Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - unusual markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

unusual markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: unusual markings

Hi everyone, I have posted a pic. of one of my kakariki hens who is strangely marked. Just wondering if there is a possibility of there being a partial pied like there are partial ino birds.I hope to breed from this bird she is showing signs of going down at the moment. Keen to know what your thoughts are on this bird. Cheers Jenny

breeding season 2006 009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.51 KB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

breeding season 2006 009.jpg

kakariki hen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.28 KB
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

kakariki hen.jpg

kakariki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.84 KB
 Viewed:  217 Time(s)

kakariki.jpg

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:

I've noticed that the pied markings on the feets are not well-defined. I am not an expert in this but in my opinion there is partialy something wrong with the oxidation proces of eumelanin through which it remains brown (Cinnamon) instead of black.
Maybe it has something to do with the motled pied? Did you notice some progress in this pattern after moulting?
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

Hi Hilly and w3c to the site. Your bird looks to be a combination of a cinnamon bird and a green. The colour change in the feet could just be the cinnamon pigment mixed into the darker green pigment. She is a very nice bird. Do you know her history or were she came from ? Cheers Kev
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

Hi Peter and Kev,I bought her at a bird sale with the same markings she has now there has been no progression at all but her colours brightened after her first moult. She was out of a normal split cinnamon male and a cinnamon hen both with pied in them though i'm not sure which pied or how much colour they had on them. Initially I thought she was a combination of normal and cinnamon but her flights have more grey pigment than brown I have put her with a normal split cinnamon male lightly pied who came from a male bird which had some similer markings to my hen. duno cheers Jenny
Cattscapes
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jenny i hope you can reproduce this colour. Maybe someone out there in Australia has something like yours so you can outcross any babies. Hopefully its not like the halfsided mask lovebirds which is only a fluke. Keep us informed with your progress. Cheers Kev
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

Hi Kev, I'm hoping I can breed from her too but at this stage every bird I put in with her wants the hen next door who wont have a bar of her own mate wall Looks like I may have to shift her or put solid partitions in the cage as she is desperate to breed but the grass must be greener on the other side signlol cheers Jenny
eladbs2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:

hello

I have also mail in this color when he was yang
but when he replace the plume , and grow up he change hes color to cinnamon

elad
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: unusual colour

hilly,
this bird is beautiful, if you do breed her i would like to buy one of the babies. ive got an idea you can try. i hand reared 2 of my babies about a year and a half ago, now one was a cinnomon pied female and the other was a green pied male, now cinny as i called her was inside for about 6 months the other male was put back in the big avairy with his mum and dad and 2 other siblings ,i took the box out as it was summer and i didnt want to loose any in the heat. they all got on fine. i have a cage oppisite this one so i put cinny in there with a unrelated male.well putting it bluntly she beat the crap out of the male and the male had to be removed,so in went another unrelated male ,she just simply ignored this one,so that one was removed.i then waited for a while and gave it one more go with another,still no joy. so i contacted a very good friend of mine a very well known aviculturist who also has kakas and he took cinny to his place and put her with a very nice pied male,hey presto with in two weeks of being there she now has a partner and there mating and preparing there box. cross your fingers it looks good. now her brother one of the ones that wernt hand reared was put in the cage oppisite with a nice looking female and he didnt even look at her he spent all day hanging on the wire looking at his relations so she was removed and in went another hen ,same thing happend so he went to my mates place to,he to is now breeding fine. so now what i do with my young birds is put them all (the ones i want to breed from)in the same big avairy and i let them choose there own partners and as for related birds a put them far away from there relitives as there bond i think is so strong that they dont wont to leave there own family. i get lucky ever now and then and the pairs i put together stay together.hope theres some help in this for you
debbie
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for the advise, the hen is getting on well with her partner at the moment but is laying thin shelled eggs so I have increased her calcium intake to see if this helps, I may have to move her to another aviary as the one she is in doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight and maybe she isn't getting enough vitamin D. Cheers Jenny
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: hilly

jenny,
thin egg shells,ive had this problem with birds on there first sit when i first started breeding kakas, you cant go past the lime and calcium blocks that you buy in the little plastic white cups from city farmers .what i will say is that they are exspensive, especialy when you can make them yourself,i now get them from a friend of mine who makes his own with a lot more goodies added. the other is sprouted seed i can not stress enough about the benifits of this ,if done properly.
i dont know what sort of weather you have over there but here in west australia (perth) it is long hot summers and i wouldnt advise anyone to have ther avairys in the sun.my cages are all under trees,but in winter half there cages get a bit of sun in the morning, and yes sadly i learnt the hard way,in one summer alone i lost 7 birds,i nearly gave up birds for good,but i love them so much ,i just had to find the right way to do it,now i have and theres no looking back.
have a merry xmas <v>
debbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: