Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Advice on indoor cages, pairing & diet, please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Advice on indoor cages, pairing & diet, please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziggygee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Advice on indoor cages, pairing & diet, please.

Arnie our male kak, now 15 weeks old & Millie our female are now very friendly with each other. It's taken nearly 3 week's for Millie to realize she REALLY DOES LIKE Arnie! She is no longer aggressive to him a is now following him in flight & calling to him. They are hopping in & out of each other's cages & a couple of times every day Milly gets hormonal towards him... but it looks as if she may have to wait as Arnie, although very interested & quite excited about Millie's obvious invitation, doesn't really seem to know what he is supposed to do - LOL! Is he still a bit immature to be able to mate?
Anyway I now feel a lot more confident about housing them together in one indoor cage. They live in our living room which is large & we have a corner free for a large cage. We are thinking of getting the largest cage possible with 1.6 to 1.8cm spacing between the bars would this be the best choice?
I've started to introduce new veggies to their diet, broccli & pomegranit.
& they love both. I'm still a bit uncertain on giving them chicken bones, minced beef, pasta & cheese. Surely, the last 2 are too high in carbohydrate? Advice needed!
At the moment they get an assortment of mixed seed & a few mixed nuts daily. For their fruit & veg they have, kiwi fruit, apple, strawberry, grape, clementine, cucumber, tomato, baby sweetcorn. I have tried celery & carrot but neither of them are keen.
Thank's again for this wonderful, informative, fun website, best on the whole world-wide web! Applause
armyken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Just a quick sidenote on the carrots, have you tried rasping them? Mine eats carrots if they're rasped.
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Ziggy,sounds like your pair are getting along really well now, males have been known to fertilize eggs from as early as four months but I would wait until you see a complete performance before you put their box in as milly will lay regardless of whether they do the job or not. I would probably opt for the smaller spacing between the wires as kakarikis tend to get themselves in some awkward positions and you wouldn't want them sqeezing their heads through the bars. Your diet sounds fine my birds seem to like the carrot when they are feeding their young ,it is often the first thing they pick out. Good luck with them both cheers Jenny.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

Pasta...no, cheese in very small 'treat' amounts.
Too much Broccolli and some other foods can cause problems unless a balanced diet is given
ie to obsorb iron (grubs/meat, spinach) requires fruit (citric acid)

When cooking dinner, the potato scrapes, pumpkin skin, peas shells, carrot peelings and tops, chopped up are good for them, and fruit separate.
Add a few peas, sweet corn, sprouted mung/alfafa/bean that can be purcheased at the supermarket....washed weeds out of the garden, like danilion, puha (type of milk thistle).
At 1st u will find they will 'love 'a particular food' I believe this is simily them correcting a diet deficiency, then they settle down to a bit of everything. The balance of types to fruit/veggies will also vary as to seasons and breeding times...
Observing what they eat and what changes is also an interesting part of Keeping kakatiki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

Hi again, Thank you so much for all the w3c advice. A special hello & thank's to Steptoe... so the broccli is OK in small amounts so long as they are getting the clemantines or nectarines to balance it up? And there will be less veggie peelings be going into the bin in future. LOL! .. Kind Regards to all, Ziggy (& Millie & Arnie)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

They love the broccollo stems, and other veggie parts we dont normally eat, like the base of cellery, carrot tops. potato peelings....
And these are the parts that have the most nutrition. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: