Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Feather Loss
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Feather Loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrs_f

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Feather Loss

Hi,

I'm a new member to the site and wondered if anybody could offer some advice with this query.

A kakariki flew into my home about 6wks ago. Despite putting up posters, nobody has contacted us to claim the bird, so it looks as if it is here to stay.

Due to this site i have become better informed on the birds dietry and welfare needs. He has a varied diet made up of fruits, seeds and nuts. He has a shower in the mornings and on very hot days will take a bath within the confines of his cage. He has regular "fly time" out of his cage and enjoys playing with some new toys.

All was well untill 2wks ago when i noticed feathers missing from around his neck. More feathers are now missing at the side of his head and this is causing me concern. I purchased a mite powder and he has been treated 3 times in all, with this product. His cage is cleaned every day along with the contents, e.g. bowls, perches, toys, bars etc. I do not think that it is red spider mites, maybe feather mites but i'm just not sure. He was scratching a lot but that seems to have subsided. Could anybody help or give advice to the possible causes PLEASE!
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:

Mites can be controlled fairly easily and it appears you may well have removed them effectively if the bird is no longer scratching. Feathers however can take quite a while longer to grow back and so it could be a while before the bald areas are feathered once more.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:

You have also take into account that birds (in Europe) are now in the middle of the big moult. BUT bald spots are not normal even in moult. Feather mites are invisible but they leave traces like moth-eaten feathers, black lines in the tail feathers.
In that case you better use a more powerfull product such as Ivermectin pour-on. It reaches these mites via the blood. This is a better approach cause feather mites hide themself in feather follicles. Besides, the product also treats other parasites such as worms. When you treat against feather mites it is better to continue the treatement during several months cause the mites leave eggs behind.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

When cleaning his cage, lightly mist spray everything and him with a 50/50 sol'n of vinegar and water.
I have nothing scientific to base vinegar is effective, other than we do not have worm or mite issues.
We also a few drops of apple cider vinegar to food every few days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: