Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Illness
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Illness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aixa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Illness

Hi there!

My Kakariki is loosing his feathers from the head.
Well, actualy he is loosing feathers from all the body.

Someone from that web site recommend me to start as a member from that web site to find a solution.
It is possible to be a diet problem...

Do someone knows anything about that??

Aixa
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

Hi Aixa,

Welcome to our community. Probably your bird has a mite infection. Ask your vet for Ivermectin droplets. This is the best product available against parasites. I use this twice a year and never experience a bald bird.
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi, there are several things that can cause feather loss. Is there a chance you can take a picture? I work with the behavioural side of it that occurs with abuse, neglect, and lack of attention that can cause behavioral problems such as screaming, biting, and feather mutilation. You didn't say if you had the vet check first if it was medical. First you need to have him checked for parasites, or illness, then you can work with the behaviour.

this is a good place to find help though so if you can take a picture I am sure you can get some idea what you need to do. cheers, Kathy
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:

Behavioural loss of feathers oin kakarki is very rare...I have never heard or seen behaviotal loss in kakariki...I think in main is due to their unqueness in charactor.
I have seen feather loss on resuced kakariki, this has been extreme and due to enviromental/dietry issues.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

are you sure he is not just moulting.......I know my male went through a very heavy moult last year and lost all of his tail feathers at the one time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: