Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New Eggs - Viable or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New Eggs - Viable or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: New Eggs - Viable or not?

Got five eggs now in the space of a week. Have checked them (as per instruction) as weren't sure about them since our male has only been in the cage with our female for about a week and a half. Two of the eggs are very clear with a yellowy patch (I assume these are the newer eggs laid) A third one is not so clear but still with a yellow patch. The fourth is darker and the last very dark indeed.
Does it look more hopeful that our eggs are indeed viable and that we may surely have some chicks on the way?
As per usual all and any advice and suggestions are .
annie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject:

HI,
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE BUT A MEMBER OF ANOTHER BIRD SITE, I THOUGHT I MAY BE ABLE TO GET SOME ADVICE ON MY KAKARIKIS AS THIS SITE IS PURELY KAKARIKIS.
I HAVE A PAIR IN THE HOUSE THAT LIVE IN A LARGE CAGE WITH NEST BOX, OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS I HAVE THREE EGGS WHICH I AM CHUFFED TO BITS ABOUT, COULD SOMEONE TELL ME THE INCUBATION PERIOD FOR THESE EGGS? ALSO THESE PAIR HAVE LOST ALOT OF THEIR FEATHERS QUITE SUDDENLY I SPOKE TO A MAN AT AN AVAIRIES WHO TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS A VERY BAD MOULT AS APPARANTLY THESE CAN SUFFER FROM I HAD SPRAYED THEM WITH ANTI-MITE SPRAY BUT THEY ARE STILL LOSING FEATHERS ANY ADVICE?
WE BOUGHT TWO PAIRS OF KAKIS THE OTHER DAY WHICH WERE LIVING IN A SMALL CAGE TOGETHER, THEY ARE FRIENDLY WITH EACH OTHER BUT NOW THEY HAVE THEIR OWN AVAIRY CAN I PLACE NEST BOXES IN WITH THEM OR WILL THEY GET AGGRESSIVE WHEN BREEDING?
IF ANY ONE CAN ANSWER ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL
ANNIE
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Dusty, sounds like your hen is now sitting and laying at the same time, perfectly normal. sounds promising that you have some fertile eggs. you now need to let the hen sit for approx. 7 to 10 days and then recheck the eggs any dark eggs at that stage should be fertile.
wyndara
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Annie, the incubation period is approx 21days for kaks depending on how tightly the hen sits. feather loss can be a lot of things but i would suggest you check the nest box to see if the feathers have been placed in there. You should be fine to add a nest box with the other pair ,i would add 2 boxes so that if the hen picks one to lay in the cock will be able to sleep in the other. agression should not be a problem but as always just keep a close eye on them for the first couple of days. usually when a box is added lots of excitment and noise happens but not aggression.
annie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

HI WYNDARA,
THANKS FOR REPLYING SO QUICK YOUR ADVICE HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL AND I WILL CERTAINLY TAKE IT ON BOARD CHEERS MATE!
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Dusty, how have the eggs gone? Did any hatch?
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Quick update... Despite checking eggs and noticing some colour changes, there has been no sign of hatching. Sad
I honestly can't work out how long they've been there for and have been thinking that none are viable and that this time round we are unlucky.
Any ideas?
Should I remove the eggs or leave a bit longer? duno
If I do remove the eggs, should I remove the nesting box too? Think

As usual any input is appreciated.
JohnV
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
I think your best bet is to leave them be for a while, incubation can be as long as 29 - 30days.

John
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the info. I was curious as to whether to leave them a little longer. I was thinking that the end of August would be more than long enough but wasn't sure if leaving non viable eggs in there would be good for the parents. duno
There are definately 3 eggs with a colour change and the other 2 still seem very clear. Should I remove the clear ones or leave them with the others? Think

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:

Hi Dusty,
I think I'd give it until next weekend and if nothing by then remove them, it sounds likely they are no good though, is she still sitting on them ?
It may be worth investing in a stethiscope....signlol

John
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

Oooh, that was a quick response, cheers.
She still sits on them without a problem. She only comes out to be fed and have a bath.
Its just so frustrating not knowing wall I'd hate to remove or destroy any eggs that are potential. Not sure a stethescope would do me much good as I doubt I'd get the listening part right!!

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

Run a word search (quick seach block to the left) for candling and or infertile
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi Dusty,

We have been carrying out a couple of tests in regard to Kakariki eggs. It would appear that the eggs are fine and will still hatch even if they have been "stored" for some time. Basically that means that if the eggs have been hatched and NOT incubated by the hen for a week or so they will still be viable once the hen begins the incubation process. It is only IF the incubation process is broken that the eggs will die.

We have a pair of birds that tend to lay eggs from end of the aviary to the other. Even the water bowl was used one morning. To fix the problem we collected all the eggs and removed them. Every day I found an egg I removed it from the aviary and instead placed a "plastic" egg in the nest box. After six eggs the hen started to sit properly. We watched her for 5 days to make certain she was sitting correctly and then swapped the plastic eggs for the real ones. This extended the incubation process to 35 days BUT all but one of the eggs hatched.

For those breeders wanting to be certain of the eggs there is a product available called the egg buddy. This device has a small chamber into which the egg is placed. The heart rate of the chick can be seen on a small graph. By using this machine we know exactly when the eggs are due to hatch as the heart rate goes up rapidly whilst the chick is trying to break through the shell. It is expensive but has paid for itself in the short time we have had it.
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

our hen has spent a little more time in the nesting box since i last came on site. the cock is now feeding her more at the entrance to the nesting box. this being our fisrt experience with Kakarikis and eggs I've never been totally sure i'm doing everything right though i must thank all who have already given us advice.
We have done searches on candling and infertile eggs and done everything suggested. There are 3 eggs with a definate colour change and 2 that are clear white with yellow yolk patch. Birdy began laying within 2 days of us joining the site and since Tweet was only introduced to her about 24hrs before that, we were unsure if any of the eggs would be viable at all but decided to give them a chance.
We have increased the parents diets though i have wondered whether the food situation could have an effect on the hatching process duno
I'd like to give them chance to hatch if they are viable so we'd decided to wait till the end of august before removing any eggs or the nesting box.
Are we doing right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: