Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New to breeding Kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New to breeding Kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: New to breeding Kakarikis

Hello everyone....my name is Jessie and I am in the United States. I breed other types of hookbills and this is my first venture with Kaks. I have two young pair...one pair, the male is very heave pied and the hen is Cinnamon. The other pair, both are cinnamons but the male has red eyes. (I am suspecting he is not cinna). The Cinna hen and red eyed male have produced their first clutch. 9 eggs, 8 fertile. So far I have pulled three babies to hand feed. There are two left in the box with three eggs due to hatch. (One baby was trampled not long after it hatched).
So, I am hoping I do not get attacked here like on other boards. There is not enough info on the Kaks here in the states and even less on the mutations. I will try and get some pics of the male to shed some light on what exactly he is.
Also, the the three babies are doing well. The one is...well...I honestly an not sure. It is definitely different then the other two. It has red eyes. I can see them forming under the still closed lids. And, the skin tone is definitely different then the other two.

Can you Kak experts shed some light??

Thanks,
Jessie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Welcome to our Community...
Being in NZ, the native land of kakriki...we dont have mutations here...
Thu we do have hybrids between Kakariki species thats bad.
The trouble is most of those who have hybrids are not awear of it.
It definately sounds like u have mutations.
The guys who are the experts in mutations are in Aussie and Europe, and are usually on later (Time Zones)
In the mean time if u can get some pics that would be of help to them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jessie,

w3c aboard.

Everyone gets along very well on the site and I dont think you will find any negativity amongst any of the members here. Steptoe is the "BOSS" and he keeps his flock well under control. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It sounds (from your description) that you in fact may have a Fallow cock bird paired to a cinnamon. The fallow mutation is very similar in appearance to the cinnamon but is usually a few shades lighter in colour and also has a distinct red eye whereas the cinnamon is born with the red eye but this changes to a darker colour whilst they are still in the nest.

We have both the cinnamon and fallow mutations in Australia and they to have been combined. It can make it very difficult to tell the two mutations apart once this happens. If you have young birds also showing the red eye I would suggest the hen must be cinnamon split to fallow also as the fallow mutation is recessive. Perhaps Peter (a fellow member on the site) will also comment as he has had a lot of breeding success with the fallow mutations in Europe.
Jessie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the w3c. I am pretty sure they are true..just mutations.
I am sure you understand my concern about joining a new board and asking questions. On some of the boards here in the states...you ask a question requesting assistance and you get crucified. Unbelievable.

Anyways, I am going to take some pics of my male today. His eyes are not totally red....they just have the reddish hue to then. He has the red iris and the rest of the eye is a reddish. He is very lightly colored.

Thanks,
Jessie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:

To ask a question, is motivated by a genuine interest in in an aspect of a subject.
From there, ppl will give their answers/opions honestly without judgement.
And the reasoning behind.
There are many occassions I have given opions or what I believe is correct, in these forums...these have been discussed, without malace...
I have sometimes stuck to my beliefs, other times see the logic of others, as have other members.
Always remeber, sometimes one ideas can be stupid, but that doesnt mean the person is stupid...its the stupid person who doesnt ask in the 1st place LoL

There are several threads (and pic) with owners birds, that have turned out to be hybrids...to their disapointment...at least they are now awhere, and the suppliers of these hybrids are becoming known.
You will also find a section in the Gallery with examples.

AND...put this down to my sick Kiwi humour... have a good look at the large Kakariki on the site banner signlol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

Steptoe,

You make me feel better about asking questions here. Like I said, I have been breeding other hookbills but the Kaks are new territory.

I have taken a gander at the Kak on the banner....LOL....however, I don't have any normal Kaks. The two pair I have are all mutations (supposedly). I have to take pictures so we can put this to rest once and for all. I am pretty sure they are pure. But, the Kak people here can definitely let me know.

Jess
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

The crown, and patch behind the eye should be pure red, no yellow on the edges or in these areas.
The patch behind the eye is well defined, thu can vary in shape and size
This doesnt always show up, but usaully does, thu it can do so in future off spring.
The crown its self can vary in colour, from a red to a deeper crimsion. This could be due to blood lines or even diet/enviroment, I cant say for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: