Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Newbie with a baby kak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Newbie with a baby kak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

sorry, damn the underline- doesn't work the way I wanted..K

Admin edit: what where u tring to do with the underline?
If u highlight the word(s) u wish to underline or make bold
then clk the B U above when editing or making a post

Cheers Steps
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

It is a very common occurence for hand raised Kakariki to end up with the back toes facing forward. As Steps pointed out this happens due to the fact that the bird is continually being made to stand on their legs before the bone structures have had time to strengthen. Young chicks actually tend to lie on their stomachs if they can.

To fix the problem you need to buy a piece of 1/2 inch dowell from the hadware store. Make a small perch that stands a few inches off the ground and when you feed your bird place him on the stand before you commence feeding. Gently spread the toes to their correct position on the perch and they will eventually correct themselves.

The toes are quite long on a Kakariki and that is why they tend to twist forward. If the toe does remain forward it wont affect the bird from being able to perch in the future. We have a cock bird that has a rear toe facing forward and he has bred many times.
lunaria1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

Thank you very much for all the answers...!!
I've immediately stopped to keep him outside his brooder for more time than need to be feeded. Today it seems going a bit better with the toe, but I'll buy the dowell the same in the case I'll need it.

about the food...I was going to do this when I'll be able to reduce a little formula (maybe 3 times a day only) and he'll have more feathers on...when he can stay out of the brooder...after the 2 next weeks? could be this ok?

my other pet bird usually eat lots of vegetables, also coocked, and fruits....I'm sorry, at the moment I'm missing the right words to describe all the variety - but it's quite great, as I do buy them when I buy food for me and I like changes ^_^

Is it correct if I start with very small seed like mile, bulgur, cous cous, raw and coocked, and with small chops of veggies?
at how many days is it correct to start with?

thank you all again for your kindness...you're really special and somehow life-saving to me ^_^
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

Your baby is still a long away from being any solid foods in my opinion. We wait until the young are fully feathered and completely out of the brooder before feeding solid type foods. There is a very real risk of the food souring in the crop if you "mix" too many items into the diet to early.

When the bird is fully feathered, housed at room temperature and down to 2 feeds a day is normally the time to place dry seeds and fresh fruit in their cage. As they start to eat more of the food you have placed in the cage the feeds are reduced back to one a day and eventually dropped altogether.
lunaria1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

great...it's as I was thinking.
so, nothing to change before 2 or 3 weeks...there's a lot to do before saying he's fully feathered....

what else may I do to make him feel comfortable?

Dancing
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: solids -too young

Hi, sorry but Kakariki is right. Your baby isn't ready yet to eat solids. You can start him picking on solids (not eating) at around 4 weeks. This is just a good way to let them investigate and keep busy. You do not want him to ingest much more than the baby formula so he will not have problems with digestion.. K
lunaria1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

thank you again ^_^ I'm not going to make him eat solid at the moment, he's eating 4 times a day at the moment (7 am, 1 pm, 6 pm and 10.30 pm) so there's a lot to do.
I'll try to post more photos as he's getting more and more feathered as the time passes by and he's cuter than ever.
lunaria1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

new photo <v>

kimala10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.1 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

kimala10.jpg

ziggygee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

He is absolutely adorable. You must love him so much.
Well done with all your good work.
lunaria1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

thank you very much :oops: I'm trying to do my best and you all are very helpfull.
Kimala's growing nice and lovely and I like him very much. He's started to call me from the brooder and sometimes just to be caressed and held, not only for being fed.

I'm still a bit worried for his facing-forward-toe - it doesn't turn back and I'm afraid to turn it - I don't want to hurt him.

There's also another complication - I've to give back the brooder hopely at the end of the next week...will he be fine? he's almost fully feathered - except his head I mean.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:

Laura,

Gradually lower the temperature in brooder between now and when you have to return it. I would suggest perhaps one degree (celcius) per day. That will reduce any stress on your young bird with a sudden change in temperature conditions. Also try to keep him in a room where the temperature is stable.

In regard to the forward toe, if you gently hold the toe back and teach your bird to sit on a perch (the piece of dowel I mentioned before) the toe will rectify itself. It is better to do it while the bird is still young because once they are fully fledged and sit on a perch with the toe forward it will be very hard to fix.
lunaria1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject:

ok, thank you.
in this moment, the temperature inside the brooder is around 22,5 - 23 °C, in the room is around 21-20. I guess there should be non problem in lowering the temperature in time.
This evening we'll see the vet - it's a great day thinking about weather and there should be no problems - and maybe we can fix the toe or the vet can teach me how to be not afraid of hurting him while I fix it.

today he made me found a surprise: he was out of his box, hiding behind it and...silent!
I was scared to death signlol
I lifted the box and he started to make his new noise - the one like a laughter - looking at me like he was founding the trick very very funny..... wall wanted to eat him signlol
lunaria1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:

by the way: I notice 3 or 4 feathers green on the back of his neck.....I wasnt' expecting them....what does it mean? He's supposed to be a red crown lutino....
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

lunaria1 wrote:
by the way: I notice 3 or 4 feathers green on the back of his neck.....I wasnt' expecting them....what does it mean? He's supposed to be a red crown lutino....

Hi Lunaria,

I don't think your bird is a Lutino. Lutino's have red eyes. Your bird is what we call a Black eyed clear. An advanced form of pied. In Europe we call them Goldcheck (complete yellow) or golden yellow. The yellow is much brighter than that of a true Lutino.

Peter
lunaria1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused.....I mean, he HAS red eyes...really...I'll try to make new photos I think. Guess that the only thing that's important is that he's healty and not an hybrid. But you're right, the yellow is really bright.

new questions...
yesterday I've kept him a bit out of the brooder - the temperature in the room isn't this different from the one inside - as he looked like he wanted attentions and play. I've used the minutes outside to turn the toe back over my fingers. he can turn it back but he doesn't seem eager to do it.
can I keep on, or is it better to fix the toe - maybe to the other toe?

another one: he's started to taste everything he finds around him: t-shirt, skin, fingers and so on. sometimes he hurts me a little.
what can I do to let him taste and test what he's got around, without giving him the habit of biting in the future?
is it enough saying him "no", turning his beak away, like we do with adult parrots?

thank you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: