Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - I got a baby
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

I got a baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: I got a baby

YAY finally after some unsucsessful clutches i finally have a baby.....I have no idea how old it is but i am guessing pretty new......i lonly saw its head and im not game to bother mumma any more so i wont peek in again for a few days......there were 4 eggs and i could still see 2 eggs but only saw one baby head breifly before mum scraped it back under.....i can hear it though.....little peep peeps LOL.....i am so excited i know it is prob an everyday thing for some of you guys but for me it is so exciting i nearly cryed........I dont think i will even sleep tonight <v>
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

Congratulations Mum Applause Applause Applause Applause

As the chick gets older mum will spend more time out of the box so you will get plenty of chances for longer peeks as the chick grows. Make sure you feed plenty of greens and fresh fruit.

When the chick starts to pin feather keep an eye on it to make sure mum or dad doesn't pluck the feathers. If you check Karens birds (in her thread) you will see how quickly the birds can become plucked.

GOOD LUCK and keep us updated.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

baby is dead very dissapointed........I hope it wasnt me I onlt looked in the one time last night and tonight after hearing no sound at all this avo....I let them out for a fly and had a peek and it was dead no food in crop and had some yolk??? still stuck to its bottom........its leg had been chewed a bit but i have read mothers do this....to try to "wake them"

what are you guys opinions????
also whay should my male be doing as he never goes in the box
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
YAY finally after some unsucsessful clutches

Sry to hear...u have been real keen, and I dont see u doing anythingf wrong.
So much infertility, I wonder if u just have a miss matched pair, or they are inbreed or related?????

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

I dont see how they could be related......my hen was a rescue so i have always been a bit suss on her.....she seems to be very healthy but as i have mentioned before she is small........there are 3 eggs lft i will see what happens there
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
inbreed OR related?????

If u have a Kakariki that has been badly inbred..and infertile and prone to throwing deformed chicks...mating to a good partner will not change this.

Either 1 or both maybe at fault.

Quote:
she is small

Females a slightly smaller than the male...clearly noticable, but only just clearly noticable on ave sized pairs.

I would be getting hold of Kaka.riki or Cattscapes to source a good female...Both are reputanle breeders.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

She did not come from a good place so it is possible she is inbred.....she also had a very poor diet bfore i got her (not sure if that makes a diff) but you are right if i am serious about breeding i will get a high quality hen and leave this girl to just live a relaxed life.......In saying that i know nothing about tobys background at all... i just got him from a pet store....he is a big healthy looking boy but who knows the truth????
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:

You probably shoundn't give up on her just yet. Sometimes first time mums dont know what to do. Quite a few of mine have had dramas in the first nest and gone on to breed large clutches. My mottled hen for example i have had for 2.5 years and in that time she has laid 20 odd infertile eggs. Now just when i had decided to give up she has a new mate and 3 chicks with 2 eggs to hatch. Patience is the key. Cheers Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: