Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - vraagje
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

vraagje
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mariannenl
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: dutch laguage

always willing to help you and others Steptoe, I also speek french and german

and a big hoera, adding the attachment worked for me this time......

many greetings,
MARIANNE

nwalledriewildklengeel.jpg
 Description:
just a try, 3 different colours together.
 Filesize:  34.85 KB
 Viewed:  181 Time(s)

nwalledriewildklengeel.jpg

Mariannenl
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: pictures uploaded in my map

As you asked for I have posted 10 pictures of my "fluffies" , hope you like them, on one of them you can see the offspring of last year, 3 chicks , of which one died ( the smallest on the picture)
You can also see that I have one very tame one, she is called YELLOW and is always nearby when I am in the aviary, on your shoulders or in front of your lens when making pictures, so I have got many bloopers.

The hanging basket you see was a teddybear full of straw, but got ugly and was given to me, I fill it with plants,sallad and grass from the garden and as you can see they are fond of it, and they take out the small pieces of straw for their nests.
Once or twice a week I throw small pieces of carrot and other veggies on the ground and they love to eat it.

MARIANNE

Truudeke
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: thanks

thanks for the suport
truudeke Applause
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Once or twice a week I throw small pieces of carrot and other veggies on the ground and they love to eat it.

Approx 18 Kikes, 2 kings, couple crimisions, few burkes, small quail and a few sundry finches, go thru 2.5 to 3 kg of mixed chopped veggies(not including fruit) every 3 to 4 days, with very little wastage. Feed 2x a day in breeding season.
Especially the kikes...they eat far more veggie material than seed. Much of the veggie is native puha milk weed, thistle, nastersin, danelion, silverbeet, that is cultivated to grow wild in the gardens and free....seed gets expensive.
See another thread on veggies and feeding

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: food for kaks

Thanks for the answer I did not know that they needed that mucch veggies. and I now understand why they are so fond of the plants I added in the basked ( like shown on one of my pics)
I will give them more from now on, my mynahs and cockatiels also like it

MARIANNE

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:

To put a little balance on it...A very respected, long time , NZ breeder was telling me some months ago how they aquired a few Kikes that had very few veggies/fruit in their life time.
It took weeks for them to even start eating the veggies/friut, and months before they even got close to eating the quanities their other kikes did in the same flight...
See also thread someware re feeding meat (search button above meat )
Also in new Download section a reseach paper study on diet in the wild
http://www.kakariki.net/files/nzjecol22_2_161.pdf

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject:

my birds dont like veggies???
what can y do????
truudeke duno
Mariannenl
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:

[quote="Steptoe"]To put a little balance on it...A very respected, long time , NZ breeder was telling me some months ago how they aquired a few Kikes that had very few veggies/fruit in their life time.
It took weeks for them to even start eating the veggies/friut, and months before they even got close to eating the quanities their other kikes did in the same flight...

in het begin geleidelijk aan laten wennen Trudy, ze hebben het nodig.

translation: just by adding small pieces of for instance carrotts, etc to the food , and insist .

Marianne.

by the way Stetoe and other moderartors :
everyting is working fine now, I get your answers by email, and I dont see any strange htlml signs anymore, my compliments for that !

Truudeke
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject:

doe ik maar ze komen er gewoon niet aan ,ik steek stukjes appels peren ,sla in hun kooi of liever tussen de tralies maar helaas ze kijken er zelf niet naar wall
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject:

All my male kakarikis go absolutely crazy for chopped up carrots when they have young in the nest. They throw out everything elseuntil they find a couple of nice pieces to eat.

My staple soft diet for my birds always has chopped apple, carrots and soaked sunflower seeds. I add whatever other fruit and vegetables that I have available at the time. Soak the sunflower seeds overnight, wash them, drain off the water and then allow them to sprout a little for another 24 hours. Takes a bit longer in winter or colder climates.

I have noticed when I buy new kakarikis that some are not that interested in fruit and vegetables. After a while all my kakarikis start to eat and then learn to love their fruit and vegetables especially when breeding.

Just keep giving chopped fruit and vegetables to your kakarikis, make the pieces small enough for them to pick up and hold. They like to take a piece and fly to a nearby perch and eat.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just keep giving chopped fruit and vegetables to your kakarikis, make the pieces small enough for them to pick up and hold. They like to take a piece and fly to a nearby perch and eat.

I have experimented a little with sizes.
Large pieces get left laying around the floor.
Peas size seems the best, and amount each feed depends on who much they left over from previous feed, that way there is little wastage,
Carrot....I have pretty well given up on that, they eat very little, most is leaf material (cellery,puha, dandelion, ) and stuff like cellery, broccoli/cali/cellery/siverbeet/beetroot stems.
Amounts...
Pair=1/3 of a cup 2x a day
pair sitting with chicks =little under 1/2 cup 2x a day
5 or 6= little over 3/4 cup 2x a day
Plus always having one at a time of fresh , a whole apple or pear, plums, citrus, rose hips, figs..(depends what is on the trees at the time or in the fruit bowl on the kitchen table) These are just pressed onto 'spikes' in the flight.

(I may move some of these posts to the food thread later)

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Carrots

My birds ignored carrots for a long time and there is no way they will eat a whole carrot. Try small pieces again when they are breeding. When there are 6 or more hungry chicks in the nest, the male will eat just about anything. I have yet to natice any of my females eat carrots.

I am sure carrots must be good for birds.
Bertman
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vraagje

Truudeke wrote:
Hello, I had a question concerning the material for brood cupboard kakariki what use I for this? they go all 2 in them broods cupboard but to make simply no nest? although them already several time has paired !!!!!groetjes truudeke

I have found a translator but apparently not this way good
duno

Nee maar, een andere nederlander. Ik bern bert en woon in Australia, Woon jij in nederland?
Doei
Mariannenl
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Trudy

I am not sure what happened with Trudy, , I haven t herd from her for a very long time
She also was member of my msn site, and had a site of her own, but they are all gone.
She was from Belgium and I am from Holland, and as far as I know I am not the only member from holland here ( Henk is a breeder)

I am very sorry for not mailing so much off late, but you all know that I had a very sad season, with that dammed rat, who killed many of my birds, including very tame kaka s , and that hurts.

I now have 4 couples left and they are not yet mating/ nesting.

Marianne.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: