Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Some help/advice for new owner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Some help/advice for new owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Some help/advice for new owner

Hi everyone, I joined this site (brilliant by the way) a few days ago and we've had our first Kakariki for 11 days now. I've been on regularly reading as much as I can as I want to make sure we're doing everything right but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with to put my mind at ease.

He was really shy when we got him, he'd been given back to a petshop as the owner didn't want him so had a bit of a traumatic few days with a few new environments. We didn't want to spook him so just talked gently to him and changed his food and water every few days. After about five days I sat with him and opened the cage door and out he came. He did this a few times, however one night he wouldn't go back in and feel asleep on the curtain rail. We left him out and the next morning he went back in. Since then he won't come out of his cage at all. His door has been open and we've tried all ways.

He's much livlier now and chats away to himself or the TV quite alot. He's starting to respond to us more and is learning that I put nice fruit in his dish for him. In the last few days I've spent about 10 mins putting my hand into the cage and keeping it still - he just goes to the back corner and clings on. As soon as I move it out he jumps down onto one of his perches.

Are we doing the right thing and why isn't he coming out for a fly anymore? Will he ever come out and what could we do to tempt him? Its bothering me as I feel he could have so much freedom and fun here. I've got all sorts of ideas for toys and a scratch box etc.

He's happy enough in his cage and has recently spotted himself in the mirror, which involves various funny noises and dancing.

Another thing is I have taped him on my mobile phone when he's chatting and singing to the TV - when I play this back to him he goes mad - chatting back, jumping from perch to perch and climbing all over his cage - is this winding him up and cruel? I used this to encourage him out the first few times but its stopped working now.

Any advice appreciated as I just want to make sure little Luca is happy.

Thanks.

Tracey

PS. Not entirely sure if Luca is a boy or girl. When I can get some pics I'll post them and see what you think if that's ok.
josy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject:

Maybe you could try moving his food out of the cage to encourage it to come out as kakarikis love nothing more than food. When my 2 kakarikis are out and won't go back in we get them a treat usually fruit or veg show it to them and then put it into the cage they then get curious and follow it in. maybe its worth a try. Also sometimes when they are out if its night time we turn the light off for a couple of minutes then switch it back on again and they tend to make a dash for the cage. maybe you could try this.
As for recording it on your phone and playing it back to him he will probably think their is another kakariki in the room and is responding to it
hope this helps keep us posted thumb
Tracey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks Josy,

I've just done a good clean of his cage (tho its freaked him out a bit) and cut up some fresh food. All food is now outside the cage. I've hung the tray of fresh stuff on the outside. He's looking, and I can see he's trying to figure out how to get to it, so fingers crossed. I'll let you know how we go.

Thanks again.

Tracey
Tracey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

A quick update, he finally came out for a bit of seed but that was it - no flying as I put the food near the cage planning to move it further away each time. Now he's not speaking to me at all Think

Does anyone else have any suggestions as he couldn't be more unimpressed if he tried Rolling Eyes
josy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject:

When we first got ours it was a good few weeks before they even showed signs of coming out of the cage maybe its just not sure of its enviroment just yet.
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

With each of my 3 kaks they all took a few weeks to settle in properly and to feel at home. More with my first because at the time she was an only bird. Just give him time really, they are lively and curious birds so he will come out eventually don't worry about it : )
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: home body kakas

hi guys,
no one should stress to much about kaks not wanting to come out of there cage or even one that seems like he dosnt want to go back into a cage. (unless obviously sick) why , i will tell you, ive panic before in this situation but kakas are home boddies no joke ,firstly i bought a kak from some one and put him in a indoor cage ,he didnt come out in the first few days so i shut the door for a week ,he spent that time finding every thing ,toys ,water ,food ect then he started to chat to himself ,so i knew he was comfortable and secure in his new cage and the people and other animals around him, so then i opened the door, 2 days later he came out, only for about a minute long enough to steel a pea of my plate and ran strait back to the cage to eat it ,it gradually got more and more till he felt happy and safe.after that it was his cage ,he was allowed to come into my area but he didnt like you going into his area and if you did whatever you were doing ie: moving things around he would spend most the day putting everything back the way he wanted it.
the next bird cinny my hand reared sweethart she got out of the avairy via a mouse hole (mice under control now) oh no i was so upset ,i could here her and of all the tress around she picked the tallest one to get in ,in the neighbours back yard, we had people ,cages ,nets every were ,to no avail. i accepted my fate and started drowing my sorrows with a couple of cans of jim beam ,still hearing here in the distance,cages still set up and tears running down my face. all of a sudden she was back sitting along side the avairies, going nuts because i had filled the mouse hole in and she couldnt get back in. i walked up with the net behind my back ,she must of known because she lay flat on the ground if to say hurry up put the net over me and put me back ive had enough ,wich i did with no trouble at all and i still have her today.
hows that?
debbie
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject:

signlol Debbie they can be little beggars! I recaptured one of mine with a rugby tackle that'd do the Wallabies proud!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: