Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Just Settling in Perhaps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Just Settling in Perhaps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachel123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Just Settling in Perhaps?

Hi There,

This is my first post on your excellent site.

I have only last week purvhased a male Kakariki, his name is Kaka, the pet shop say he is a year old.

As you will see from the photo he has a lot of feather loss, the pet shop said that he was picked on the the females he shared a cage with and that they did it.Does this sound likely, or have we bought a poorly bird? Will his feather grow in time.

We are happy to give him all the love and care he needs yet there are still a few things that seem odd. Any advice would be appreciated.

He is not interested in fresh fruit or vegetabels, i have read all the wonderful combinations that are listed on the site and he does not feel the need to try anything at all, he just eats seed and mainly sunflower at that, which i know is not very healthy.

The other thing which i have noticed, is that i dont think he is drinking from his water dispenser, it never appears to go down, yet before he gets in his daily bath he will always have a drink.

I have read a lot of your site and have already had a lot of questions answered, so any advice on this would help.

Thanks

Rachel

Kaka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.89 KB
 Viewed:  149 Time(s)

Kaka.jpg

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Rachel,

Birds who are used to eat seeds only need more time to adapt on other food like veggies and fruit. Give him a few months. Try to give him veggies only. Once he is used to it he saves the seeds for last. Also try to sprout the seeds. Sprouted seeds have a better nutritional value.

The featherloss is probably the result of mites. Ivermectin is the most powerfull product to beat these. It is only available from a vet. Ask him for a pour-on. Its causes the birds less stress then an injection and you can use it yourself.

Peter
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

He does look a bit sad doesnt he Wink I dont know about the feather loss but with his diet I would just continue with the veg for him he will eventually get there.......maybe if you pick out the sunflower seeds from his mix too this might help..leave about 3 in there for the while day and he will eat some of the other seed too........after a few weeks you could lessen the amount of seed in his cage and this also might encourage him to eat his veggies
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I have had kakariki looking similiar to the photo when breeding and they recover quickly (within a few weeks) to a normal plumage.

I also saw some immaculately feathered kakariki start to look scruffy and loose feathers after a couple of weeks of being cooped up in a small cage at a pet shop.
rachel123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your comments, he is happy in him self, he is quite brave and will come out for a fly around the room, i hope his feathers do improve with lotion and that his diet eill eventually adapt to things that are healthier for him.

Thanks again
ziggygee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: It may sound silly - but ...

Hi, You deserve a big gold star for buying your little bird, but I think the pet shop should be given a good smack! I agree it looks like mite & get him to a vet ASAP. Many years ago we aquired a couple of budgies & they where in the same state. They were both treated by the vet, lotion to put on them & both flourished to be beautiful birds & lived full, long & happy lives.

I have only had Kakariki's for 2 and a half years. My first, Millie came to us very timid & withdrawn. Her feathers weren't wonderful, but soon improved. Although she had been fed & watered on seed & only occasionally apple I soon had her eating well & looking a lot healthier.

I know this might sound silly but talk to your little bird about anything under the sun & (more important) sing to him, even if like me you have a lousy singing voice LOL!. All birds love to be gently sung to & it will help him on his road to recovery. Spend as much time being with him as you can, he will come to trust & love you. Introduce him slowly to new & different fruits & veggies.

Best of luck & keep in touch so we know how you're both doing.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

Wehave 'resucued' several /Kakariki over the yrs....
Like Peter comments, it take months for them to adapt to a new heathy diet....thu we are of a different veiw, we keep suppling seed and let them make the transition in their time without any sudden change.

Most reputable pet shops will worm and dose for mites before the bird is sold....if not do as Peter suggests and carry out such maintenance.

Feather conditions as illustrated can be from many issues, from diet, inbreeding, aggression from other birds, and deases...
It is not a good idea to purchase a bird in poor condition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: