Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - n00b with alot of questions +_+
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

n00b with alot of questions +_+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliveoil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: n00b with alot of questions +_+

Hi! :)
well the title basically says it all. about a week ago i got a new kakariki (his name is olive) and its doing pretty well. i have had a lovebird and a parakeet in the past (someday someone should start a thread comparing kakarikis and lovebirds.. they're like day and night Rolling Eyes ) so i know a lot of the basic parrot stuff, but then i have a lot of questions for kakarikis in detail.

1) are kakarikis high strung? cuz mine sure is +_+
2) what kind of sounds to kakarikis make and what mood (or something) do they mean? my kak makes soft chirps, loud chirps/trills (loud meaning 1/4 the sound of my lovebird), and high pitched squeaky whining sounds.
3) does the little strip of yellow on the base of the nose fade with age? because its so cute Sad
4) do kakariki's grow louder with age? mine is a little angel right now (i live in an apartment) but i'm just wondering if this is just a "baby phase".

eek so many questions. thank yous to whoeevrs answers them!
:D
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
1) are kakarikis high strung? cuz mine sure is +_+

No, of all the parrots they are least highly strung, and most tolerant and independant by nature
Thu depends on what one defines as highly strung...They are very active, on the go all the time, where as other parrots can just sit on a perch much of the day....

Quote:
2) what kind of sounds to kakarikis make and what mood (or something) do they mean? my kak makes soft chirps, loud chirps/trills (loud meaning 1/4 the sound of my lovebird), and high pitched squeaky whining sounds.

Kakariki have a very wide vocab., As u observe and get to know your bird u will get to understand their moods and calls...
Even to the extent, for example, we can tell the difference in calls to, a stray cat, dog, one of our cats, mouse or a visitor. Each sound is very similar but varies slightly...One just to know what they are talking about.

Quote:
4) do kakariki's grow louder with age? mine is a little angel right now (i live in an apartment) but i'm just wondering if this is just a "baby phase".

No not louder but do chirp more often and varied depending on what is going on at the time. One can even get into consevations with them by making similar sounds (doesnt need to be close) at the same rate and volume.
Kakariki are a quiet parrot ...I mean in volume rather than how often.
Due to the indepentant nature of Kakariki they are not prone to feather lose and other problems other species have as pets. They are very friendly, yet still do their own thing, when they want, be it a cuddle and scratch or just ripping up a newspaper.

Dont mix Lovebirds with other birds....dont let the name fool you, they will kill other (even much larger ) birds at a blink of an eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:

thank you steptoe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: