result in the skin becoming infected and often leads to ulcerations. If you do go to the vet with the bird I suggest you perhaps take some of the nesting material along as well in case the vet can check the material under a microscope. If you decide not to use the vet option I would recommend trying an antiseptic cream on the wound area. It may be too late for this now and the best form of medication would be a course of antibiotics via needle which the vest should be able to do. The lack of flying is probably due to the inflamation of the chest area. If this can be fixed hopefully the bird will be able to fly again.

For info I dont think the leg ring as caused any problems as the birds usually tuck their legs out to the side when sitting on eggs. The only other cause I can think of at this stage is that she may have ruptured an internal organ or suffered muscle damage whilst laying the eggs.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi, I am not an expert either- but I have read your post and I couldn't help to let you know what I think too- Sad
The area you described (above the vent) is the area of the bursa- it is a small gland like organ that is really important in the birds immune system. It is really used when they are very little. However in saying that ,they still have a bursa when they are adults and it can hold some fluids.see this http://www.wingwise.com/immune.htm . I wouldn't hesitate getting some antibiotics into this bird of yours.
I would listen to Kaka-riki and get her to the vet...
good luck, K
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Been to the vet....some sort of Ascites aka "water belly", though still no wiser really. Could have been caused by pressure/restriction (vets pick), but apparently could be a liver/heart/lung thing?; and I found reference(poultry) to cold conditions at nesting time can cause a sort of vascular hypertension (in line with vets pick)resulting in Ascites; There is a yolk business but she had stopped laying 3 weeks earlier.
Anyway, she got a jab of anti-biotics, the swelling had gone down heaps but there is an excess of loose so very thin skin, she made it back into the nestbox tonight, probably avoiding getting rounded up and in the box!.

Think the nesting material is fine?....but will renew; other hen did a couple weeks on same material, all fine.

It's real cold here....some of the snow hasn't melted since a big fall 3 weeks ago!!!!????. Thanks all for the input. Will inform on how it goes.
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Good for you that the vet was able to help. could you give the reference to 'water belly' ? thanks K
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Hi My Gully...I think just to google "ascities waterbelly" will give you some results, mostly about poultry though. Ascites is really just a result of potentially many problems/causes, but if it was one of the more major complaints....she wouldn't still be alive...so still not sure what was going on?.

She can now get around pretty good, even starting to look a bit clucky again!; she has her tail feathers splayed out on landing and a bit wobbly on her feet but a vast improvement. The other hen is also behaving a bit broody!.

The male one was seen doing the "wild thing" with the other hen....not much "in sickness and in health" in the parakeet world! Changed the nesting material, can't seem to stop them laying etc. Don't want to shut-off their nest boxes as they need to get in there to keep warm.

What's the best way to discourage breeding till a more appropriate time of the year?, take the eggs off them as they lay or wait till stop laying then take them away?, or?? Cheers STBLR
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi, the best way is to take their boxes off of them. but If they go in to keep warm then I wouldn't. In some parrot's it is bad to take the eggs off of them, it sets off hormonal problems- long story. I just don't know about budgies sorry.
Carol
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi Stumbler
I have heard to leave aleast one eggs in the box this may stop them laying, I realy pleased your girl is doing well, great job.
Carol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: