Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Aloe vera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Aloe vera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Aloe vera

Hi, I have tried a search and it came up with nothing so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to put aloe vera (the stuff inside the leaf) on kaks feet?
I ask this because I have had a disaster... my brand new kak landed in my fresh hot cup of tea and scalded his feet. It doesn't look too bad, he was only in it for literally 2 secs and I put him in some cool water for a few minutes afterwards. He is standing on both his feet and not holding either up, however they do look a bit pink and I want to try and soothe them a bit for him... anyone know?

Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

Just for future reference for anyone else who might want to know, aloe is fine.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

Sry , was going to get back to the thread and got tied up on other stuff.
We have used Aloe, on burns cuts, rash in the past with great sucess...there are even products for birds to relieve "stress of travel"

As many may know, I was orginally a indusrial chemist, mainly in cleaners and polishes many yrs ago...We also did shampoos, and related products.
It5 was this time in the early to mid '70s that the chemical companies got onto a marketing spree with aprricot, egg, apple 'enhanced' shampoos and similar products....including aloe vera.
there are many benifits than canbe attributed to it, and other members of the aloe family...aloe vera has a name that has a good sound/ring to it for marketing purposes.
Aloe arborescens doesnt sound good for marketing, but is superior in its properties.
The aloe vera name/species is so intrenched in the marketing of products now the other more superior speices are ignored.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe - that is great info - thankyou! I would rather treat my birds naturally, so to hear stuff like that is great! Now, if you wanted to do a post on natural remedies, or your preferred way, well, I'd be very happy Applause
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Im not a great fan of chemicals, and also not a great fan of "natual" remideies..
The these are usually simply suplliments to a poor unbalanced diet and conditions...sort of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted...add to that, most of the natural remedies are no more than extreacting chemicals from natural ingrediants....
Often these are the same chemical that the pharmicical companies produce anyway....hey water is water, be it distilled out of a stream, or condensed from burning hydrcarbons or hydrogen.
Classic example is natural remedy for pain...from the inner bark of the willow tree...in there is a chemical commonly known as asprin...commerial synthetic production of asprin is far cheaper, and the demand would make willow an endangered species if they contued to extract this way.

The only 'natural' suppliment we use is vinegar run a forum word search for more info.
And calicuim/mineral suppliments
As the birds are not in a natural enviroment they dont have access to everything they need in there diet, even thu we feed a great variety of fresh veggies and fruit.

Of greater concern, not just for our birds and pets, but us to, is the additional chemicals the big companies spend huge amounts of money on convincing us we NEED them in our homes...spray cleaners/polishes we breath in when cleaning the shower....teflon, food preservitives. Take these away and our children will be lucky to have 1 day off school a yr, and most of their allergies will disappear. Not cause the chemicals cause the allergies etc, but because they make us more suspetable to them.
Hey we evolved in grass huts and dirt floors for millions of yrs...mites alsorts of stuff around...now we are told to elimate them to sort the problem out, when they are not the problem....there is a lot of profit for chemical companies in being able to make us actually believe there propaganda (marketing)

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject:

My yellow crowns in an aviary have their own access to a growing aloe vera plant. I haven't yet seen them eat the leaves but they do eat the flowers.
They also love playing in it! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: