Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - It has finally happened!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

It has finally happened!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: It has finally happened!!!!

Giving the birdies vegies yesterday morning & I hear a strange sound - I have never heard it before so obviously I had to investigate!

See what I found:

Mummy Bonnie:

Daddy Clyde (see mummy peeking out the nest hole?):

I raced down to announce the arrival to mum & we did the happy dance in the kitchen!
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:

Well yesterday Clyde was acting strangely - okay strange even for a kakariki - when I gave them their vegies in the morning & it continued when I gave them fruit in the afternoon.
I was giving them vegies this morning & was inside the aviary scrubbing the bath & Clyde kept whizzing around my head going mental - okay! mental even for a kakariki - after a few swoops he landed at Bonnie's nest box. The other 2 kakariki were a bit more 'jittery' than normal too.
After cleaning the bath I took down Bonnie's box & had a look. . .

I now have 2 Kakariki babies! <v> <v> <v>

Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

I can't believe how much they've grown! One has started to open it's eye's.
I am more excited with having these Kak babies than I am with all the budgies & other birds I've bred before.

C0nor
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

babies are heepzof fun eh! Laughing
Carol
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Karen thats great two babies how wonderful
Carol
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject:

Great news. Lovely pics. Good Luck with them. x Applause
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

I took these on Sunday.

Baby 1 - 23 or 24 days old:

Baby 2 - 21 or 22 days old:

Hugging Siblings:

Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Hi Karen. Are you handraising these guys because if your not you might have to as i think they have been feather plucked. They should have an even about of feathers coming through at this stage. Cheers Kev
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Karen,

Cattscapes is spot on. Your babies are being badly feather plucked by one or both of the parents. You will need to do something very quickly as that type of feather damage can be permanent. I suggest you either pull the babies and hand raise them or remove the offending parent.
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: karen

pull em quick i agree with kev and kaka-riki this is a very hard thing to fix ,i hope your babies end up with normal feathering after this deverstation. also if you pull them now the parent birds will have to stop plucking there young ,the longer you leave it the harder the habit is to break. myself i would like to see who the culprite is, as dad is the feeder of the babies,i would pull mum out and put her in a ajoining avairy so dad can still see her and let dad have a go at bringing them up all the time keeping my eye on the babies to see if it is him or her doing the plucking, if its mum problem solved but if its dad pull them and hand rear them. you have got nothing to loose,to try this, the damage is done. at least then you can get rid of the problem bird. my bet says it is the hen,thats just at a guess,this isnt the first time i have heard of this.good luck.
debbie
pray
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

I did end up pulling the babies as the parents stopped feeding them.
Unfortunately they both died the next day. Crying or Very sad I left it too late to pull them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: